Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 8:06 pm

If those CFL light bulbs break, it's recommended that the room gets evacuted for 15 minutes. We're all doomed!

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/artic ... E_ID=59554

Disclaimer about this link. The writers for this web site are fanatics about a lot of things but nevertheless, entertaining at times.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 8:30 pm

But CFL bulbs are 100% SAFE unless Flourescent bulbs aren't! Of course, NEITHER is safe, but WHY do they pick on only the little CFL ones!?!?

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 8:31 pm

I can't believe this is only just making the news.

Those things are dangerous!! You don't vacuum them, you're actually meant to get in toxic waste disposal people. But that's effort. So use rubber gloves, don't inhale any dust or vapours, seal it all in a bag, wipe it with a damp cloth, and hope for the best.

Does anyone else have a problem with these things flickering? The flickering - even in the new 'non-flicker' ones pisses me off. I get major headaches from them, and they make my eyes sore and my vision worse. They also distort the colour spectrum badly. And the high-pitched squeal they give off drives me mad.

I really hope they don't ban them in Britain outright and the govt listens to the groups saying that traditional ones are needed as some people with some conditions can't handle the energy-saving ones, and don't just give in to big business pressure as they're likely going to. I'll be stocking up on the traditional bulb big-time if they do.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Jan 2008, 8:38 pm

My landlord is environmentally conscious, which is good. Recently, he started stressing that people should replace all their light bulbs with these CFL ones. I asked if I absolutely had to, and he looked disgusted, but said no. I'd just be so afraid of dropping one.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 8:48 pm

OregonBecky wrote:
If those CFL light bulbs break, it's recommended that the room gets evacuted for 15 minutes. We're all doomed!

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/artic ... E_ID=59554

Disclaimer about this link. The writers for this web site are fanatics about a lot of things but nevertheless, entertaining at times.

Would this make you feel better?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7172662.stm

It's actually the leading story on there.

Disclaimer about this link. It's the BBC. ;)

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 9:11 pm

This is all ecoswhacko religiosity. Several years ago they got mercury batteries banned because the mercury would surely kill us all. M&ny fine cameras and other small electronic devices were instantly unusable. Now they mandate the use of mercure containing devices.

No logical consstancy? Yes there is, more laws and higher living expences. Very consistant.

And if the flicker is a problem for some, well consider headaches and seizures a sacrifice to Gaia.

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 9:12 pm

LeKiwi wrote:
Does anyone else have a problem with these things flickering? The flickering - even in the new 'non-flicker' ones pisses me off. I get major headaches from them, and they make my eyes sore and my vision worse. They also distort the colour spectrum badly. And the high-pitched squeal they give off drives me mad.

YES.

I hate that.

The traditional light bulbs give off mercury vapor too... but these are the worst and I hope our government bans them. But they're stupid, so they won't.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 9:14 pm

There are better ways to save the planet than to use a different kind of lightbulb...

Recycle, 'freecycle', refuse plastic bags, switch things off when they aren't being used, use natural and sustainable products, limit the chemicals in your life, go for fair trade products, turn the tap off when you aren't using it (ie brushing teeth etc), insulate your house properly, etc...

Most importantly, just use less! It's the consumerism that's killing this planet, not the use of normal bulbs over CFLs.

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 9:17 pm

So pay a little more, buy LED bulbs that will last forever and run off a hamster wheel's output....

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 9:24 pm

Even those annoy me though.

The traditional ones are the only ones that use 'natural' light, ie heat light (all natural light sources make the light from burning and therefore constant sources... fire, the moon, sunlight etc). Not flickering annoying electric light.

I figure that with everything else I do (I measured my carbon footprint the other day and it was less than half of what they want everyone to aim for in the UK) using normal traditional bulbs is ok.

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 9:31 pm

Well I usually use the regular bulbs for cost savings. I have a number of CFL's, and about half don't work anymore even though they're nowhere NEAR their "lifetime" according to the package. As far as preferring heat light... Oil lamps? Candles? Firepit?

If they bring the cost down I have no problem with LED's. I use the LED flashlights and love 'em.

singularitymadam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: I live in a Mad Max movie. It's not as fun as it sounds.

06 Jan 2008, 10:07 pm

LeKiwi wrote:
The traditional ones are the only ones that use 'natural' light, ie heat light (all natural light sources make the light from burning and therefore constant sources... fire, the moon, sunlight etc). Not flickering annoying electric light.

While you are correct in stating that incandescent bulbs produce light from heat, it isn't natural light. Compact fluorescents are designed to emulate natural light, as indicated by their other common name: full-spectrum lighting. If installed properly (not in a dimmer when the light isn't built to be dimmed), CFLs shouldn't buzz or flicker. I use them a lot at home, and they prevent many of the headaches I get elsewhere. I also use heavy lampshades, because they can be too bright.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 10:18 pm

AspieDave wrote:
So pay a little more, buy LED bulbs that will last forever and run off a hamster wheel's output....

Yeah, but how do you hook the bulb up to the wheel? And what if the little bugger won't run? How do you light things up then?

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 10:21 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:

Quote:
AspieDave wrote:

Yeah, but how do you hook the bulb up to the wheel? And what if the little bugger won't run? How do you light things up then?

Well I don't want to give away ALL my secrets, but if you have to you work out something with the rat mafia and they have a little TALK with the hamster.... know what I mean??

If that doesn't work.... one word..... cattleprod.

Rosenametaken
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jan 2008, 10:41 pm

LeKiwi wrote:

Me, too. Headaches, can't tell if they're from the noise or the light. And I'm really irritable.

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 11:02 pm

If the light bulbs bother you I'd suggest staying away from purchasing a plasma screen tv. They are known for doing the same things...

and Rosenametaken I love the siggy, I just saw that for the first time tonight on a plaque in a catalog and said I need to hand that in my office. :lol: