Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

herakh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jan 2008, 10:17 am

hi, im new to this forum and i have a question that needs clarification

having AS means having preference for sameness. what does that means? does it means that AS has trouble in adapting, or what?

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 10:34 am

herakh wrote:
hi, im new to this forum and i have a question that needs clarification

having AS means having preference for sameness. what does that means? does it means that AS has trouble in adapting, or what?

It means preferring to have the same things all the time,such as wanting to wear the same clothes all the time [for some,this means never taking them off,until other people get involved],preferring the same quilt sheet,wallpaper etc.
Not all aspies/aspergans/people with AS [which ever one are used to] have problems with change as judging by the various ASD forums,there's a lot of difference amongst aspies as there is amongst the autism spectrum as a whole.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 10:39 am

it also can mean just having a routine. As long as you feel some control over your environment or surroundings, which can mean having a sameness to them, it's cool.

When things remain the same, you're not pulled out of things to have to adapt to change. I can do it, but I don't like it very much.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 10:48 am

KingdomOfRats wrote:
Not all aspies/aspergans/people with AS [which ever one are used to] have problems with change as judging by the various ASD forums,there's a lot of difference amongst aspies as there is amongst the autism spectrum as a whole.

As for me, I generally like changes a lot but not when they concern any change in my room - each item in my bedroom has its own place which can't be changed if there's no such a need. I also don't like it when my daily routine is changed but here it also depends what kind of disturbance it is - if something what makes me glad happens or if an event that is to take place affects me negatively.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 10:51 am

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

herakh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jan 2008, 11:03 am

well, i dont know whether this is a symptom or not, but i usually have things planned out like 3 or 4 hours ahead of time, like i might be sitting in my classroom, and i will just plan what am i going to do when im going home. then, after the class is over, my class mate ask me to go out and i just said no, because i already planned to go home. even if i did go with my friend, i will be like 'what are you doing?' or 'you should be going home'.

i do have a tendency to wear the same shirt or pants, like i will wear the same pants for the entire day, wash it in the morning later, and then wear it back when its dry. also, before im going to sleep, i will always have to wear the same long sleeve shirt (this pattern can be traced back to my childhood,shirts have changed but it still long sleeve) or else, im going to have some trouble sleeping. but i usually write this off as a habit, or is it symptom for AS?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 11:19 am

I have to spike my hair, every day. I want Slim-Fast for breakfast, every morning. I want to wear jeans and a T-shirt, all the time, to the point that I've forgotten how to dress up. I order sausages, every time that my threesome goes out to a restaurant that serves all-day breakfast. I'd be contempt to be working in a factory, where I was doing the same tasks, part-time, four days a week, with my music playing.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 11:29 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I have to spike my hair, every day. I want Slim-Fast for breakfast, every morning. I want to wear jeans and a T-shirt, all the time, to the point that I've forgotten how to dress up. I order sausages, every time that my threesome goes out to a restaurant that serves all-day breakfast.

I start my day visiting the same forums, I always buy tuna casserole, I derive pleasure from reading still the same books and fanfics (recently those Harry Potter ones while some weeks ago I was concentrated mostly on "Terminator" fanfiction and earlier I was fascinated with Star Trek fics), I am still listening to the same songs from Youtube.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 11:48 am

Same old, same old topic

I have a hunch this might be related to echolalia. :idea: (Echolalalalalia!) I like my environment to not change, but my NT kids like chaos and redistributing objects here and there. This drives me around the bend, when I would rather stay where I am. :? (My mind is what moves around, which is sufficient.) Welcome to WP, herakh!

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 11:49 am

In my case, it's very simple. Aesthetic proportion looks good. That's one reason we make our technology and furniture with geometrically simple shapes in mind. And it's why rubies and diamonds are so beautiful.

Oh, you meant routine. Maybe it's a similar appreciation for the laws of nature.

Like a drop of blood in a tank of flesh-eating piranhas, a new idea never fails to arouse the wrath of herd prejudice.

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 12:29 pm

I like a routine--- sometimes, I'll change something up, but even then it's usually a planned event. It's not a strict, strict routine... there are variations on it--- like, I have 4 things I'd like to get done today, but I can only do 3. So I pick 3 from the 4 choices and do them. It's usually things I do every day like clockwork. If I don't get to do as I planned and I get nothing done, or only 1 thing--- it can be pretty upsetting. But then I'll just resume it again tomorrow anyway, so it's not really that bad except for that day.

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 4:00 pm

It means that when I wake up in the morning, I like to have three things (cereal, a granola bar and a glass of orange juice) and if one of these things is missing, it causes...discomfort. It's not so simple as just saying, "Oh well. I guess I'll eat waffles today." Usually I eat nothing for breakfast and the whole days feels off.

Or that I don't like things moved from where I put them. And that I hate it when things change around me like when a store I frequent moves things around, when my doctor paints his office a different color or replaces the carpet, or when the packaging of a product I use changes. It also becomes difficult for me to break out of certain clothing "cycles". Since about 1994 I have a preference for "sporty" attire (i.e. wind pants and a hoodie, shorts and a t-shirt) or leggings and long shirts or sweaters. In anything else I feel so uncomfortable I almost struggle to function if I cannot change for some reason. Sameness feels good.