Page 5 of 16 [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next

Are you a good driver?
Yes 43%  43%  [ 289 ]
Fairly 26%  26%  [ 174 ]
Not so much 11%  11%  [ 76 ]
No 20%  20%  [ 131 ]
Total votes : 670

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 10:24 am

I like driving.

I drive a lot, Yes I have my limitations but 99% of other drivers do too and they don't even realise it.

I regularly drive a white van and when it's engine ain't busted I love driving my Lotus :)

YoshiyahuAvram
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jan 2008, 6:05 am

I've held my driving licence for nearly a year and I cant seem to drive well. My parents complained bout my poor judgement when driving.

staircase
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jan 2008, 1:52 pm

i'm 12 and i have my driving license, ha yeah, it's probally got something to do with the fact i had him tied up in the trunk of The instructors car, and told him i'd put one through him If he didn't give me the license, so i got one, and i've run over 350 old ladies, 25069 school kids, (they had it coming for picking on me) and 1000000000+ police men with guns and truncheons.

hadapurpura
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 3:18 pm

I'm not a good driver. Too many things to concentrate on at once, but I do have a license. I just need to really leran to drive (which I WILL do), and voilá.

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 9:24 am

I do drive but I hate it - especially on highways - there is something about how fast things move on the highway - if I drive too long I get dizzy and feel disconnected - but I have visual perceptual issues, as well

I wish I lived somewhere with good public transportation, but I live in Texas where it apparently some sort of sin :roll:

Albion
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Jan 2008, 8:53 pm

I've been driving since about 21. My mom wouldn't let me take my test while I lived with her until I could pay for my own insurance. In the first few years I got tons of tickets and lost my license. After I realized that my car insurance was way to high I calmed down a bit. Now I won't usually go more then 6 or 7 miles over the limit. In the last couple of years since I've received my motorcycle license I've gotten even more old-man-ish in my car. I keep more of an eye on everything that's going around me.

I'm not sure if anyone else here rides a motorcycle, but I feel the most calm with the wind blowing on my face at 40 mph. It took me 10 years to get myself through my anxieties and learn how to ride. It was well worth the fight.

-Craig

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2008, 7:39 am

I'm a good driver. Very cautious. Freinds tell me I drive like am old lady. I'm consistently amazed at how rude, and how reckless some drivers are ....

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2008, 7:56 am

i think im an ok driver. i become inattentive when people are in the car with me talking to me though and i dont like being told how to park.

i however cannot drive a manual car. An automatic is so much easier to deal with, just wheel, accelerator, brake.

Taking a break.

Albion
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Jan 2008, 9:55 am

zen_mistress wrote:
i become inattentive when people are in the car with me talking to me though...

So true!

-Craig

UnclScrewtape
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jan 2008, 10:35 pm

I am an adequate driver. Of course, my wife is a (by her own admission) horrible passenger. If I drive anywhere with her, I'm always tense. And when I'm tense, I tend to make mistakes.

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2008, 10:37 pm

Is it even possible for people with AS to drive a car?

SpaceStace
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Jan 2008, 10:46 pm

My car insurance company thinks I'm a good driver. I've also been in conversations with people where they were saying everyone thinks they're good drivers even though obviously most are not, and they followed up by saying I actually am a good driver.

Maybe because I feel it imperative to always stay in the middle of the lane and use my turn signal and all the little things like that. And maybe because I can focus on my driving and what's happening on the road around me and avoid distraction usually.

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

31 Jan 2008, 10:49 pm

Berserker wrote:
Is it even possible for people with AS to drive a car?

I am almost 52 years old and have been driving since I was 18. I have always been a good driver and even receive a safe driver's discount on my insurance premium. For me, driving is extremely relaxing (as long as I know where I am going).

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2008, 11:00 pm

Interesting. Mum won't let me get a driver's lisence, because she seems to think I'll be a dangerous driver.

picklesandmayo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Feb 2008, 11:52 am

I am not 100% positive I have Aspergers, but driving happens to be one of my obsessions (along with cars in general, especially VW's)

Every time I drive, unless I am extremely exhausted, I have to drive at the maximum speed possible. Within reason. I've had my license since 2000, and I have been able to teach myself how to take the best line through a corner, and how to keep the weight of the car on whichever axle it is needed during a corner among other techniques.

I've had my license suspended several times due to the amount of speeding tickets I have gotten (I have at least 14 moving violations, and have been pulled over many more times). I have never been in a collision while moving. A mexican backed into me once in a parking lot (after walking AROUND my car, getting into his, and then backing up into me...)

Maybe this will help answer your question.

angelgirl1224
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2008, 12:23 pm

Good subject.
I dont drive.
I am 16 and it is illegal in the Uk.
I hope i will be okay at driving.
I hope
lol
although men are better drivers than woman. So You know :D