Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2008, 12:14 pm

To determine whether or not I have Aspergers, I've been seeing a therapist for the last 7 or 8 months. And yesterday was about one of the worst sessions I have ever had. I was having a really severe AADD day that day. Because I swear to you that I had only a 30 second attention span. Every time she asked me a question, after 30 seconds I completely zoned out and forgot the question I was answering! And that happened the entire session. I spent the whole time trying to very strategically answer the questions. It was really, really embarrassing.

Has this happened to anyone else?

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2008, 12:22 pm

tiz the story of my life.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2008, 12:34 pm

Yea i have a short attention span too, my mind wanders, so i say let it wander haha

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2008, 12:45 pm

Have a very poor attention span.

Obres
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2008, 12:58 pm

Not me, my attention span is just fi

Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2008, 1:02 pm

I fell asleep during a therapy session once..

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2008, 5:56 pm

It was so damn embarrsassing to be answering a question, only to realize halfway in that I had no ide what I was replying to. And for the love of God the last thing I wanted to do was say "Can you repeat the question?"

Ooh look! It's snowing outside!

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2008, 6:01 pm

Hahaha that was me at work today. Thankfully the boss wasn't in because I got approximately NOTHING done all day... I just couldn't focus on any one thing, I ended up with 15 websites open at the end of the day, plus my music on. I was stimming like mad (which thankfully is me just swinging rapidly side to side on my swivel chair, so it doesn't look too obvious) but even THAT didn't focus me as it normally would. It was just stupid, waste of time even being there when I'm in one of those moods. I just wanted to read stuff and learn stuff and couldn't take in info fast enough from wikipedia and google and whatnot.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 6:25 am

I had the worst ADHD day of my life a few weeks ago. I couldn't pay attention at all, even in such crucial situation in which I had to cross the streets. I annoyed my classmates by not sitting still and I couldn't stop talking. I told myself I'd try hard to listen to the teachers - and I could do so, for an amazing half a minute until I had forgotten all about it and started chatting with my friend yet again.

I only have traits of AD(H)D thanks to my mom who has it and usually it isn't all that bad and gives me little trouble. I do not know what caused it to be this extreme on that particular day, but I know that this is not an experience I want to have a second time.

MaterialDefender
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Jan 2008, 7:22 am

Even when reading the posts on this board, I sometimes zone when reading a big paragraph and skip to another paragraph without thinking. I also have a hard time starting books. I will "read" the words, but the meaning doesn't sink in because I partially zone out which results in me having to re-read things often.

I used to see someone to help me with my social skills and I zoned out ever once in a while, resulting in me trying to act like I actually knew what was said. I have never been diagnosed with anything though.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 7:41 am

It depends on whether I'm interested in what I'm listening to. If I'm interested, I'm good till...forever. If I'm not interested, I'll kinda block it out and give "stock" answers/thoughts as I'm thinking of what I'm interested in.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 6:07 pm

I hate how long it takes for me to do anything...For instance..right now I am trying to clean and pack the cramped..dense messy little kitchen....I put three pieces of dusty cracked flatware into a box and flick....my mind changes channels.....flick...flick....flick....OK.....an our has gone by.....another few pieces into a box......flcik...my mind switches over to the "maybe I should make another list" channel...or the ineffective "things to focus on instead of the thing you are trying to focus on..that might possibly help you focus more" channel......

There are actually several kitchen cleaning channels...in the kitchen cleaning network...."the figure out what to do with the crusty old toaster oven" channel and the "Secret wildlife of the kitchen cupboards" channel and the "whats behind the door with the Table against it?" channel....

so of course watching the Simpsons is way more appealing than all of these.... :roll:

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 6:11 pm

Poopy - YOU SOUND JUST LIKE ME!! !

Geez, I had a shower yesterday and I was under the water for 40 minutes because I just kept getting distracted and just stood there thinking, and then I'd be like "Oh! Shampoo!" *wash it out* ....5 minutes... "Oh woops, better put some conditioner in..." Uuuuuuuuuugh. Hate to think what it does to the power bill!!

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 7:30 pm

I seem to have wild swings in attention span- from not being able to focus on ANYTHING, even for a few seconds, to spending as much as 8 or 9 hours at a stretch completely focused on just one thing.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 8:00 pm

Can you condence the question somewhat please?
I got bored half way through.

Whisperer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jan 2008, 8:23 pm

Short attention span + hyperfocusing is one of my most conspicuous traits.
. . . lack patience too.