Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 5:32 pm

Do you ever have an interest which nobody else seems to care about or they just think it's weird?
I seem to. I try to point out something I find interesting and can get the answer "Do I care?" Just last month a UK store named Woolworths was closing. That store came an obsession for me and I had to visit it when I passed it, much to others annoyance. Also I like to watch SpongeBob in other languages (I've seen it in 30 languages) and people say "Why? You can't understand what they're saying."

SpongeBobRocksMao!

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 5:51 pm

I believe Woolworth's was the first 'five and dime' store. A lot of them have closed down here as well.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 5:53 pm

Firstly, yeah, people think I'm weird cos I talk about politics whenever I get the chance.

Secondly, that Woolworths closing sale was awesome! I've done my Christmas shopping a year in advance due to the rock bottom prices!

y es como un semestre"

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 5:53 pm

Whenever I watch one of my favorite anime shows, I only watch the parts where my favorite characters have good chunks of dialog. I don't like watching the action scenes and I don't care about the plot. I guess that would seem pretty boring to most people.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 5:59 pm

I like a role-playing game called "Traveller." It's billed as "Science-Fiction Adventure In The Far Future." I've referee'd several games in the 1980's, but none since the late 1990's. Too bad, because it's one of the few times that I actually enjoy interacting with people - maybe it's my love of the science-fiction genre over any other. Anyway, whenever the topic of games comes up, I'll be right in there, pitching Traveller, and trying to recruit players (usually without any success).

The drawbacks are:

1. For most people, it seems that science-fiction is defined by any TV show or movie francise with the word "Star" in its title. :eew:

2. Again, for most people, it seems that role-playing games are defined by either "Magic: The Gathering" or "World of Warcraft." :(

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

falcorn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jan 2009, 6:12 pm

i am always late as f**k on everything i like, it never fails. whenever something comes out and is popular i dont like it, then like 3 years later when everyone has moved on i get obsessed with it

examples:

pokemon
harry potter
DDR
a lot of other stuff

and it's not on purpose it just happens that way doh

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 6:17 pm

falcorn wrote:
i am always late as f**k on everything i like, it never fails. whenever something comes out and is popular i dont like it, then like 3 years later when everyone has moved on i get obsessed with it

examples:

pokemon
harry potter
DDR
a lot of other stuff

Me too, at the moment my two favourite shows are Friends and Sex and the City, both of which have ended now, LOL. So all I have are repeats (and DVDs).

But in my defense, when Sex and the City was on TV, I was too young to watch it (actually, I'm too young to watch it now, LOL). And a lot of people still watch Friends repeats, even the popular people at my school, so it ain't that sad, LOL.

y es como un semestre"

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 6:22 pm

I used to play Microsoft Flight Simulator for hours. I downloaded a bunch of detailed terrain mesh and I enjoyed just going around exploring the terrain, trying to see if I could locate different mountain ranges, canyons, etc. I also once spent 5 hours on the computer flying from one side of the country to the other. Nobody else I know has the attention span for that kind of thing. They only play games where they're constantly shooting at crap.

I also used to replay games I'd already finished over and over again until I pretty much memorized the whole game. I can't count how many times I played through Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. As soon as I finished it I started playing again from the beginning. My brother didn't understand why I enjoyed doing this so much.

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 6:31 pm

falcorn wrote:

examples:

pokemon
harry potter
DDR
a lot of other stuff

I was obsessed with Pokemon for about a year. I suppose that might not have been particularly weird if I was ten, but seeing as I was in my late twenties, one could class it as weird. I still like it now, and sometimes find myself relating other things in daily life to Pokemon.

I'd like to know if I'm the oldest Pokemon fan here! :D

falcorn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jan 2009, 6:35 pm

i'm not a fan now

it became super popular when i was like 10 i didnt like it until about 13, then i had a huge good pokemon card collection and it was still popular just not near as popular as it was

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 6:49 pm

I seldom find interest in things that normal find interesting otherwise what's the point.

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jan 2009, 6:59 pm

Well, I'd have to say they're weird if they DON'T like DDR, assuming you wished to tag people as weird for liking it (or still liking it?).

Quote:
I also used to replay games I'd already finished over and over again until I pretty much memorized the whole game. I can't count how many times I played through Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. As soon as I finished it I started playing again from the beginning. My brother didn't understand why I enjoyed doing this so much.

I played through Chrono Trigger quite a lot. I played through Final Fantasy 6 a lot. I played Final Fantasy 7 obsessively, using morph to get source materials (stat boosting consumables) so I could max out all of my characters (didn't get to complete this unfortunately). I played the original Monster Rancher on the PS1 obsessively. I played GoldenEye on the N64 obsessively, and at one point I could tell you the location of any guard on any level (I worked to unlock time cheats).

I used to be very very picky about people making progress on my own games too. If they gained ANY bit of saved progress, the entire thing for me was ruined.

One of my bigger interests would have to be MUDs (online text role-playing games). I love how much you can do with them, and I even like the fact that there is no picture. I've been unable to get anybody I know to even try them. They NEED picture. Not just any picture, they want new graphics too! Even though I'm interested in MUDs, I have a hard time enjoying them. One of my current favorites would be Lusternia. I find though what makes a MUD fun for me is partially how the MUD is designed, and how much I enjoy my characters and others roleplay.

Overall, most people I know don't share my interests. Everyone is off in their own little world, resistant to change (even though I've tried their interests countless times).

falcorn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jan 2009, 7:03 pm

i still play DDR for the exercise, but when it was really popular and people respected good DDR players i sucked at it and now i can do PSMO on challenge mode like 3 times in a row blindfolded it's not popular anymore

i find that funny

and my best friend was always better than me, then after i hadnt seen him for a year we played and i finally beat him but by that time he hadnt played in year and it wasnt as satisfying as i thought it would be

Last edited by falcorn on 12 Jan 2009, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 7:03 pm

There are some times I am very easily entertained and other times I am very easily bored.

theQuail
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Jan 2009, 8:01 pm

Er, my broad languages/linguistics interest is pronounced boring or incomprehensible by my family, and I don't usually share it. (I haven't even gotten to advanced stuff yet in any area, just advanced enough so that ordinary people can't understand me.) So when I've translated a poem into my new constructed language or created some Cyrillic-based alphabet-thingy for English, I'm at a loss to explain it intelligibly... Kids at school are weirded out by my writing systems, and tend to express this in a funny way. For example, "Whoa, is that Chinese???" when it looks like Arabic or Mongolian script, if anything.

v0lume
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jan 2009, 8:18 pm

SpongeBobRocksMao wrote:
Do you ever have an interest which nobody else seems to care about or they just think it's weird?
Also I like to watch SpongeBob in other languages (I've seen it in 30 languages) and people say "Why? You can't understand what they're saying."

Definetly.
Also, I'm obsessed with slavic music, and everyone gets annoyed and they say stupid shet like "they aren't even using real words!" How ignorent can people be lol? I sing along to it anyway. I may not understand all the words, but I understand the pronunciation just fine and I love it so why not?