Do Aspies have a Greater Sense of Justice?

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

purplesky
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jan 2008, 3:58 pm

Perhaps the lack of empathy we are described as having is actually possessing a well-developed sense of justice. Neurotypicals often denigrate and insult a person while alive but elevate the person to a position of godhood on the day of death. Neurotypicals also expect one to feel empathy for a complete piece of (****) in peril; in actuality the person is getting what he deserves. This explains why so many of them stay with abusive boyfriends or spouses; they can't separate fact (being that of the person's actions against you) from emotion. Why do they have the custom of hating a person while alive yet adoring the person while dead? They are the definition of hypocritical human beings.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Jan 2008, 4:04 pm

Well, as far as my sence of justice I feel that I am very impartial about things, often including myself cause at work if their is an error I fess up to it even if people will then judge me and call me retarted or whatever, often tho its a joke... sometimes not.

I am very impartial and have little emotion, I like logic far better when it comes to things, and I feel I would make an excellent court judge as a result.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

05 Jan 2008, 4:06 pm

Hmm... no, I don't think so. I don't think NTs are more foolish than we are and I don't agree with your impression of the psychology behind the abuser/victim dynamic. I think aspies on average have a more difficult time getting over the fact that perfect justice isn't going to happen right here, right now. That can give us an unusual perspective and motivate us to do a lot of good. It can also make us into big whiners. :P

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 4:10 pm

I think you example is probably more to do with personality than anything. Besides sympathy is not the same as empathy.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 4:50 pm

Quote:
gwenevyn said:
I think aspies on average have a more difficult time getting over the fact that perfect justice isn't going to happen right here, right now. That can give us an unusual perspective and motivate us to do a lot of good. It can also make us into big whiners. Razz

Yeah, ditto to that..

I can't watch the news because I get too frustrated with the lack of justice and the inconsistencies of society. I have problems with everyday justice, office politics, fairness etc...

and I'm a whiner I guess.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 8:12 pm

I happen to have a very strong sense of justice. I especially despise double standards and illogical rules.

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 8:23 pm

I think over time it DEVELOPS into a sense of justice... but I think at the beginning, it has roots in our adherence to rules. Most of the sites dealing with "what to look for" will talk about the "Little Policeman of the Playground", as a warning sign your child may fall into the spectrum. We DO tend to "follow the rules' and be disturbed when anyone breaks them, ESPECIALLY if they get away with it!! Rulebreakers who aren't punished make my blood boil sometimes. I've often wondered if Aspie's in the Middle Ages didn't gravitate into the Courts because of this. I know a lot of attorney's turn up "on the spectrum" and while most of us feel free to "break a rule that doesn't make sense" we also get quite irritated when someone breaks one we consider valid!

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 5:03 am

Odin wrote:
I happen to have a very strong sense of justice. I especially despise double standards and illogical rules.

i agree with that pretty much, stuff like that drives me nuts.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

06 Jan 2008, 5:13 am

gbollard wrote:
and I'm a whiner I guess.

Not so, if your activity here is any indication of how you lead the rest of your life. You make legitimate complaints and you do something about them, teaching others as you go along. That's admirable. Your kids are lucky to have that kind of role model.

Wilco
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jan 2008, 5:26 am

I think you are right. and wrong. I do think that many aspies have a mature sense of justice, something which can rarely be found somethimes. but it is there. our sense of justice is normal. the people you described dont have a normal sense of justice. at least thats how I see it.

Jayutimestwo

06 Jan 2008, 5:28 am

Odin wrote:

yep, me too. Does the justice system bother anyone else? It just seems so arbitrary.

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 6:02 am

Oh you bet the justice system bothers me, Jay!

I've tried to use it - and it's let me down twice. On the other hand it has helped me three times, but then two of them were simple and easy to prosecute, and the third was a help for what it was (I won't go into details on that one).

It's why I'm keen on law changes in Australia - especially when it comes to the Disability Discrimination Act. Right now as it stands we don't have enough protection from vilification and other things that there is protection for based on race or gender. Having been on the receiving end of such behaviour - and no restitution for it or closure for the most part - it gnaws at me.

But I'm hoping 2008 will change that!

The other thing that has been a positive is my experience (both good and bad) has made me very cluey within the legal system. My most recent action showed how much I knew over the other party and it was almost too easy to get what I wanted at that stage - even if another aspect caused the whole thing to fall over, but I suspected it might anyway.

The_Q
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Jan 2008, 8:25 am

AspieDave wrote:
I think over time it DEVELOPS into a sense of justice... but I think at the beginning, it has roots in our adherence to rules. Most of the sites dealing with "what to look for" will talk about the "Little Policeman of the Playground", as a warning sign your child may fall into the spectrum. We DO tend to "follow the rules' and be disturbed when anyone breaks them, ESPECIALLY if they get away with it!! Rulebreakers who aren't punished make my blood boil sometimes. I've often wondered if Aspie's in the Middle Ages didn't gravitate into the Courts because of this. I know a lot of attorney's turn up "on the spectrum" and while most of us feel free to "break a rule that doesn't make sense" we also get quite irritated when someone breaks one we consider valid!

I pretty much agree with this. I was really big on following the rules when I was younger. It was since then that my sense of justice developed and now, it dictates which rules I think should and shouldn't be followed.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 2:24 pm

AspieDave wrote:

LOL, I always ticked of my classmates when I was a kid for being a tattle-tale! :lol:

And yes, I feel perfectly free to ignore a crap rule that doesn't make sense as long as I can get away with it.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 2:28 pm

Jayutimestwo wrote:
Odin wrote:

yep, me too. Does the justice system bother anyone else? It just seems so arbitrary.

Don't get me started on the subjectivity and gullibility of juries. It's one of the reasons I don't like trial lawyers, they are all about appealing to the prejudices of the jurors.

ed
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 3:00 pm

I couldn't possibly tell whether someone was lying or not... :lol: