has anyone ever told you that 'you are not a genius'?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2008, 11:28 pm

I actually got that one quite a few times, mostly from teachers and college professors.

I suspect they confunded my cockiness and social awkwardness for an inflated sense of my own intellectual capacity. I mean, I was in good academic standing and was an honors student, and I don't supppose they go around telling that one to every single student who does not meet the IQ criteria to be considered a genius.

Dhp
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2008, 11:44 pm

My psychologist said that as he revealed my IQ score. Oh well. It is what you do with your intelligence that really matters, instead of boasting about it.

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2008, 11:48 pm

IQ tests fail to measure every type of intelligence. "Genius" classification only means a person performs well with a test that may or may not adequately measure a few areas of intelligence.

Howard Gardner has some decent theories introducing some of the many forms commonly identified in humans. I think humanity has a lot of inner exploration to do before we can begin to judge and classify each other appropriately, much less take any theoretical tests very seriously.

http://www.newhorizons.org/future/Creat ... rdner.html

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 12:03 am

ummmm.... actually no, not that I can think of. 8O

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 1:32 pm

I was never labelled as a genius but teachers said dat i was very smart which 4 me is a gud response. 8)

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 2:09 pm

the problem with the intelligence tests is that many rely on verbal interaction.

just like in real life.. its a bit of a problem if you have all these great thoughts and abilities but cant share them. If a tree falls in the middle of the forest and nobody heard it, did it really fall? type of problem.

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 2:39 pm

Has anybody told me? Yeah, me. I'm the only one that can really ever know. I'm the only one that gets to see most of what I think. Genius is a screwed up term to begin with. I think I may have had a thought or two that probably approaches the generic sense of the term and my measured IQ comes close to the classification. But then I agree, the tests themselves are pretty poor. It could be lower or it could be higher then what they show. I've had more then one done and all against my will. I think that might set up a bad testing setting to begin with, toss in senseory issues that no one knew I had and a slew of other things and I don't hold much faith in the IQ system. I do suppose it's needed in a herd sense for schools.

ddrapayo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Feb 2008, 2:43 pm

The technical definition of "genius" is being in the top 2% in terms of IQ. Therefore, by definition, 98% of people are not geniuses. And by definition, 50 % of people have below average intelligence. This does not make them stupid, nor does having above-average intelligence make one a genius. This is something people need to realize. But IQ is somewhat meaningless.