Mercury amalgam fillings and austism/AS?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you have mercury amalgam fillings in your teeth?
Yes 44%  44%  [ 16 ]
No 56%  56%  [ 20 ]
Total votes : 36

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 11:02 am

Since there has been so much speculation on mercury in vaccines causing autism, I was wondering whether there had been any similar speculation/research on the mercury in silver/ mercury almagam fillings being a culprit?

RampionRampage
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 11:05 am

?? in almost any case where someone on teh spectrum has fillings, they already have had symptoms long before. so it being a culprit makes no sense.

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 11:13 am

Topical medications containing mercury were banned in 1998. Most people who are certain not to have been exposed to some kind of mercurial medication are not 13 years old yet.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 11:19 am

I remember when there was a whisper campaign to ban bleach because it caused breast cancer. It did make sense, because women bleached their bras, but bleach dissapated in rinsing and drying and so really wasn't the boogey man.

Merle

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 11:40 am

our dentist hasn't had those old-fashioned fillings available for years. everything is some sort of tooth-colored acrylic now. i had the very last of my old "silver" fillings removed in 2005 and replaced with this stuff - seems like it lasts forever, doesn't give me "the tingles" if i happen to chew on a bit of tinfoil, and looks pretty good, too.

i never had a cavity until i turned 12. my sister had a mouth full of them at a very early age that were filled with the old-style fillings in the 1960s. i'm on the spectrum, she's not.

i think this line of debate was debunked in a rather serious way by medical researchers about 20 years ago....

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 12:27 pm

My dentist would not fill milk teeth though and I was quite clearly showing AS behaviour long before I had any fillings.

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 12:59 pm

I love non-metallic fillings. The amalgam tasted disgusting and has other disgusting habits besides having mercury.

Desolation_boi
Raven
Raven

09 Mar 2008, 1:23 pm

I may have had them when I was younger (around 7 or so) but don't anymore. Now I have the non-metal kind. But I was definatly aspie before any dental work...

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 1:27 pm

I was a genius before I had any dental work.

Bea
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Mar 2008, 3:22 pm

I had lots of the old-style "silver" fillings for years. It worried me, so when Greenpeace did a survey to find out how many people in the US are contaminated by mercury through filligs or fish, I sent in my hair sample. (Lots of fillings, little fish.) The results came back that my mercury exposure is almost non-existent. People who eat the wrong fish have a lot more problems with this than people who have the fillings.

Zonder
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 5:04 pm

The theory with mercury amalgam is that the mothers of children with autism might have exposed the fetus to mercury, or that a child exhibited symptoms after getting fillings. As with mercury-based inoculation preservatives, filling mercury exposes a person to very small levels of mercury.

Other sources of mercury contamination with much higher levels, both historically and currently were/are:

Thermometers - Some thermometers contain(d) mercury, and if the glass is broken, mercury is released.

Felt-making - You've heard the term "Mad as a Hatter?" That was mercury poisoning from the felt-making process. Hats were made out of felt.

Gold extraction - Mercury is still used in the process of panning for gold in some countries. Mercury combines with small particles of gold, and when the mercury is vaporized, the gold remains.

Coal mining - Mercury, a natural element, is present in coal. When coal is mined, miners are exposed to mercury through skin contact as well as breathing coal dust.

Burning coal for electricity - Power plants that burn coal, if they do not capture the particles in the smoke, can spew mercury and other metals into the atmosphere.

Eating predatory fish - As rain falls and flows to the seas, metals naturally present in the soil, or sent into the atmosphere by coal burning and certain manufacturing processes are carried along and concentrate in large bodies of water. Larger fish that eat other fish can have elevated levels of mercury in their systems.

Mercury is a VERY POISONOUS METAL, and it can damage the central nervous system, the brain, and DNA/chromosomes. Research is still being done to determine if there is a link to autism, and what level of mercury might cause damage.

Z

Hedgehog
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Mar 2008, 5:13 pm

No, but both my parents have them.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 8:02 pm

RampionRampage wrote:
?? in almost any case where someone on teh spectrum has fillings, they already have had symptoms long before. so it being a culprit makes no sense.
YEAH, I got filings about 4 years or more after I was diagnosed with ADHD and they notice AS tendencies. That was before AS was considered a diagnosis though.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 8:27 pm

I didn't even go to a dentist till I was over 30. I had 3 cavities all of which are filled with acrylic fillings. My mom has old mercury fillings, as does my dad. She thinks that the mercury fillings have caused adverse effects, and she is also a believer in the notion that vaccinations cause autism...(though I had all my vaccinations as a child, because I couldn't be enrolled in school without them...)

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 8:31 pm

I have a white filling in one of my teeth that I've had since I was 12, and no other fillings. I sort of doubt the white filling has mercury in it.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 8:52 pm

I had all my fillings after 7, so I was showing signs before that. My biological mom was a poor teenage Indian, she may have had fillings, I don't know.