Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Anniemaniac
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Mar 2008, 3:51 pm

Has anyone here been tested and/or diagnosed with Dyscalculia?

The reason I ask is because I'm going to be starting (well, hopefully) a science course soon, and it's very pressurised as it's a two year course crammed into one. I want to become a meteorologist, and as you probably know, maths is very important.

As I've always had difficulty with maths, I was concerned I might not be able to keep up with the maths work, so I told my college about my maths troubles and they suggested dyscalculia to me, and now they want me to sit a dyscalculia assessment or something...

I just want to know what I can expect, if anyone knows?

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 3:55 pm

Hi this link should help
The British Dyslexia Association - Dyscalculia, Dyslexia and Maths.
http://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/dyscalculia.html

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 4:09 pm

I suck at maths, but according to the listed symptoms I do not have dyscalculia. I just never really bothered to learn it well.

CaptainMac
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Mar 2008, 4:09 pm

I know an NT who probably has it.

What I would do is look at tutoring services. I used to tutor my friend who I think may have this problem and when we worked together he would usually do better because we had two heads working on the same subject. (I also benefited due to the extra practice). If your tutor isn't a peer, as my friend had, look into services on campus. My college has a center for writing and I think one for math as well, they are staffed by serious students in those areas (or perhaps by TAs/profs at some schools) and should be able to iron your math skills out.

Don't forget to look for old textbooks at a used book sale. I got more out of Calculus for Dummies than I did the first two chapters of my Calc I book.

tbam
Raven
Raven

10 Mar 2008, 5:09 pm

My work email, blocks the link.

What is Dyscalculia?

I remember when I was in School, and even now when posed with a mathematical question, I tend to just stare at it and have to read it a few times before I am able to write an answer.

I'm great at maths once I understand the broad spectrum and its application, but for some reason when it comes to answering or reading the formulas my brain locks up and I stare through the page until the answer comes to me, or until I have read it a few times and then I get the answer.

Anniemaniac
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Mar 2008, 5:24 pm

Quote:
but for some reason when it comes to answering or reading the formulas my brain locks up and I stare through the page until the answer comes to me, or until I have read it a few times and then I get the answer.

That's what happens with me. My brain just shuts down and I can't get it to function again until it wants to. I just end up staring at the paper or reading the same thing over and over again.

From what I've read and been told, dyscalculia is like maths dyslexia. I'm not really sure what it is, to be honest, as I don't even know if I have it yet, I just know that my brain can't seem to handle mathematical questions the correct way.

pixie-bell
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Mar 2008, 7:11 pm

Anniemaniac,

A diagnosis of Dyscalculia is only beneficial if you are a child (i.e. school support) as the label its self doesn't do much for an adult unless you are in tertiary education and wish to receive additional support. I myself have Dyscalculia and have to study statistics as part of my university course, I receive additional support by way of a tutor for an hour every week. I don't know how your college/university works but at the university I attend you must have evidence in order to receive any student disability support, perhaps you could approach the individuals and ask whether you are entitled to support or perhaps where you could possibly be assessed, I know that this type of service is available for those who suspect that they are Dyslexic.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 7:33 pm

I am not a rocket scientist where math is concerned, but I always managed at least average grades and sometimes even above. By hard work, I managed an A in Accounting, even though I am by no means a math wizard. I always did well in subjects involving a lot of reading. My reading and study skills and good memory helped even in Accounting.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 8:04 pm

I wish I knew EXACTLY how to read some things.

The whole idea of teaching A*B=B*A A*B/A=B A+B=B+A |A*-1|=A or the relationship of powers of ten in class sounded DUMB to me! I mean Why don't they teach that a refrigerator is cold, or you can't see with your eyes closed. I mean do people REALLY need to be taught such things? I can also do basic math ok. Does THAT mean I understand math intuitively?

I have to do more than basic math somewhat mechanically(mostly as done in class). Answers USUALLY don't come AUTOMATICALLY to me. Does that mean I LACK such intuition? I mean I HAVE had flashes of genius in a way where a complicated calculations answer or idea just POPPED into my head. THAT has been RARE though.

Spatial and application is ok for me.

BTW I am sorry if I insulted anyone here. I really didn't mean to, but wanted to show how I thought, etc....

Anniemaniac
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Mar 2008, 8:49 pm

Quote:
Anniemaniac,

A diagnosis of Dyscalculia is only beneficial if you are a child (i.e. school support) as the label its self doesn't do much for an adult unless you are in tertiary education and wish to receive additional support. I myself have Dyscalculia and have to study statistics as part of my university course

It was my college who want to test me for it, and they'll assess me there, when I go to sit my entry exam, I think (have to pass an exam to be accepted on the course). I'm only going through with it because I need all the help I can get with maths. I'm nervous though as I don't know if I have dyscalculia or if I'm just bad at maths. I was nervous enough getting my AS diagnosis and I hate to have to sit another assessment that may be unnecessary.

If you don't mind, could you tell me about the assessment you had to sit when getting your diagnosis? It's just that I have no idea what they'll want me to do, and I get anxious when I don't know what to expect.

pixie-bell
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Mar 2008, 3:27 am

Unfortunately, I was diagnosed while in primary school, so I don't actually remember, sorry!