Velociraptor

02 Feb 2008, 8:51 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpaY62eLsWQ[/youtube]

liberty
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Feb 2008, 9:17 am

"Every Aspie in the world..."?!

I am VERY Aspie...and I love some fiction books and films and understand most figures of common speech. I don't think you can really make such hard and fast rules/pronouncements about "every Aspie in the world..."

BTW, ALL generalizations are WRONG, including this one...LOL

Wilco
Toucan
Toucan

02 Feb 2008, 9:25 am

I am Aspie, and I dont take all things literally. Aspies can take it more literally, but not every and some more then others. And I DONT hate fiction. It's complete nonsense. I love fiction. I even wrote my own fiction books. And I love music. I have many different clothings. You haven't named one single fact that counts for me. Some of them count for some Aspies. But there is nothing, I repeat nothing that counts for ALL aspies in the world -_-

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 9:34 am

Ha.

*Daniel looks at the Jimi Hendrix poster*

AliceinOz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Feb 2008, 9:39 am

This guy was really annoying, and clueless

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 9:43 am

Aspies are ALSO not supposed to care about others opinions. So WHY then am I INSULTED by that stop video!?!?

First, about the literal bit. To CATCH something doesn't actually mean to get it, or rip it out. If TRULY literal, "catch the eye" would make NO SENSE! It is also something that won't be understood as "rip the eyes out of their sockets".

Aspies don't necessarily follow everything as a command. I DID for a time, but even THEN I weighed every little thing. Sometimes, a seemingly simple request would be met with "NO", etc!

Oddly, almost every book I ever read was facts. Encyclopedias, dictionaries, text books, programming books, etc.... STILL, I read "HP and the deathly hallows", "And then there were none", "firestarter", and a few others. To say aspies CAN'T read fiction is just absurd.

BTW I heard the expression "catch ... eye" a LOT! There must be a LOT of people with damaged eyes, etc... from that, but I never saw ONE!

cataspie
Toucan
Toucan

02 Feb 2008, 9:43 am

If i take this to literal than i would have to believe im not an aspie.
I wear all black and things i like the look of and feel nice to wear i have always liked halloween and night time so i sometimes look a bit goth like.I have read fiction i used to like reading animal stories as i felt a strong cnnection with animals.I have read Tarka the otter and Hunters moon and most of the Colin Dann books.I have also read The Hobbit and Lotr.

jayssite
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Feb 2008, 9:46 am

Every aspie takes things literally? Okay, debatable... but solid? Concrete?? BUT HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE, I DON'T UNDERSTAND!!

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 10:26 am

I don't think literally and understand figures of speech. I couldn't have attained degrees in English without knowing metaphors, similes, etc. I enjoy reading books about figures of speech and their historical origins. Many figures of speech do have a literal historical basis, so it isn't wrong to conjure up a mental picture of them.

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 10:59 am

Yup, people are ret*d.

xyzyxx
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 11:03 am

They don't listen to music? I listen to my favorite music every day in the car. I sing along.

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

02 Feb 2008, 11:13 am

Well I have a funny feeling that it's meant to be a joke. It made me laugh, anyway.

xyzyxx
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 11:15 am

LadyMacbeth wrote:
Well I have a funny feeling that it's meant to be a joke. It made me laugh, anyway.
Well, I may not take "figures of speech" literally, but I have a hard time discerning when someone is joking :o

Tensho
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Feb 2008, 11:29 am

This video is of an aspie being aspie. I have no doubt that all he says is true and accurate to him and his own experiences. But the problem every aspie in the world really has is seeing the whole picture. If everyone here who is aspie and looks at this video with this aspie trait in mind it makes sense in the person your watching and in yourself.

ps1r3n

02 Feb 2008, 11:36 am

LadyMacbeth wrote:

Yeah, I thought it was a joke too. Especially when he gets on about the clothing, wellington boots! of course it's a joke!

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 11:39 am

Tensho wrote:
This video is of an aspie being aspie. I have no doubt that all he says is true and accurate to him and his own experiences. But the problem every aspie in the world really has is seeing the whole picture. If everyone here who is aspie and looks at this video with this aspie trait in mind it makes sense in the person your watching and in yourself.

So how many eyes do you figure he ripped out? 8O