What job is good for an aspie with no qualifications?

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

wob182
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 May 2008, 12:24 pm

I was wondering what job is good, because the typical job where i live, is supermarkets, clothes shops and waitresses.
I find them too busy, and too stressful from an my point of view.

any ideas?

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 12:26 pm

everyone is qualified to do something :D what do you enjoy doing?

wob182
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 May 2008, 12:31 pm

not really I'm not qualified to be a photographer, that's my hobby, or an fashion designer (another thing I'm interested in ), i have to go for uni for those. At the moment i need a job i can enjoy a little and that doesn't stress me

Oh the only qualitfications i have, are 9 GCSEs and previous job exprience

Confused-Fish
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 1:02 pm

wob182 wrote:
I was wondering what job is good, because the typical job where i live, is supermarkets, clothes shops and waitresses.

any ideas?

im in the same boat as you there what i do is work night shifts in a warehouse 3 days a week, its quiet as its night, its part time (i cant handle full time, ill just get really moody n want to sleep all the time) as its night shift aswell its pays well for what work the job actually requires, £200 a week i get which is more than enough for me to live comfortably.

if it doesn't stress you out too much id recommend getting a weekend job n going to uni, you'll be glad you did when your a photographer/fashion designer :wink:

juliekitty
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 1:02 pm

What is your previous job experience, and do you have any volunteer experience? What did you do well at in school?

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 1:03 pm

wob182 wrote:
not really I'm not qualified to be a photographer, that's my hobby

I've worked for a professional portrait studio before, and none of the photographers there had any kind of degree or certification, just an obsessive knowledge and a knack for composition. I'd suggest trying a few places to see if someone will take you on and train you. Even the national chain studios in the US like Olan Mills or Sears or even Walmart hire and train people for the job.

Be forewarned, though: Portrait photographers do have to deal directly with people and often with moody babies. But all jobs have a downside, it's just deciding if you can tolerate them in exchange for the perks.

Most of the time it's not so bad. One Christmas they asked me to play Santa to pose for pics with preschoolers. I of course refused out of hand, the whole idea made me very uncomfortable. But the owner kept raising the offer until I couldn't afford not to, so I did it, every day for an entire month. I hated to admit it, but it melted my little black heart (one of my most treasured photos to this day is the portrait of me as Santa with my then 4yo daughter). Of course, I'll never ever do that again...

i_Am_andaJoy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 May 2008, 1:05 pm

no.

but i also ponder this question.

i'd love to have a job with minimal people, that i could do without having a meltdown. don't have the degree or the experience or those mystical qualifications they always want though.

wob182
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 May 2008, 1:07 pm

juliekitty wrote:
What is your previous job experience, and do you have any volunteer experience? What did you do well at in school?

yeah i've i vonteered with young kids for a year and used to volenteer a youth worker and my job until recently (my 6 month contract was up and they had no more funds, i wasnt fired yay) was a peer youth worker, which ment i orgnised people my age to get involved in the communty, i went to meetings and did press relases for the local paper and was on the radio.

i mean it was a good head start for my cv but thats because i was used that kind of work.
Now have a sunday job £60 a week, at a small cafe in a lesure centre, but i have nothing to do in the week, so i'm looking for another job.

wob182
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 May 2008, 1:11 pm

Willard wrote:
I'd suggest trying a few places to see if someone will take you on and train you. Even the national chain studios in the US like Olan Mills or Sears or even Walmart hire and train people for the job.

i live in UK so i have no idea what that is , i hear walmart is a big supermarket chain but the rest noo idea wot that is

tailfins1959
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 May 2008, 1:13 pm

wob182 wrote:

any ideas?

One of my early jobs was reading mortgages and entering the information communicated in the text into a database. An NT would have a hard time with that. Temporary help agencies have a whole list of those kind of assignments.

I've still got a pair
Yeah honey, I'm still a guy

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 1:14 pm

wob182 wrote:
Willard wrote:
I'd suggest trying a few places to see if someone will take you on and train you. Even the national chain studios in the US like Olan Mills or Sears or even Walmart hire and train people for the job.

i live in UK so i have no idea what that is , i hear walmart is a big supermarket chain but the rest noo idea wot that is

They are companies that operate photography studios for people to have family portraits and baby pictures made. Walmart and Sears are department sores as well, but Olan Mills specializes in portrait photography.

juliekitty
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 1:19 pm

Willard wrote:
They are companies that operate photography studios for people to have family portraits and baby pictures made.

What a great idea, that would combine the photography with the experience with children.

Be sure to list your volunteer experience on your resume!

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 May 2008, 1:20 pm

I'd love to work with animals, but the only thing I'd be qualified for is working in a pet store which dosn't pay well, even compaired to most other retailers. Besides I'd be ignoring the customers all he time except to occasionally tell them "No, you can't have that pet, you don't seem to know anything about them, and your kid is too grabby and hyper."

Last edited by Pithlet on 03 May 2008, 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

juliekitty
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 1:23 pm

I tried for awhile to find a job working with animals, but the only one out there that pays decently is veterinarian, and I had no chance of getting into vet school, let alone getting through vet school.

Even vet assistants don't make much.

wob182
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 May 2008, 1:23 pm

juliekitty yeah its not a bad idea, i guess cause i have the experience there looking for, but like i said i'm still learning about photography, but if they trained me I'd get around that. hmmmm interesting

and by the way, i do like animals to, i really want a cat but i'm not allowed one

Happyhelen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 May 2008, 1:30 pm

I do voluntary work which is good experience as it can lead to paid work.

I do office work where I do typing , stuffing envelopes, photocopying and filing.

I also work in a charity shop sorting clothes, books, C.D's videos and accessories like scarfs, gloves, hats and handbags.