Writing article for company newsletter

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

gitchel
Raven
Raven

12 Feb 2008, 11:30 pm

I've been asked to write a SHORT (400 words) article for the company diversity newsletter. So far, there have been absolutely no articles related to neurodiversity of any sort. Plenty of articles on various ethnic cultural events, or bowling from wheelchairs, but nothing about unusual cranial activity.

So, I'm trying to come up with something that educates people who have NO clue, but do actually bother to read the Diversity Education newsletter.

Here's what I have so far. Let me know if it seems appropriate, or if I've mangled any facts in the efforts to smash it into a single page.

I have to turn it in Thursday.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aspergers Syndrome is a neurological condition that hinders communication and social interaction. It is one of several varieties of developmental disorders commonly known as Autistic Spectrum Disorders. Since some estimates place the number of American’s with spectrum disorders as high as 1.5 million, there is a lot of room for variation; some people on the spectrum may be completely unable to communicate and in need of life-long care, while others can manage a job, marriage, and parenthood. People on the high-function end of the spectrum, with normal to high IQs and normal childhood language development, are usually diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome.

At present, there is no final conclusion as to what causes Aspergers, and there is much controversy about causes, treatments, and even whether Aspergers should be considered a disorder. However, most popular theories recognize that there are genetically inherited neurological differences that have a dramatic effect on many parts of the brain. It also seems clear that an early diagnosis is best, and that there are interventions that can bring significant relief and improvement to the lives of autistics.

It is very likely that you know someone with a spectrum disorder, or someone whose child or spouse is autistic. It is also possible that you work closely with someone on the spectrum. It’s not always easy to spot, especially if they have Aspergers. Those with Asperger’s can often excel in appropriate careers, and some have made major contributions to society, including winning the Nobel Prize. However, for many, even those who are successful, it can still be difficult getting through a day.

Each person with Aspergers has their own unique collection of symptoms of varied intensities but certain aspects are very common. Although their language skills and speech are normal, they may have an unusual way of expression. They may be overly formal, or use puzzling metaphors, or they may chatter on past the point where the listener loses interest. A person with Aspergers might be focused, for long periods of time, on an unusual, narrow interest. And they may sometimes make repetitious movements with their hands or body that appear to have no purpose.

Probably the most painful aspect of Aspergers is its effect on social interaction. People with Aspergers often misunderstand, or miss altogether, nonverbal communications like facial expression, eye contact or social conventions like politeness or diplomacy. They can have extreme difficulties making friends, building relationships, or even participating in meetings or workplace events. Although they are often excellent and thorough analysts, and able to explore unique perspectives and methods, their social dysfunctions make a large number of those with Aspergers unemployable.

It’s unfortunate when the work-center is deprived of the benefits of these unique minds because some employers find it difficult to accommodate what is essentially odd behavior. Perhaps, in dealing with Aspergers, a simple increase in tolerance is the key to employing some truly valuable and inventive thinkers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[email protected]
http://perseveration.org
Twitter: Gitchel

nihil de nobis sine nobis

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 11:35 pm

I think that sounds really great. The only thing is- in the first paragraph, did you mean to say the "high-function end of the spectrum" or the "high-functioning end of the spectrum"? Just a small typo. I really think it's very well-written though.

juancho
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Feb 2008, 2:44 am

http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/ -- On that site they use Asperger Syndrome. Tony Attwood in his book uses Asperger Syndrome ALWAYS; he never shortens the phrase. I note that most of the entries in Google use Asperger's. The "Wiki" has "Asperger syndrome (U.S. pronunciation / 'æspɚgɚ ˌ'sɪndroʊm/, also called Asperger's syndrome, Asperger's disorder, Asperger's".

Asperger's should have an apostrophe as it's a possessive with a following noun understood... I see that you did use an apostrophe at the end of paragraph one and in a few other places.

"number of American’s " -- shouldn't have an apostrophe

"However, for many, even those who are successful, it can still ...." I believe the prose would flow a little better with "However, for many, even for those who are successful..."

It seems quite professionally written. I hope your editor appreciates it as well.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2008, 3:10 am

I think it sounds good, don't ask me on grammar and/or spelling because I can't do this well.

AutisticAdvocacy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Feb 2008, 3:40 am

I like it. What type of work do you do?

gitchel
Raven
Raven

13 Feb 2008, 8:05 am

LostInSpace and juancho - Thanks for catching those. I haven't done my final edit yet, so I'll be able to clean up things like that today. What you see here iss what you get after the spellcheck ;-)

LostInEmulation - I'm glad you liked it. I know what you mean. I love my spellchecker ;-)

AutisticAdvocacy: I'm in Help Desk. But years and yeears of painful boredom is making me think about branching out a bit. I'm actually thinking I might focus on advocacy. Right now I'm trying to start an aspie support group in Des Moines and a website like WrongPlanet dedicated to more localized support in the Midwest.

Thanks for the input, Folks. So I can assume no one found any obvious falsehoods or blatant stupidities?

[email protected]
http://perseveration.org
Twitter: Gitchel

nihil de nobis sine nobis

googlewhack
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Feb 2008, 8:21 am

Sorry for being so pedantic but you wrote the number of American’s with spectrum disorders and Americans shouldn't have an apostrophe. The rest of the article is good.