Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 10:15 pm

It's a disorder called smiling. Smiling is a very serious matter. It is a facial tic that people with the smiling disorder have. Smiling would be no more trouble than Tourette's syndrome if it hadn't become so widespread.

What makes smiling such a dangerous disorder is that people with the disorder start to base their socialization based on the smiling tic rather than more practical methods of socialization, such as actually telling people what you really think rather than try to guess based off of a facial tic.

Smilers are under the delusion that you can't be happy unless you smile a lot. This means that people whose brains aren't affected by the disorder that causes people to smile have a hard time of getting along with the smilers because the smilers' disorder makes them think that if a person can't smile there is something wrong with them.

Unfortunately, the worst part of it is that the genetic defect that causes smiling has become extremely common, possibly because of some virus that alters genes so that the defect appears. Now the overwhelming majority of people have this disorder, and it has made socialization very difficult for those who haven't been infected. :(

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 10:21 pm

Wow, fascinating post, GoatOnFire.

Quite an evocative point of view.

Gives new meaning to a t-shirt I once owned that read "Smile ... It makes people wonder what you're up to."

"It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine." -- REM

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 11:01 pm

GoatOnFire, I do know. I guess a genuine, warranted smile is understandable, but a perpetual (or worse, deceptive?) smile is impossible to 'read,' what are they thinking? So superficial. I am leery of those who smile excessively......

<conspiracy theory>

SoccerFreak
Toucan
Toucan

20 Feb 2008, 11:15 pm

I either constantly smile or pout in a normal sitting (non conversational setting).

Oh god... I must have this disorder.

Sometimes I smile so much that my cheeks hurt at the end of the day, or my teeth hurt when it's cold out.

Seriously though, when I smile alot i'm in a hypo-manic state and everything is WONDERFUL!! ! And I also tend to think REALLY hilarious things at random times; thus I laugh and smile at inappropriate times =p

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 11:32 pm

LabPet wrote:
GoatOnFire, I do know. I guess a genuine, warranted smile is understandable, but a perpetual (or worse, deceptive?) smile is impossible to 'read,' what are they thinking? So superficial. I am leery of those who smile excessively......

<conspiracy theory>

To quote William Shakespeare:

"O villain, villain, smiling, damned villain!
My tables,--meet it is I set it down,
That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain;
At least I'm sure it may be so in Denmark"

Hamlet, Act I, Scene V

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 11:37 pm

People keep accusing me of having that smiling disorder thingie....

but I just tell them, "No, it's just gas..."

:twisted:

Heron
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Feb 2008, 12:44 am

I sometimes feel like a vampire with a cross being held up to repel me when I receive unsolicited smiles from strangers.

AndersTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 1:06 am

I am glad to live in the danish mainland, for some reason people don't smile all that much here... probably the weather.

Knaidle
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Feb 2008, 2:41 am

I think I get your point but I don't agree with it.

Lately I've been practicing 'smile therapy'. When I am in a bad mood or depressed I force myself to smile. It hurts my cheeks but then after an hour or so it doesn't hurt anymore and then after another hour I find myself in a much better mood.

So faking it has some benefits too.

(I really think that there are biological effects of smiling and that it is not just a random contraction of random muscle groups.)

21 Feb 2008, 4:02 am

Angleman syndrome?

I don't know much about it of course. I do know they are known as puppets and they smile a lot and they are very happy.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

21 Feb 2008, 9:10 am

cool topic goatonfire. my friend somewhere else has that same avatar :lol:

KristaMeth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 10:01 am

I haven't been infected, though I do fake the disorder for the attention of those with it. Good times, good times.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 10:36 am

Disorderly conduct topic

Here are a few: :D :) :lol: :cheers: :sunny: :albino: :cherry: :mrgreen: :twisted: :joker: :queen: :king: :flower: :farao: :smurf: :brilsmurf: :thumright: :colors: :bball: :dj: :nemo: :money: :hail: :shaking2: :rendeer: :santa: :wtg: :chef: :compress: :thumleft:

I like these smiling emoticons. I know what they mean!

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Sally
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Feb 2008, 11:43 am

smiling can also be contagious...