Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 4:43 am

For the past year or so I have been thinking that I have aspergers (I am currently seeing a health-care worker and trying to get an official diagnosis) and I was just wondering, is it possible for non-autistics to stim? I meet most of the criteria for aspergers but I have never been literal minded and I can read expressions very well... I feel that I see the world as it is. I am witty, I am intelligent, I read books, etc.

The symptoms I have that make me think that I may have aspergers are:

1. I "stim" (I stare and concentrate on objects and while doing that I either make sounds, tap my foot, jump or do some other thing with my body. I can also stim while thinking of something or while listening to music, my stims seem to be triggered by certain objects or patterns that I see or think of mentally... This sometimes brings me feelings of pleasure but it disturbs me afterwards and causes anxiety)

2. I have always felt extreme anxiety around people. Before puberty I wasn't as anxious around people but I still had anxiety to a certain extent.

3. I've never dated (except when I was 12 or 13 which doesn't really count... Also I was asked out by the person)

4. Speech came a few months late for me

5. I have a flawless memory

6. I wet my bed as a child (I read somewhere that close to 60% of people with aspergers wet the bed as kids)

...Do you guys think I have aspergers or do you think that it could be something else? (I will still try to get a diagnosis from a physician after I read your posts)

batista90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 4:57 am

it sounds like u could got it but i would sucses to do online test (my number was 31 even it said 35 was asperger)..and yes i got diagnose :lol:
but u really need to do real tests

..dead..what u know about dead?
feel free to talk:)

straples-> http://www.alinssite.info/

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 5:55 am

You might or might not. There needs to be more information. I wouldn't be quick to diagnose you since what you posted can be attributed to other factors.

I score very high on the online "aspie tests", but I still doubt the results and "seek" an official diagnosis.

If I do not have Asperger Syndrome, then I have Schizoid Personality Disorder. If I do not have Schizoid Personality Disorder, then I have Asperger Syndrome.

If I do not have either Asperger Syndrom or Schizoid Personality Disorder, then I'm one f'd up individual. 8O

AndersTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 6:09 am

Are those 6 the only traits you have that can be linked to AS? It is impossible to say anything definitive from just 6 traits.
Have you researched AS well enough to know all the traits that are linked to it, and are you sure that you fit only those 6?

Worth researching if you haven't already.

Welcome to WP by the way :D

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 6:33 am

Do you know where I can take a test?

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 7:13 am

Have a look at www.autismresearchcentre.com [Cambridge University]

MattD
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

googlewhack
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Feb 2008, 9:12 am

I'm almost in the same boat as you in that I can read non-verbal communication quite well, but with everything else I'm very aspie-like, so I'm just really confused as to whether it can be AS or not.