Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

wolphin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Feb 2008, 3:31 am

I've just stopped paying attention to the news. At first I just stopped watching TV news because it's either depressing, overwhelming, upsetting, anxiety producing, or just plain stressful. Then after switching to online news, it was cool for a while, then it seemed to become just as bad as the TV news. Now I only ever go to digg.com for "news" since for the most part it's not so bad.

So except for the election, I purposefully don't pay attention anymore. Anyone else?

chouchou
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Feb 2008, 3:39 am

I despise reading the comments section of any news article. The things some people write are just so ridiculous and callous that I get chills.

I don't mind reading the news, though. Just the comments.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2008, 4:32 am

For the most part, I find news boring, and irrelevant to my life. I just don't care about, what they have to say. :wink:

Those who know, don't speak.

mj1
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Feb 2008, 4:43 am

I HATE the news. I stopped paying attention to it months ago.

I find it stressful and highly irritating. Most of the stories usually involve the growing stupidity of people which irritates me (and worries me). Then there are the stories about the growing technology which stresses me out and irritates me because people have no idea about what's really going on with this technology like loss of freedom. I insist that one day we'll be implanted with tracking and behavioral modification chips. And that the computers will take over the world like in the Terminator or the Matrix.

Sometimes the TV news will report on the dumbest stories. It's very clear to me that they have nothing else to talk about and the news should be shortened from 1hr to 5 minutes.

Even the weather is annoying. The weather people are never right about anything. They say it'll be a nice sunny day and it ends up storming all day. Or they say it'll be warm and it ends up being freezing cold. What really bothers me is that in the winter they can't wait for the summer as if the cold is torturous. Then in the summer they can't wait for winter because they can't stand the heat. Idiots!

23 Feb 2008, 4:46 am

I like watching the news. They say lot of interesting things on it.

Everchanging
Toucan
Toucan

Location: In my ivory tower where I don't have to pretend to care what you think any more.

23 Feb 2008, 4:46 am

Quote:
Even the weather is annoying. The weather people are never right about anything.

Not surprising, most channels only use their weather reports as an excuse to parade a hot chick in front of the camera.

(Please don't take that the wrong way! I'm not trying to be sexist, in fact I'm pointing out that it's the channels themselves that are being sexist...)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2008, 5:26 am

I've given up on the news, just before the Christmas of 2005. After reading about the ending of what I've thought was London's greatest era, I became adamant that I wasn't going to read or watch the news, ever again. The news would only bring back that horrible memory. I've been buying Routemasters, instead of newspapers, since that weekend.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Feb 2008, 5:31 am

can't bear the news; can't bear the voices they use to describe deaths and war and disease. Can't bear the fact that almost everybody on screen, unless it's a fashion or famine special, is a man. Can't bear the totally partial selection of things to report, as if wars stop at xmas for instance, and there's only ever two allowed to be going on at the same time, even then it's a stretch for them! Can't bear the news because when it's about something i know something about ( nutrition for example) , they are usually wrong. ( what does that mean about the rest of it?) Can't bear the news because it is entertainment, top billing peak viewing pull'em-in stuff, based on real peoples suffering, like the roman ampitheatres, rather than a horror film, where noone suffers, but which so many condemn or find silly, only real death is good enough for them. Can't bear the news because it is peak viewing because it reassures and comforts so many people with TVs that all is the way it should be; wars and famines in the right places, women barely seen and virtually not heard, children invisible.

can't bear the news. Poisonous junk. ( like wolphin and mj1 above i find it stressful, irritating, anxiety inducing, upsetting, and ultimately depressing)

8)

SuedeIII
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Feb 2008, 6:53 am

The way the media sensationalizes violence and tragedy irritates the hell out of me. Tell me the facts, nothing more please.

Starscream
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Feb 2008, 7:06 am

i gave up on the news, mainly cause i just can't be arsed to hear what the total bodycount for the Charge of the Oil Brigade is

wolphin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Feb 2008, 8:05 am

I feel kinda bad about not being an "informed world citizen", but realistically, only paying attention to the couple of issues that interest me is better for my happiness.

It's almost a bit like reverse the stereotype of aspergers. It's not that I don't have emotions or empathy for all the people and their tragedies and suffering they report on the news, it's that those affect me too much and it's kinda more than I can really deal with.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2008, 8:36 am

It depends. I'm usually unmoved by news. What gets me is how it is presented. Some foreign news report like their on a damn game show. I would like to see them electrocuted as theyre reporting.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2008, 10:22 am

They say the same thing over and over again. I get so irritated that I have to switch to something else. I'm tired of all these talking head pundits.

livinglearning
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Feb 2008, 11:03 am

wolphin wrote:
I feel kinda bad about not being an "informed world citizen", but realistically, only paying attention to the couple of issues that interest me is better for my happiness.

It's almost a bit like reverse the stereotype of aspergers. It's not that I don't have emotions or empathy for all the people and their tragedies and suffering they report on the news, it's that those affect me too much and it's kinda more than I can really deal with.

WOW! That's exactly how I feel! I thought I was the only one.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2008, 12:24 pm

I miss the news. I used to listen to NPR for hours, when I had my own car. Now all I get is Country or Rap (the missus and daughter)....sigh...;)

Talk radio is a slight help, but maybe I'm a news junkie...;) go figure.

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2008, 12:54 pm

I hate my local news because it's all soft news. Here in RI, we only have four local news-producing TV channels (excluding PBS) - WJAR (NBC), WLNE (ABC) and WPRI (CBS) and WNAC (FOX) (I group the last two together because their owned by the same people and share their news team and the sole news chopper in the whole state), and all they do is report on garbage, like a cat in a Providence old folks home that knows when the elderly will die or a new skate park in Central Falls. I mean give me a break.

I do like Countdown with Keith Olberman. He's cool. And the Daily Show, of course, because they actually get it right more than CNN or FOX News. And they're fake.

I can't watch Bill O'Reilly for more than 10 seconds or steam will come out of my ears.