Does Cleaning Make Anyone Else Physically Ill?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2008, 11:03 am

The act of cleaning has to be done in small pieces for me, because I come really close to vomiting on each part. It's just so icky. I'd almost do better with my eyes closed, but then I'd have to touch it in some way.

Anyone else like this?

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2008, 11:24 am

I'm quite the opposite.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

squier
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2008, 11:29 am

lastcrazyhorn wrote:
The act of cleaning has to be done in small pieces for me, because I come really close to vomiting on each part. It's just so icky. I'd almost do better with my eyes closed, but then I'd have to touch it in some way.

Anyone else like this?

I get like that when I change my bunny's litter box, but i am yet to puke. I wish it made me physically ill, it could get me out of chores! :lol:

my book:
http://www.lulu.com/content/710903

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2008, 11:40 am

I have trouble cleaning due to allergies (dust mites when vacuuming and dusting) and a new condition called multiple chemical sensitivity which is similar to allergies but involves being sensitive to many chemicals such as those found in cleaning products and perfume.

If you want more info on multiple chemical sensitivity:
http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/mu ... ensitivity

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2008, 11:41 am

i have problems with my brain insisting that I do other things instead...I might get dizzy and tired and frustrated...but not exactly physically ill.

Redrocket
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Feb 2008, 12:17 pm

Cleaning in general does not bother me that much. It can be annoying sometimes and tiresome. The only things about cleaning that really bother me is what has to be cleaned. If, for a example, some vomit has to be cleaned up, some smelly bowel movement, blood or a dead animal then I would have a problem. Also the smell of ammonia bothers me and sometimes the noise of vacuum cleaners annoy me.

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2008, 12:28 pm

Since I'm very thorough, cleaning physically exhausts me, and I tend to become distracted (reading articles in newspapers I'm using to clean the windows, for instance), but the act of cleaning doesn't bother me. Then again, I never let my flat get very dirty in the first place.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2008, 12:52 pm

not cleaning is what gets me. I would love to do more cleaning, but with a daughter, wife, and 4 cats, it's a process, not a destination...;)

happybrats3
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Feb 2008, 12:56 pm

Just wanted to post about this..I am new here.

My son Jake is an Aspie, you can read about him on my web page.

I found that when we used bleach or any pine smelling cleaners, he literally went through the roof. My mother brought over bleach one day to clean the house...I was gone and she was watching the kids. I came home and about puked at the smell of bleach.

Jake was swinging off of his bunkbed, and my mom said, "I used bleach." I had told her to NOT use bleach in the past...but she is "old school" and thinks bleach is King.

I had to literally reclean every inch of the house and air it out to get the bleach smell out. I told her to NEVER use bleach again around Jake.

We now use non-toxic cleaners and have not had a problem since. You can see them on my web page.

I cannot take Jake to the grocery store either and go down the cleaning aisle...he always seems to have a meltdown when he is close to those products.

I will never buy store bought cleaners ever. Jake reacts very easily to the smells...fumes.

googlewhack
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Feb 2008, 1:53 pm

I love cleaning unless it involves plugs or bins... then I heave. :eew:

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2008, 2:00 pm

Dusting, and sometimes vacuuming, will set off my allergies. Does that count?

- Emerson

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2008, 2:00 pm

just makes me sweat with the constant bending over and scrubbing. I love a clean house. It's just that I loathe cleaning.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2008, 2:23 pm

googlewhack wrote:
I love cleaning unless it involves plugs or bins... then I heave. :eew:

Yeah, that's closer to what I'm talking about.

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2008, 2:59 pm

I have a dust allergy, so when I'm cleaning dusty things, I get a headache and want to lie down for a nap. But I don't think that's what you meant.

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2008, 4:24 pm

That'd depends on how rank the area I'm cleaning is. The longer I let it fester, the worse it looks and smells. I've never been physically ill due to cleaning. I'd much rather clean, say, the toilet after my brother uses it than breath the nauseous fumes. I use unscented cleaners or just plain water, I hate bleach.

If you clean regularly, it won't be so bad, usually.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History

emoboxergeek
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Feb 2008, 5:38 pm

In my opinion reasons for feeling ill can be two of the following, either you feel really nervous and stressed out (so you feel sick), or cleaning releases dust and allergies start to become a problem. My allergies start up everytime I start cleaning; best treated with antihistamines.