Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

25 Feb 2008, 9:50 pm

As a young child was very repeditive. Now...I still am, but not to the same extent. I still like to talk about the same things to people...and often get told that I ask the same questions over and over again, which sometimes I don't even realise i'm doing! :oops:

Although, now I am more accepting to change if given a warning prior...when I was a young child, I would melt down at the mention of plans changing. :roll:

GreatScott
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Feb 2008, 11:14 pm

Depends on what you mean by repetitive. I'm usually pretty good about not saying the same things to people, and I don't often repeat what people say (although I sometimes do), but I tend to make the same gestures over and over, repeat things I hear on TV or movies or read in books, and when I get stressed I sing commercial jingles or songs to myself over and over and over. ^_^()

nomad21
Toucan
Toucan

25 Feb 2008, 11:22 pm

Oh all the time. I tell people the same stories and ask the same questions, constantly.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2008, 1:01 am

Yee gads I am...in lots of different ways....my mom is very repetative also.

When I was younger, I thought it was funny.....hey! did you know that my dad went to school with patrick swayze? Hey! did you know that my dad went to school with patrick swayze? Hey.......

If I have told anyone anything once....I have told them a thousand times....

I think I am repetative with talking about things because I am thinking about them repeatedly...

I know that my mom's obsession with raw foods is so all-consuming that she can't help telling me over and over and over and over every time I see her..how to make cashew milk...

CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2008, 1:07 am

Sometimes I might ask a question, and then forget I asked. Then about ten minutes later I might ask it again.

kleodimus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2008, 6:25 pm

i am told i dont know i am doin it

Tempy
Toucan
Toucan

26 Feb 2008, 6:28 pm

princess_1989 wrote:
I am told that i am repetitive a lot. It gets on my family's nerves. i've always been this way. i can't help it that i am repetitive, i tell my family, which they know is part of autism, that i do this to feel heard. i need to have a feeling of clarity which is why i am repetitive. at times, i don't even realise that i am repetitve. i get in trouble for that often.

yup, repetitive here too. And I do get on peoples nerves doing it, i feel honestly there is no avoiding either the repetitiveness or annoying ppl by it.

Mum2ASDboy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2008, 6:46 pm

My son is and yes it does get on my nerves at times but I have learnt to half listen and tune out at times :lol: . I do however tell him 'bus talk is finished' :oops: Doesn't work tho I will try to change subject but it always goes back to buses :lol: Meh I give up :lol:

If people get uptight about you repetitiveness it is their problem, they should get over it. After all isn't repetitive behaviours part of autism :?

Tempy
Toucan
Toucan

26 Feb 2008, 6:55 pm

Its harder when you are undiagnosed. People just asume you are being irritating on purpose, are inconsiderate or plain rude. If there isnt a doctors paper stating that you are within the spectrum then it cannot be legitimate.

aries
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Feb 2008, 7:11 pm

I do this too. Firstly in part due to having a bad memory and secondly because I often struggle for things to say so end up repeating what I said already. Ironically I hate being told the same story over and over again. In fact if I have to tell a story to different people I'll often tell it in different ways just not to annoy myself. But this has interesting side effects as some people will confer about my story and due to the perceived inconsistancies deduce that I am lying!

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2008, 7:16 pm

I'm repetitive, but only because sometimes saying something once isn't enough for some people. Some just don't "grasp" things the first time you tell them.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2008, 7:32 pm

In my general speech I can reiterate the same idea three or four times in the process of attempting to express it. That is another way in which I am repetative. Sometimes I will explain the same idea over and over in different words until the person i am explaining it to walks away.
I have seen NTs be repetative....I believe can be a part of small talk....i have a limited scope of what I will talk about with people...so often if I have more than one conversation with a person...the same thing I have talked to them about before will come up again.

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2008, 8:16 pm

I like talking about a limited array of topics compared to most people, and I like discussing them all the time, mostly because I'm thinking about them extremely often. I also like making comments that will give a predictable reaction from others(eg. asking my step mom if she wants to hold my pet snake. She's afraid of snakes and the answer is always 'no' or 'maybe when I'm 50'.).

My aunt always complained about this too. One of many of her comments, "Can't you talk about something less repititious?" made when I was in 6th grade in reference to me having a monologue on reptiles, although she was always complaining about this as far back as my memories go...

Quote:
I'm repetitive, but only because sometimes saying something once isn't enough for some people. Some just don't "grasp" things the first time you tell them.

It is my experience that most don't want to 'grasp' these things.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2008, 8:19 pm

scumsuckingdouchebag wrote:
It is my experience that most don't want to 'grasp' these things.

Don't want to? Either they don't want to or they just want to annoy.

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2008, 8:29 pm

maybe

possibly

could be

ummmm....

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2008, 8:32 pm

I was very bad when I was younger. I discipline myself not to be this way now.