Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

DevilInPgh
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Feb 2008, 4:31 pm

Did anyone see Larry King last night regarding autism and AS? If so, what did you think? I'm sorta conflicted about it myself, especially when J-Mac (James McElwain) said he was comfortable with using the word "cure". That being said, I'll probably buy his book after I get done reading The Plot Against America (which is not a conspiracy-nut book btw, but rather an alternate-history novel written by Philip Roth).

Also, the autistic community lost a great supporter yesterday in Myron Cope. The sale of his "Terrible Towels" benefit the Allegheny Valley School, and he was a board member of the ASA-Pittsburgh chapter. May he rest in peace.

Mum2ASDboy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 5:10 pm

I am hoping that will be screened here (NZ) tonight (finger's crossed!).

NewportBeachDude
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Feb 2008, 7:33 am

I saw the Larry King Live piece and thought it was excellent. Larry did come across as tired, but I guess he's doing overtime with election coverage.

I think J-Mac is an inspiration and we will definately buy his book. It doesn't bother me that he mentioned a cure and I think if the ND movement or Aspergians who support that thinking come down on him, shame on them. It will only make them look foolish in the eyes of many for picking on a young man who's accomplished so much in life despite the basketball game that made him famous.

I'd like to see more shows like this on television with representation from all parts of the spectrum. Clearly, Doug Flutie's son is at the lower end, but their story has a lot to offer parents/adults who are caring for those at that end of the spectrum. Doug said his son will need assitance for the rest of his life. Their story and how they cope can give guidance to many.