Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Mum2ASDboy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2008, 3:15 am

How can I teach Damo (5 years) to control his verbal stims?

To my knowledge that are not happening at school only here at home.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2008, 8:19 am

what kind of verbal stims does he have.

I am 32 and still stim verbally...my perpetual singing is a form of verbal stimming...also i have several gibberish phrases I repeat.

When I was little, I used to make quacking noises and also motorcycle noises...and probably some other stuff i don't remember....

skeeterhawk
Raven
Raven

03 Mar 2008, 10:37 am

I wonder if the fact that they only happen at home is evidence that he is already controlling them. I know my own verbal stims (some folks say this is Tourette's) come on much stronger when I am alone. I am 60 and never made had any organized effort to control my noises. It was just very uncomfortable when I made the noises and other people reacted very negatively.

Somewhat off topic, I have wondered if there is some synesthesia involved in this. I feel these noises and words much more strongly than other sounds. That fits nicely with my tendency to use them when I am stressed or just having a good time on my own.

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2008, 10:43 am

If you find the answer, let me know! There is not a quiet moment in my house unless (a) the kids are into something they shouldn't be or (b) they're asleep. My son does not speak, but he is always vocalizing sounds or repeating the handful of letters he can say. My daughter always makes noises, ranging from squeaking to humming to banging things. Last night I attempted to watch a show on television about the human body, which probably would have been pretty cool if I could have caught more than every 6 or 7 words they said. Mostly I just don't even try, and if I need to escape the constant overwhelming noise, I put on my iPod.

Good luck.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2008, 11:57 am

skeeterhawk wrote:
I wonder if the fact that they only happen at home is evidence that he is already controlling them.

Good point! I had a really hard time controlling them when I was in school...When I was not in school, it was a non-issue....noone thought anything of it..except perhaps for my older relatives....Who were not always around..

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2008, 12:29 pm

I have tons of verbal stims, sometimes they get confused with my verbal tics but it gets crazy haha. Im always making some type of noise with my mouth, most of them are not even words. What I do to surpress my verbal stims if they get bad, I take a lollipop or get a drink sometimes it works, sometimes it just stops it for time being. My bf makes fun of me all the time and says i sound like I'm from the sims haha.

batista90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2008, 12:44 pm

Mum2ASDboy wrote:
How can I teach Damo (5 years) to control his verbal stims?

To my knowledge that are not happening at school only here at home.
if its not happening skool whys its broblem?:O...i mean hes only 5 and if its not happening skool he will learn to control em more when he grows up

..dead..what u know about dead?
feel free to talk:)

straples-> http://www.alinssite.info/

skeeterhawk
Raven
Raven

03 Mar 2008, 1:56 pm

Quote:
Age1600 said:

I have tons of verbal stims, sometimes they get confused with my verbal tics

Do you feel there is a difference?

Maybe it's a tic if you just do it without there being any sort of stim. I don't know how I would know that if I were under stress since at those times I'm not aware of any positive side of my uncontrolled actions.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2008, 2:24 pm

skeeterhawk wrote:
Quote:
Age1600 said:

I have tons of verbal stims, sometimes they get confused with my verbal tics

Do you feel there is a difference?

Maybe it's a tic if you just do it without there being any sort of stim. I don't know how I would know that if I were under stress since at those times I'm not aware of any positive side of my uncontrolled actions.

a tic hurts, because i cant stop it, but then i stim right after to soothe myself, so sometimes it gets reallly confusing haha. Like i'll repeat things over and over and over until my throat is killing me, until i just want to rip out my vocal cords, then all of a sudden ill start a new thing where ill say nonsense words over and over where it feels good, it drives me nuts!

skeeterhawk
Raven
Raven

03 Mar 2008, 2:50 pm

I really like your answer, Age1600. It uses the wonderfully concrete language that I wish everyone would use.

I sometimes, when really stressed after meeting with many people, will have to curse in unusual ways for quite a while but never (so far) till it hurts. It doesn't really soothe like a good stim sound (for me a "wh" sound helps alot) and I can shut them off temporarily if I have to. (They will come back later). So maybe these are tics and maybe they aren't, but the real issue, concretely speaking, is whether they can HURT.

Thanks again.