"My Own World" and Interior Life (Spirituality)

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Smitty101
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jul 2011, 12:20 pm

I have a very specific topic for discussion that has to do with spirituality / religion. I'm sorry to bring up a topic that can be controversial. But I hope by limiting the subject it can avoid turning it into a pro-anti religion thread.

I'm hoping to hear from people who consider themselves spiritual or religious and have what I call 'interior life'. I think that may be a specifically Christian term, but it refers to a as meditation/prayer/contemplative life, or the kind of things people of any religion experience while meditating.

Basically I'm wondering if the aspie 'my own world' has something to do with the spiritual 'interior life'. Does this ability to be 'off in our own world' have anything at all to do with meditation/contemplation/prayer? Also other spiritual phenomena like interior locution, epiphanies, etc.

I feel as though AS has given me the ability to have a better 'interior life', but it's hard to know what an NT means by that term when we are so different. Does anyone have any insights into that?

Thanks in advance.

24 Jul 2011, 1:28 pm

I've always been sort of confused about what it means to have an interior life, but for me I think it helps me cope with the day to day life of being and aspie, and the feeling of lonliness and social isolation that I experience. People that know me think I'm religious, but I think I'm more spiritual, unlike most other aspies that I know. For many years when I was younger I wanted to be catholic priest. Eventually with the help with some spiritual advisers, I came to the realization that this was not my vocation. This was only 2 or 3 years after I discovered I had asperger's. I think that liturgy became one of my obsessions which sort of make me think that I had a calling to the priesthood.

Spiritualwoman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jul 2011, 2:03 pm

For me my "autistic" own world means spiritual life. I am lonely mystic.
If here is any male person around 40 years old(minimum lets say 32) who is like me, I would be happy to send private messages with. (But I can not promise I am able to reply.)

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2011, 2:07 pm

I also consider myself a very spiritual person. While I am not an adherent of any mainstream religion I do feel there is a common thread of truth that connects them all. I also meditate daily which I feel helps me connect to the lifeforce I feel runs through all living things. I guess this belief is pretty similar to the native American beliefs. Paying homage to this lifeforce (some people feel more comfortable calling this lifeforce God) connects us to all living things. As far as my AS being advantagious to this, I don't know. Maybe I would have had the same beliefs if I had been born a NT . If someone refers to this as an interior life, that would be a good way to describe it.

PinkRangerV
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jul 2011, 3:09 pm

I was really spiritual when I was younger. Now I just don't have enough time for deep spiritual meditation (/joke and ooh, a squirrel! /end joke), but I still feel very connected to God, although since I'm Pagan, I say Goddess. :)

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2011, 4:16 pm

To stick to the specific question, and avoid potential controversy, I'll simply say I have strong beliefs, and strive to have an inner spiritual life. I have no idea how this inner life compares to what an NT would experience, since I have never been an NT, even if I only figured out what I was recently. I do find the traits that seem to be linked to AS are helpful in having an inner life and in prayer in some ways, and they seem to be disruptive in others. When my mind has a hard time focusing, and jumps all over the place, then I can't focus on prayer or an inner life very well, either - although, if I try, sometimes I will have more success than I expect, which I tend to ascribe to my AS traits.

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

oceandrop
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jul 2011, 7:50 pm

I'm not sure if this answers your question exactly, but at times when I've been very dedicated to studying Scripture and contemplating God, I have felt very close to God in prayer and in day to day things. I also felt very detached and carefree about mundane matters in life. I have had a couple of very powerful dreams with people who seemed very Holy and were helping me and giving advice which turned out to be priceless.

Life problems have since distracted me from all that and I've since wavered, but I hope to go back to that way.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2011, 10:46 pm

Anyone can feel the light of christ if they are searching for it.

You need a laying on of hands and living a good life to have the Holy Ghost, but on rare occasions, the comforter can come to someone who needs it.

Revelations come when there is a purpose to it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2011, 10:55 pm

My spiritual growth began when I discarded religion.

No one can grow while being told what to think, what to believe, how to behave, whom to marry, what to eat and drink, where to work, and how to raise their kids - especially when told by a group of smarmy, condescending old men whose sole purpose in life seems to be quoting random passages from a collection of apocryphal stories that originated with stone-age nomads soon after the end of the most recent Ice Age.

Smitty101
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Aug 2011, 1:01 pm

chrissyrun wrote:

You need a laying on of hands and living a good life to have the Holy Ghost, but on rare occasions, the comforter can come to someone who needs it.

I experienced the baptism of the Holy Spirit and it was really powerful for me, including interior visions and overwhelming emotions. I wonder if aspires can more easily experience interior 'visions' since we think in images and have a strong interior world.

K-R-X
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Aug 2011, 1:08 pm

Fnord wrote:
My spiritual growth began when I discarded religion.

^^^ Actually really well said.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 1:18 pm

Smitty101 wrote:
chrissyrun wrote:

I experienced the baptism of the Holy Spirit and it was really powerful for me, including interior visions and overwhelming emotions. I wonder if aspires can more easily experience interior 'visions' since we think in images and have a strong interior world.

Idk, I have no idea what "interior visions" are...I just felt the spirit.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 4:15 pm

So people who have their own little worlds who are in no way religious aren't allowed to reply? How does that give an unbiased assessment?

Edit: I apologize if I'm misunderstanding the question.

Smitty101
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Aug 2011, 6:18 pm

Zen wrote:
So people who have their own little worlds who are in no way religious aren't allowed to reply? How does that give an unbiased assessment?

Edit: I apologize if I'm misunderstanding the question.

Well, its like if you posted a question about the best way to BBQ steak, and you get a bunch of posts saying that steak is bad for you, or that BBQs waste energy. Its not really what you were looking for.

But I don't have the right to tell people what to post of course :)