Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2008, 5:57 pm

It's about three months I'm seeing a psych. The first two months it was ok, it helped me to clarify some things that bothered me, but then, after two months, I felt ok and quit. I came back after two weeks for no specific reason (I felt obliged to a certain extent, because when I left he said I was wrong) and saw him twice, last time today. Now, the point is: I feel FINE right now, I have a good job, I have friends, I have good self esteem and a sense of autonomy, I don't feel any need to continue seeing him. He says I have absolute need of therapy. He says that maybe AS doesn't exist, when I say I feel disconnected by other people he says it's just a psychological defense I have developed over the years, when I say that when I look at peoples faces I just get confused and it feels like a simulation he says it's just a matter of practice, he treats me like an NT and that makes me feel bad. What I wanted to ask is: is there empirical evidence of a structural difference between NT and AS brain ? Is there a REAL difference ? Because I definitely feel that my brain works differently from other people, I'm fine feeling different (but together) from (with) other people, it seems to me that my current situation is the best I can have . It would be nice to have an empirical support to my feelings. Trying to be normal has always made me feel bad, I'm fine being the happy weird guy I'm right now.

Thanks

Edit: maybe a girlfriend would make the situation perfect (but I'm not sure) :wink:

Edit: adiitional questions: anyone had similar experinces ? Any advice as to what to do ?

sands
Toucan
Toucan

13 Mar 2008, 7:01 pm

I don't think it would help to see someone that actually questions if AS is real or not.

What's normal anyway?

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2008, 7:11 pm

sands wrote:
I don't think it would help to see someone that actually questions if AS is real or not.

I don't know if he says that because he really thinks that or if it is a strategy to help me, in any case it bothers me.

sands
Toucan
Toucan

13 Mar 2008, 7:18 pm

If you have been diagnosed as having aspergers it is a very much real condition. Your brain is wired different than the majority of the populations and you need someone that not only believes it, but understands it! The more you know about you the less depression will take over.

What's normal anyway?

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2008, 7:29 pm

Rainbow-Squirrel, your avatar is stimmy.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2008, 7:31 pm

Mikomi wrote:

How do you expect people to read what you write with an avatar like that? ;)

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2008, 7:37 pm

Mikomi wrote:

Stimmy = capable of inducing stimming ? :wink:

SilverProteus wrote:
How do you expect people to read what you write with an avatar like that?

By writing very interesting things :lmao:

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2008, 8:29 pm

There are structural differences (please, somebody hand this guy a link) and the further along the spectrum you are, the more visible they are. However, most of the differences can't be seen until you autopsy the brain.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2008, 9:07 pm

I think there are 2 separate issues: 1st diagnostic. If you already have your Dx, or are confident with your status, then there is no need to further pursue.

2nd therapy: If you are happy, well-adjusted, doing ok, why would you ever see a professional in this capacity? I am unsure why he would be insistent upon this. You have no obligation to continue seeing him.

Analogously, would you continue to see a chiropractor (re: previous back injury) if you're all healed, fully functional, and feel ok? Why would chiropractor ask you to return anyway? I think it's fine to see your psych, perhaps for a brief 'tune-up' if the need arises, but not continuously as per your status. Maybe you could just thank him for his services, and tell him you'll keep his # in your rolodex for further reference, if necessary.

Separately, I might be a bit concerned if your doctor is not well-versed in AS - is he unclear with this distinction? That might make me leery. (see 1st diagnostic issue point). Many psychologists are foreign to AS so I've found it best to not make the assumption he knows!

Ooooo......whatever you choose, don't show him your avatar - it's scary.

Last edited by LabPet on 13 Mar 2008, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2008, 9:08 pm

Rainbow-Squirrel wrote:
It's about three months I'm seeing a psych. The first two months it was ok, it helped me to clarify some things that bothered me, but then, after two months, I felt ok and quit. I came back after two weeks for no specific reason (I felt obliged to a certain extent, because when I left he said I was wrong) and saw him twice, last time today.

WOW! HE asks for money, and you pay!? 8O WOW, GIVE ME SOME! :lol:

Rainbow-Squirrel wrote:
Now, the point is: I feel FINE right now

I do too!

Rainbow-Squirrel wrote:
, I have a good job

I do too!

Rainbow-Squirrel wrote:
, I have friends

By the way many define it, I do too!

Rainbow-Squirrel wrote:
, I have good self esteem and a sense of autonomy

Same HERE!

Rainbow-Squirrel wrote:
, I don't feel any need to continue seeing him. He says I have absolute need of therapy.

It sounds to me like you DON'T need therapy! I don't!

Rainbow-Squirrel wrote:
He says that maybe AS doesn't exist

Feed him some bread, like the old people do in the parks with the other "quacks"! :lol:

Rainbow-Squirrel wrote:
, when I say I feel disconnected by other people he says it's just a psychological defense I have developed over the years, when I say that when I look at peoples faces I just get confused and it feels like a simulation he says it's just a matter of practice,

Yeah, right! And I'm bugs bunny!

Rainbow-Squirrel wrote:
he treats me like an NT and that makes me feel bad. What I wanted to ask is: is there empirical evidence of a structural difference between NT and AS brain ? Is there a REAL difference ? Because I definitely feel that my brain works differently from other people, I'm fine feeling different (but together) from (with) other people, it seems to me that my current situation is the best I can have . It would be nice to have an empirical support to my feelings. Trying to be normal has always made me feel bad, I'm fine being the happy weird guy I'm right now.

I wouldn't believe it either, but I am WIERD in ways many here are. You probably couldn't pick me out of a room of people on the average day. I look normal. I think I ACT rather normal. Ask my neighboors, and THEY might say I am normal(MAYBE even the woman that came over to see if I was ok because she never saw the car move in 4 DAYS!)! But there ARE odd things. BTW I DID leave my home on most days(For an average of 1 hour a day)

Oh well....

BTW there HAVE been a lot of PHYSICAL differences found Missing parts(like the sylvian fissure), different parts(like the amygdala, etc...), differences in the neurons, differences in density, differences in the white matter. But HEY, it works different! Look at the crusoe! TOTALLY different from intel, but programmed to work the same! The AMD processors are programmed a bit differently, but are more similar. Nobody cares, unless it works differently.