Planning REALLY far ahead- is it common for Aspies?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 1:28 am

The relationship between me and my girlfriend started about a month ago- and a good part of me already believes she's the one.

And let's just say, in certain contexts, I'm already trying to plan out some *ahem* significant events VERY far in advance( and I mean YEARS in advance)...is this common for Aspies?

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 1:54 am

I don't know but I've heard a lot of similar stuff from NTs. I've heard many ppl talk about what they're going to be doing in their relationships years away and what they're worries are in the future. I even went with a friend who wanted a reading done by a psychic about how her future would hold out financially with her 2nd husband. So, I don't think that kind of thinking is marginalized to aspies. It does seem like we tend to analyze a lot of pros and cons with big and small issues, but this is coming from an aspie's view.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 2:07 am

Well, here's my logic about it:

Face facts- we Aspies really don't do a lot of dating overall; and the majority of NTs are pretty much turned off by us. It actually winds up narrowing our dating pools down a LOT( though it's actually not a bad thing- more of a good thing, to be honest).

I figure if the average NT dates like 2-3 women, seriously, at most- my guess is we Aspies are likely to do quite a bit less than that.

Plus, it ain' like I'm 21 anymore- I'm gonna be 26 at the end of this month- four years from the big 3-0...I'm in a SERIOUS relationship as far as I'm concerned.

She fell for ME, went after ME, I think she's gorgeous, and as far as I know, encompasses everything I could possibly ask in a soul mate...she's also got the patience and understanding of a heavenly angel. And believe me- she's no gold digger, either.

I've already told her I think she's the one, but that I don't plan on tying the knot for quite a while, and we're both in agreement over it...but she seems excited over the eventual prospect over it.

Dracula
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Mar 2008, 5:22 am

:roll:

Izaak
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 6:32 am

I have trouble projecting anything more than a few months into the future.

When I bought my new car I could only budget by the month. So I just set up auto-debits so that I no longer have to take cognizance of the fact and just made a new budget with that much less money so I didn't have to think further than a fortnight away.

So, in essence I plan years in advance by tricking my mind into projecting fortnights off into infinity without actually planning anything in advance... a bit of a clumsy way of explaining but yeah,... there it is.

Can't comment on planning a life together with someone. Aint met anyone yet.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 6:56 am

We're too fast for those slow NTs. They make us miserable by slowing us down. That's why so many of us are clinically depressed.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 7:40 am

I am known to plan things 2 years in advance.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

kit000003
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Mar 2008, 9:01 am

i like to over-plan things... but i see this as a control issue.

if applied to aspergians.... maybe as a scheduling thing? we like to know where and when and what we are doing at all times