Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 8:39 am

I mean, other than with stomach related symptoms.

How often do you get sick with colds/bronchitis/flu etc.?

Personally, I rarely get sick with anything other than the latest stomach virus. However, even this year, I seem to be above it (knock on wood). I'm a grad student in a music building full of sick people. There are at least 2 different strains of EVERYTHING going around; and it's been like this for 4 months or so.

And other than a couple of days of allergies, I've come down with nothing. Nada. Zip.

You?

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 8:46 am

Usually, every 3 months. It's almost always an upper respiratory infection.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 9:04 am

I used to get bronchitis several times a year until college (my parents both smoked until I was in high school). Now I get big sick once a year or everything other year. I don't take the flu shot ever.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 9:07 am

i have a pretty sturdy immune system.
If i get sick, usually it is something i catch from Flakey, who gets sick alot more than I do.

Irisrises
Toucan
Toucan

14 Mar 2008, 9:14 am

I used to get sick all the time but these days I actually can't remember the last time I did. I used to get colds that lasted for months, I used to be knocked out throughout February and March, this immune system breakdown recurred for about five years. I was stressed out. Í used to take Echinacea when I felt something coming and I recommend it, but these days I never have it at home anymore so I'll take a spoonful of colloidal silver if I have it and it kills the germs in my throat (usually I'll get throat infections, that's how it starts, as a kid they'd give me antibiotics for them but it's been decades since I took any now, thankfully.) If I don't have it I'll use salt (to gargle with) or sage tea, they're good too.

So, healthy Irisrises today, whatever the circumstances. But I worked hard for that.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 9:14 am

1 cold a year that I usually catch off my mother.

Tensho
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Mar 2008, 9:18 am

I rarely get ill and its probably the reason i was very late to get diagnosed. I never had to go to the doctors for anything I wasnt ill enough. I dont do anything to avoid catching illnesses either.

Paperplate
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Mar 2008, 9:21 am

almost never

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 9:24 am

I don't get sick very often (other than stomach-related complaints of course).

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 9:33 am

Tensho wrote:
I dont do anything to avoid catching illnesses either.

That's me too.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 12:30 pm

Since I'm stressing myself out everyday: I usually am too fatigue to go to school twice a month.

When there's no stress: I get sick every 2 or 3 years? I was sick thrice until the end of fourth grade - once when I three, one time when I was five I caught chicken pox and one time in elementary school I was throwing up for no apparent reason.

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 12:42 pm

Not very often. One of the few benefits of not having regular everyday contact with other people.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 12:55 pm

I have some allergies, which annoy me, but other than that, I seldomly am sick. Last year, I had strong headaches for a few days and a cold, but that was it.

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 12:59 pm

I wish I got sick instead of depressed. One day, coming down off Celexa, I felt nauseous all day and threw up a few times I was thinking to myself how lucky I was that at least I wasn't depressed. Taking the Celexa didn't make me throw up all day or have any side effects at all but I would have happily taken them if I had them. Maybe I shouldn't have gone off the stuff.

Anyway, I don't get sick at al anymore, just depressed! I used to get sick all the time; I had a major phlegm and snot problem and had to carry lots of kleenex or toilet paper, but I'd go back to that if it meant never getting depressed.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 4:56 pm

It's very interesting that there's a large majority of us (of those answered thus far) who don't really get sick all that often . . . I wonder if there have been any studies relating aspies (and HFAies) and "sturdy" immune systems.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 5:46 pm

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postxf58792-0-15.html
Thread in which I posted this comment:

"How often do I get sick ?
Well, depends on how one defines that.
Frequently feel nauseated but never throw up. Often have headaches, but they go away in a day or two.
Serious illness, though-I rarely get sick, thank goodness. No colds yet, this year/season.

Hardly ever leave the house, which means that I'm less exposed to other people's germs (since I live alone), but of course that also means my immune system has less opportunity to be strengthened by exposure to variety of germs.
As a kid, I got strep throat year after year-but that stopped happening once I was out of my teenage years.

May have all sorts of health problems-but since I can't stand being examined by dr. then I won't know this (about any invisible health dangers taking over my body) until I drop dead, I suppose. Can walk, talk, eat, breathe without much problem-therefore am "well" enough to not be considered physically "sick". Would guess that my immune system is doing surprisingly well, given that I don't eat nutritious food nor do I exercise.