Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

07 Apr 2008, 7:40 pm

I hate it when this happens, it's even worse when I don't have the facts to prove that person is wrong so I tell them to look it up and see for themselves.

Just this night about one and two in the morning, I was talking to one of my online friends and he shows me the footage of the San Fransisco earth quake which was the world series game. He told me Angels in the Outfield was filmed in Oakland and i told him it was filmed in Anaheim, it even said in the credits. He kept saying they filmed it in Oakland, so I go to IMDB and type in the movie and go to filming locations. I would have been screwed if they didn't have the filming locations listed. So I showed him the link and he looked at it and told me finally they filmed it in both stadiums.

We also had an another argument that they had to movie the movie to Oakland and I told him the movie was made in 1994 so no. Luckily IMDB had the filming dates for the movie so I showed him the link to it and the movie was filmed in 1993 from October to December. Then my friend told me someone else told him that.

I find it difficult to argue with another aspie so here I am always having to show them the facts if I can. With other people, they don't argue what I say about facts when I think I'm right.

My ex said this has to do with being literal and if you think you're right, you will argue, is this true?

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 7:43 pm

all depends really

Grey_Kameleon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Apr 2008, 8:25 pm

I've done that my entire life. But people have a right to be wrong. Just try to keep the facts to yourself, unless the person asks. I've learned that most people don't really appreciate being improved against their will.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 10:40 pm

Internet arguments are supposed to make us feel smarter? :huh:

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 10:47 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
I hate it when this happens, it's even worse when I don't have the facts to prove that person is wrong so I tell them to look it up and see for themselves.

Just this night about one and two in the morning, I was talking to one of my online friends and he shows me the footage of the San Fransisco earth quake which was the world series game. He told me Angels in the Outfield was filmed in Oakland and i told him it was filmed in Anaheim, it even said in the credits. He kept saying they filmed it in Oakland, so I go to IMDB and type in the movie and go to filming locations. I would have been screwed if they didn't have the filming locations listed. So I showed him the link and he looked at it and told me finally they filmed it in both stadiums.

We also had an another argument that they had to movie the movie to Oakland and I told him the movie was made in 1994 so no. Luckily IMDB had the filming dates for the movie so I showed him the link to it and the movie was filmed in 1993 from October to December. Then my friend told me someone else told him that.

I find it difficult to argue with another aspie so here I am always having to show them the facts if I can. With other people, they don't argue what I say about facts when I think I'm right.

My ex said this has to do with being literal and if you think you're right, you will argue, is this true?

The most problem I deal with people that argue are the one that doesn't show most of the proof or fact to back up their claim. Should I be the one wasting my time digging my source to disprove something that won't go any where? :huh:

Most of the time that I laid out facts, I win 25% or more of my argument.

I have to admit. My tough mother and her hot conversation has really increase my argueing skills and less likely to give in.

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 10:50 pm

Mudboy wrote:

Is this picture an argument or a bad breath contest?

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 10:54 pm

MysteryFan3 wrote:
Mudboy wrote:

Is this picture an argument or a bad breath contest?

There is good argument and bad argument, it the argument that not going any where that you want to avoid.

A fool can talk all their stuff and wise can be silent. The problem is that being silent isn't alway helpful when you have to take a stand. Why should the fool do most of the talking?

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 12:14 am

It's an ASD thingy. Clinical experience says it's more of an AS one.

In the words of Professor Attwood:

Quote:
The person usually has a strong desire to seek knowledge, truth and perfection with a different set of priorities than would be expected with other people.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 1:14 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:

I rooted against the angels in that movie when they played the white sox.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 9:33 am

Bopkasen wrote:
There is good argument and bad argument, it the argument that not going any where that you want to avoid.

A fool can talk all their stuff and wise can be silent. The problem is that being silent isn't alway helpful when you have to take a stand. Why should the fool do most of the talking?
I do think it is an AS thing to argue if you think you are correct. Information that is wrong is like an ink smudge on the page of facts that keeps me sane.

The trick is knowing when the argument goes bad. Then you have to decide if you are going to take a stand for the benefit of the audience. If you decide to continue, focus on your audence instead of getting emotionally involved with your adversary. Hopefully you will feel a little better.

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 11:58 am

Mudboy wrote:
Bopkasen wrote:

I do think it is an AS thing to argue if you think you are correct. Information that is wrong is like an ink smudge on the page of facts that keeps me sane.

The trick is knowing when the argument goes bad. Then you have to decide if you are going to take a stand for the benefit of the audience. If you decide to continue, focus on your audence instead of getting emotionally involved with your adversary. Hopefully you will feel a little better.

Yes I agree. As Spock would say in disagreement "It is not logical".

However, I am different because I try to deal with fact and tend to regret my lost and admission. But the more time I converse with people, the more I get smarter in debating matter.

What upset me if I knew that 5 + 5 = 10 but I getting disagreement that it is 11 instead of 10. We have a problem and more likely anything that doesn't go any where tend to get walk away.

I tried to be open minded. If I weren't open minded, I wouldn't be open to new knowledge.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 12:31 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:

They can film movies and TV shows in places that aren't really the place they say. On the TV show Dallas, the office scenes were filmed in Los Angeles, while Southfork was actually in Dallas.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Chimchar
Toucan
Toucan

08 Apr 2008, 12:56 pm

So you guys have this problem too? I don't know why, but I loved arguing with people to make myself feel smart. I don't want to do it. And it's hard to resist the urge to shut up.

And I also hated being wrong, because people look down on you as dumb.

IsThatAFact
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Apr 2008, 3:11 pm

[/quote]So you guys have this problem too? I don't know why, but I loved arguing with people to make myself feel smart. I don't want to do it. And it's hard to resist the urge to shut up[quote]

I argue for the facts or at least that the case being presented by others is not based on facts. too often; and it is frequently not appreciated! However it is very hard to let people make statements that are patently wrong, as that is how 'urban myths' start. I work in a place where the credos is fundamentally 'two assumptions make a fact" and rarely are the assumption based on facts!

Mostly I get in trouble because I have this bad habit of taken the opposite side of an argument just to point out that there is another side to an argument, and that rarely things are that simple.

I do not think I argue to make myself feel smart, I just have a major problem with people making illogical and factually wrong statements. And it really gets me started when statistics are misused!

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 4:00 pm

Chimchar wrote:
So you guys have this problem too? I don't know why, but I loved arguing with people to make myself feel smart. I don't want to do it. And it's hard to resist the urge to shut up.

And I also hated being wrong, because people look down on you as dumb.

I like making other people feel dumb.

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 4:50 pm

I love prooving that I'm right. :)

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.