Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

15 Apr 2008, 1:16 am

I went to the eye doctor because things are a little blurry in distance. The doctor was testing my eyes. She gave me a few frames that are shaped like small photo frames and asked me to tell her what circles are sticking out. Then she gave me the next frame with a 3D image (the magic eye) and asked me what picture do I see and I said "Butterfly" and she said I had good depth perception. I asked her what it was and she said it's when you know how far away something is like how far away the car is from you, how far away you need to make a turn, how far away the curb is when you are walking.

But here is this with me, I tend to think things are closer or farther away like the time with my ex when he be delivering newspapers, he drove so close up to the mailbox, I think he he was going to hit it but he didn't. Sometimes he do it on purpose just to see if I think he was going to hit it or not.
When I first got my driver's license, kids kept telling me how I almost hit them or their cars blah blah so that was the first time I realized I probably have troubles judging distance.
If I have good depth perception, then why do I have this problem? Is it something else?

Catalyst
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Apr 2008, 4:20 am

My guess? Your eyes are working great, but your brain doesn't process the data. I have great ears, but I always have to ask people to repeat things.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 7:13 am

depth perception on moving objects is a bit different than for still ones. least imo.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 7:27 am

Seconding what Sedaka said. Perception of stilled objects as opposed to moving objects are two slightly different processes.

You can be great in one but quite bad in the other.

Usually, both abilities are on about the same level and at least average. So it's quite true for many people that if they can do either A (or B), they most likely will have no trouble with B (or A) as well.

15 Apr 2008, 3:52 pm

Okay, thanks guys.

katrine
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 3:55 pm

How are you at ball catching? Personally, I suck :lol:

Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 4:37 pm

I've found the same issue. Like, I can't catch anything thrown at me and I always bump into people. :/

My brain and eyesight don't like to work togheter.

15 Apr 2008, 5:48 pm

katrine wrote:
How are you at ball catching? Personally, I suck :lol:

I'm great at it except for when the sun shines in my face so I must face my back to it but I suck with catching balls out in the field. But somehow I managed to catch balls in fifth grade when they be hit out to me during a game. I don't even remember. Maybe I happened to be in the right spot when the ball came to me so I caught it.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

15 Apr 2008, 5:51 pm

I think Catalyst got it right, your eyes are good but your mind doesn't always process the input properly.

15 Apr 2008, 5:59 pm

I was a lot worse as a kid. I tripped over my own feet, bumped into objects, bumped into walls etc. but my mother had me do OT and that helped.

I couldn't even catch a ball when I was little and I had poor eye coordination.