Is there Anyone in Tennessee (USA) with Asperger's or NLD?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

MusicMaker1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Feb 2008, 2:04 pm

Is there anyone in Tennessee (USA) that has been diagnosed with Asperger's or NLD? I've never met anyone else (other than a couple of people out of town) that has been diagnosed and would like to email anyone that might be in my area. I'm in Middle Tennessee. I got a diagnosis of NLD and I also have ADD... I was told by another psychologist that I would have been diagnosed with mild Asperger's at their clinic because NLD isn't in the DSM yet.. NLD is on the autistic spectrum, however. A diagnosis of PDD-NOS that is in the high-functioning range might be similar as well...

I wonder if I might be able to get along better with someone else on the spectrum at a similar level as myself. I've only met a couple of adults with Asperger's briefly, but they were in another city and I didn't really get to know them..

If you're in the Middle Tennessee area, feel free to message me here on WP. Thanks

~L

MusicMaker1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2008, 12:22 am

Maybe I should have also asked if Anyone is in North Carolina or Kentucky? Kentucky is only an hour away and NC isn't that far either.. thanks.

~L

nicky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2008, 7:12 pm

i don't have an official diagnosis, but i know i have AS. i live in Tennessee... near Chattanooga. :D

kattoo13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2008, 7:42 pm

MusicMaker1 wrote:
Is there anyone in Tennessee (USA) that has been diagnosed with Asperger's or NLD? I've never met anyone else (other than a couple of people out of town) that has been diagnosed and would like to email anyone that might be in my area. I'm in Middle Tennessee. I got a diagnosis of NLD and I also have ADD... I was told by another psychologist that I would have been diagnosed with mild Asperger's at their clinic because NLD isn't in the DSM yet.. NLD is on the autistic spectrum, however. A diagnosis of PDD-NOS that is in the high-functioning range might be similar as well...

I wonder if I might be able to get along better with someone else on the spectrum at a similar level as myself. I've only met a couple of adults with Asperger's briefly, but they were in another city and I didn't really get to know them..

If you're in the Middle Tennessee area, feel free to message me here on WP. Thanks

~L

hello. my son was originally diagnosed with NLD and ADHD as well. this was a year ago. on tuesday, he was re-diagnosed with aspergers. it's true that nld isn't in the dsm, but it's not an ASD. they do have an overwhelming amount of similarities...pdd-nos is a asd, though. anyhoo, welcome.

MusicMaker1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2008, 10:56 pm

Thank you : ) Some professionals have said that NLD is an autistic spectrum disorder.. some have said, because it isn't in the DSM, that it can't be called that? It is really similar though in alot of ways.. I was advised by the Psychologists to try and find Asperger's support groups to attend. Another psychologist said they diagnosed with mild Asperger's because NLD isn't in the DSM, therefore they don't even give it out as a diagnosis... I'm looking forward to when NLD will be in the next DSM (not sure when it comes out, but pretty soon) and then maybe it will say if it's on the spectrum.. Alot of people have told me that it is though... but barely... there still are alot of similarities though, especially the social problems (which are the worst part of the disorder for me). Thanks again.

kattoo13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2008, 7:56 am

MusicMaker1 wrote:
Thank you : ) Some professionals have said that NLD is an autistic spectrum disorder.. some have said, because it isn't in the DSM, that it can't be called that? It is really similar though in alot of ways.. I was advised by the Psychologists to try and find Asperger's support groups to attend. Another psychologist said they diagnosed with mild Asperger's because NLD isn't in the DSM, therefore they don't even give it out as a diagnosis... I'm looking forward to when NLD will be in the next DSM (not sure when it comes out, but pretty soon) and then maybe it will say if it's on the spectrum.. Alot of people have told me that it is though... but barely... there still are alot of similarities though, especially the social problems (which are the worst part of the disorder for me). Thanks again.

well i had read that when nld does come out in the dsm, it's going to be listed as a learning disability hence the name..nonverbal learning disability. now if you were to be diagnosed again, you may fall under either pdd-nos (pervasive developmental disorder not-otherwise specified) meaning you meet some of the criteria of an asd but not enough to get an aspergers diagnosis, or just a diagnosis of aspergers.

you are correct about another thing, too. when my son was "diagnosed" with nld, his doctors had to say "symptoms consistent with nld", because it isn't in the manual. although they eventually wrote an adendum to the original "diagnosis" for his school saying it in fact was a diagnosis, since they weren't taking it seriously.

my son has a lot of social problems, too. he is going to eb starting a social skills group. i knew in my gut though he had aspergers and was thrilled to get that affirmation. reason i knew is because he was doing some things just not consistent with nld..such as obsessing over topics of interests. this started when he was 5. he'd spend about 4 months on each topic, researching everything he could. asking me the same questions over and over and often interupting "conversation" just to talk about his interests. he is also very rigid and needs a routine. at home i have a routine all laid out for him, from the time i get home, to the time he goes to bed. he also holds attachments to odd things. the latest is his subway sandwich wrapper which he won't throw away because he says he likes the way it sounds and loves subway. he also has sensory overload where he's cried at the smell of potato chips among other things.

if you need more help, you can forward me your private email addy. i have about 5 pages of documentation in re my son's behavior paterns. the docs at the autism place used a lot of this when diagnosing him with aspergers. this was also used in conjunction with the ADI and ADOS tests they gave. good luck.

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 6:55 am

Aspie living in Columbia, TN standing up to be counted.

Grey_Kameleon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Mar 2008, 11:46 am

nicky wrote:
i don't have an official diagnosis, but i know i have AS. i live in Tennessee... near Chattanooga. :D

Same here. In Chattanooga.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 11:50 am

I have NLD, but I live in Indiana.