iReport: 'Naughty Auties' battle autism with virtual inte...

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 9:27 am

iReport: 'Naughty Auties' battle autism with virtual interaction (CNN)

(CNN) -- Walk into Naughty Auties, a virtual resource center for those with autism, and you'll find palm trees swaying against a striking ocean sunset. Were it not for the pixelated graphics on the computer screen in front of you, you would swear you were looking at a tropical hideaway.

David Savill, 22, lives in Gloucester, England, in real life and created this spot within the virtual world of Second Life. Residents of this digital realm can represent themselves with 3-D images called avatars and connect with each other over the Internet. Savill said he wanted Naughty Auties to serve those with autism spectrum disorders and their friends and family.

Savill, who represents himself in the virtual world using an avatar named Dave Sparrow, said one benefit is that visitors can practice social interaction and find information about the condition. The graphical representations of real people create a "comfort zone" that can coax users out of their shells and get them communicating with others, he said.

more...

- Emerson

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 9:36 am

MrMark wrote:

(CNN) -- Walk into Naughty Auties, a virtual resource center for those with autism, and you'll find palm trees swaying against a striking ocean sunset. Were it not for the pixelated graphics on the computer screen in front of you, you would swear you were looking at a tropical hideaway.

David Savill, 22, lives in Gloucester, England, in real life and created this spot within the virtual world of Second Life. Residents of this digital realm can represent themselves with 3-D images called avatars and connect with each other over the Internet. Savill said he wanted Naughty Auties to serve those with autism spectrum disorders and their friends and family.

Savill, who represents himself in the virtual world using an avatar named Dave Sparrow, said one benefit is that visitors can practice social interaction and find information about the condition. The graphical representations of real people create a "comfort zone" that can coax users out of their shells and get them communicating with others, he said.

more...

I am not very thrill about Second Life. It is nice that autism world have land but they are often empty.

In one land space, there were that one person who a "moderator" and he doesn't have people skill at all. I was asking question not to annoy people and I get banned from an land for doing it. I told the leaders but it is obvious that they were too busy.

So.... when I saw that one land being feutured on the news, I know that the chance are they getting publicity when they are often empty.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 9:40 am

Good moderators are hard to find among the autistic population. I've certainly made my share of mistakes.

- Emerson

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 10:02 am

MrMark wrote:
Good moderators are hard to find among the autistic population. I've certainly made my share of mistakes.

Inspite of the emptiness, I am thinking about opening up a land on Second Life maybe an island.

Island cost about $2,000 up front plus $300 a month in Second Life.

Island is better than land since you have less lag and more independent but overall Second Life have a bad case of slowness.

The slowness is cause by massive data being downloaded when you are flying around. For example, if your item or graphic that you put on Second Life were a 10MB hunk, you basically have to wait or stop to wait for it to be finish. It would be lot easier to put like 5MB or less type graphic. They call number of graphic "prim". The less and simple prim are better than heavy and horde.

I know an Aspie who VERY good with Second Life. You can search him on YouTube. IF anybody interested, it is .... I have to find it. It some where.

ooohprettycolors
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Mar 2008, 10:23 am

David Seville? Doesn't he have some chipmonk friends?

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2008, 12:55 am

MrMark wrote:

more...

FYI! Gareth from AFF is not please with what they are doing and have reported harassment, banning and mockery instead of supporting autism.

Maybe lack of moderators or this whole thing was to mock autism.

For more information, please contact Gareth Elison on SL for more informatin.