Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 10:35 am

I must say my eye contact consists of either, no eye contact at all, or I stare lol. I've had many nts literally give me no eye contact because I just stare at them haha. My boyfriend pointed this out yesterday that my eye contact can either consist of me forcing it(which is when I stare haha), or me just looking at the ground. How is everybody elses eye contact, do you avoid eye contact, do you stare, do you actually make eye contact?

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 10:37 am

Age1600 wrote:
I must say my eye contact consists of either, no eye contact at all, or I stare lol. I've had many nts literally give me no eye contact because I just stare at them haha. My boyfriend pointed this out yesterday that my eye contact can either consist of me forcing it(which is when I stare haha), or me just looking at the ground. How is everybody elses eye contact, do you avoid eye contact, do you stare, do you actually make eye contact?

Time for an eye exam. :lol:

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 10:38 am

Age1600 wrote:
I must say my eye contact consists of either, no eye contact at all, or I stare lol. I've had many nts literally give me no eye contact because I just stare at them haha.

Happens to me as well. All the time.

silentchaos
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Mar 2008, 10:44 am

If i try to make eye contact i end up looking at them for a second or two then something else. It just makes it worse so i don't even try anymore.

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 10:47 am

Eye contact can be stressful, I mess mine up, so I am being kind to myself and not trying to fake it any more.

I agree it can turn into staring and sometimes it turns into making remarks about someone's face :oops:

Ooops.

DevonB
Toucan
Toucan

28 Mar 2008, 10:47 am

I learned a long time ago to force myself to look at people. But it's really hard and tiring. Thing is, I'm never sure if I'm looking at them too long, or long enough. So I'll glance at them and make sure they recognize that I'm making eye contact, and then I look away in relief. Then sometimes I wonder distractedly how long it'll be before I have to look at them again...lol...

Sometimes I find I just can't look at people. No matter how hard I try, my eyes just slide over their face...I can't make them stick.

Other times...well, I'm told I stare. I'm really intense...and my partner will poke me, or take my hand to remind me of what I'm doing. It's embarassing because I don't know that I'm doing it...and I don't recognize that it's bothering the other person. I"m in deep observation mode.

I still have to remind myself to try and cover, you know, behave like an NT.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 10:48 am

I don't have a problem with eye contact. I don't think I really ever have.

Scorpio82
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Mar 2008, 10:54 am

All my life, people have been telling me to look at them when I speak, so I've eventually made a habit of it. Unfortunately, now I stare at them too much. It creeps people out.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 10:56 am

Depends on the context.

Listening: away to the side (I can look at my mother when she talks, but that's it)
Talking: away to the side and at the ground; I used to stare above people, the lights above them especially (I still do it now and again)
Distance: I'll stare everyone down if I feel like it

I'll tell you what I find extremely rude, people who hold your chin and try to force your head up when they stand in front of you to make eye contact; an auntie did such to me the other month. Naturally, she couldn't move my head.

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 10:56 am

DevonB wrote:

Sometimes I find I just can't look at people. No matter how hard I try, my eyes just slide over their face...I can't make them stick.

Yes, I am the same, some days I force myself to look but then cannot sustain it at all and as you say, I slide. I find that funny because it sounds funny and its so true :D

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 11:14 am

Danielismyname wrote:

I'll tell you what I find extremely rude, people who hold your chin and try to force your head up when they stand in front of you to make eye contact; an auntie did such to me the other month. Naturally, she couldn't move my head.

Omgosh yes! I never gave any eye contact growing up, looked either at the ground, the ceiling, the other way...anything, after my brother got killed in a car accident when I was just about to turn 15, all his friends did exactly what your auntie did. Grab my chin forced me into eye contact, said its wrong not to give eye contact, and since I was only 60lbs yes 60lbs haha, they treated me like I was 5, and told how wrong it was :roll: . So basically I was forced into eye contact from the ages of almost 15 to the age of 17 :( . So now if I do look, I just stare like I'm looking through the person.

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 11:21 am

Age1600 wrote:
I was forced into eye contact from the ages of almost 15 to the age of 17 :( . So now if I do look, I just stare like I'm looking through the person.

That makes me cringe so I can understand the staring through someone.

batista90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 11:27 am

Age1600 wrote:
Danielismyname wrote:

Omgosh yes! I never gave any eye contact growing up, looked either at the ground, the ceiling, the other way...anything, after my brother got killed in a car accident when I was just about to turn 15, all his friends did exactly what your auntie did. Grab my chin forced me into eye contact, said its wrong not to give eye contact, and since I was only 60lbs yes 60lbs haha, they treated me like I was 5, and told how wrong it was :roll: . So basically I was forced into eye contact from the ages of almost 15 to the age of 17 :( . So now if I do look, I just stare like I'm looking through the person.
:( thats so sad what happened......i never havent been broblems whith eye contact 8O

..dead..what u know about dead?
feel free to talk:)

straples-> http://www.alinssite.info/

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 11:42 am

I have to remember to look people in the eyes, I forget sometimes. When I do maintain eye contact, I only do so for a few seconds at a time to keep from staring. Sometimes though I don't even look them in the eye, I look at their teeth, nose, or forehead. And sometimes I only look at one of their eyes instead of both.

victorvndoom
Toucan
Toucan

28 Mar 2008, 11:53 am

better then the average autist

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 11:53 am

I had no eye-contact whatsoever until I was diagnosed and read up on how there exists eye-contact. Why it's important and so on.

I tried and tried and now I have some eye-contact. At first I couldn't keep track of my own thoughts or continue speaking when trying eye-contact. I had to find a good strategy, find out what causes me trouble. I now look - but don't see. Or see but don't look? Something like that. Nobody notices.

By now I think it's quite good, for having no eye-contact before. Maybe slightly below-average? Everyone's reacting to it already, people are way more friendly. Actually listen to what I say. The reaction of others has changed immensely. Now I often find that I forget to look someone in the eyes. It still happens frequently that I go without eye-contact entirely because I can't remember to do it!

Still, eyes are very ugly. It's a nightmare to look into them. Most are ugly to me that is. I know... one person with the most amazing eyes and some more with tolerable, but not beautiful eyes. The majority of people, friendly and nice or rude and bullying just have ugly eyes. When I look into them, I finally identified that I feel absolutely disgusted. I can't choose whose eyes I find tolerable.