smiley faces make me sad...and I don't know why...

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Sirmadness
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Mar 2008, 6:37 pm

I'm wondering if it's just me or if there are others out there...but whenever I see the traditional sort of "happy face" meaning any emoticon without a nose...

I cannot explain why or how, but this sadness wells up inside me that I cannot shake and I feel utter lonliness...I even dread using yahoo messenger because of it.

I would never admit this in a billion years to the public at large...but I once cried when I saw an Ikea manual and the little guy had a sad/puzzled look on his face because he couldn't figure out the manual. It only ever seems to be these...washed out expressions...because human faces...when a PERSON smiles at me, I always feel good...and if they look unhappy to me, it inspires me to try to cheer them up...but emoticons just...

...it makes me feel like dementors are near...that's the only way I can explain it...somebody tell me I'm not the only one, because this sure makes me feel stupid...and you can't even explain it to somebody...who the hell would believe me in the NT world? It's like..."no...you don't understand...I don't just get a little sad...I CRY! I SOB!"

anyone else?

sinagua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Mar 2008, 6:47 pm

I wish I could help you but all I could think about when I read this is a character in the wonderful (imo) novel "Pattern Recognition" by William Gibson who is apparently Aspie or somewhat autistic and is irrationally but absolutely, morbidly terrified of "Bibendum," the "Michelin Tire Man."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelin

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 7:01 pm

Smiles on people make me sad in pictures usually if I focus on them too much.

jayssite
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Mar 2008, 10:48 pm

Must ... resist ... temptation ... to reply with emoticon ...

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 11:15 pm

A lot of happy, nice things made me sad because I thought they would be destoryed or hurt or wouldn't last. I think I was clinically depressed off and on all my life and didn't know it.

cas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Mar 2008, 1:22 am

Not normal happy smileys, but sad or puzzled or hopeful ones would make me extremely sympathetic(?) or prematurely and vicariously bad: the kind of feeling that comes up when someone has put a great deal of effort into something that no one else would want and is trying to get someone to buy it, or when they're trying to explain/learn something personal to/from an uninviting group and I can't speak up even if I understand. It feels like I know that things are about to turn out badly for them emotionally but there's nothing I can do about it to alleviate their loss, so I feel helpless at the same time. No doubt I feel much worse about it than the person who used the emoticon would.

These are definitely rogue emotions, without rational basis even as emotions go.

Roseduelist
Raven
Raven

20 Mar 2008, 12:34 pm

Maybe it is because all of the emotions are not real in the emoticons. All the smiles are plastered in there like it is forced, and maybe you get sad because you know they aren't real, and never will be.

MusicMaker1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Mar 2008, 3:40 pm

edit

merrymadscientist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 3:49 pm

I love smileys, I like them better than normal faces. I think because they are completely circular (and I love round things). I feel very protective towards them almost.

Sirmadness
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Mar 2008, 10:30 pm

Roseduelist wrote:
Maybe it is because all of the emotions are not real in the emoticons. All the smiles are plastered in there like it is forced, and maybe you get sad because you know they aren't real, and never will be.

I think that one hit it on the head, actually. It isn't the emoticons that are used on message boards, so much as the solitary ones where there aren't any people attatched to it...something about a lone happy face...

...but as Merrymadscientist pointed out, somehow the fact that there is another who gets joy out of the very thing that I find (irrationally) saddening...makes it...

...not so terrible..y'know? Sometimes we get so wrapped up in our own heads we forget that we're not the only souls with emotions....and reactions...and feelings...

maybe I can learn to appreciate them...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 10:47 pm

The traditional happy face used to make me feel sad, because I was coming to the realization, that I wasn't hippie material, whenever I saw one. That lasted from 1995, until 2006. Today, a happy face is just a happy face, to me. Sometimes it makes me happy. I like some smilies, better than others. :O)

batista90
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 12:42 pm

i use smileys coz i have "plain face" i dont know how to show most of emotions so i dont bother u also react to these ? XD :DDD :)

..dead..what u know about dead?
feel free to talk:)

straples-> http://www.alinssite.info/