Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Zeno
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 9:00 am

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/conditio ... index.html

Dedicated to all the people on this board who love bitching about how bad their lives are.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 9:09 am

This is a support site and not everyone b*****s about their lives. The Haven is used for that. If they do, than that's their given right, life can be hard on its own terms no matter what. I don't know exactly where you're from, but not everyone in the west lives peachy lives either.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 9:14 am

God help you if you're an autistic living under Chinese Communist rule. :help:

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 9:40 am

Scratch that. Never mind

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 9:52 am

Zeno wrote:
Dedicated to all the people on this board who love bitching about how bad their lives are.

What's so bad about their plight in the story?

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 10:00 am

What I was going to say was.. that is so nice that Autistic people is getting help BUT when the reader thinking.... OH chinese government helping? That is not what Chinese have ever done for the disabled people.

All it is a non-profit organization's attention steal by the communist. I mean... if you going to submit something.. the communist government have to have "their" slice of a pie in media.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 10:12 am

I live in Wichita, Kansas, and I can't even afford to send my profoundly autistic son to Heartsprings for therapy. The article makes it sound as if it's a free government program, and it's not. It costs thousands of dollars every year to get that sort of treatment. Which, honestly, I don't believe that it's solely the government's responsibility to provide top of the line therapy for my child, just because I can't afford it, BUT the article shouldn't make it sound like those that live here automatically get that sort of thing here in America, when we don't.

Zeno
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 6:43 pm

At least there is support and help. There is nothing like that in much of the developing world. Children with autism are often abandoned by their parents and you can imagine what kind of short and miserable lives they end up leading.

There is nothing wrong with supporting others in times of crisis, but some people are in crisis mode all the time. As an Aspie, don't people get to a point where they figure out that the good and bad days come and go in some preordained cycle? Do they ever come to accept what this condition imposes on them and hence configure their lives so that they adapt to it instead of forcing it to adapt to their socially trained impulses?