I have to sit in an airplane tomorrow

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

fabshelly
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Feb 2008, 2:41 am

...for five plus hours, from here to the Mainland. I'll be on a train after that, I love trains.

But how do I cope with the endless hell that is a plane flight? It will seem like twelve hours of tortuous hell for me, if it's like most of my other flights. (Exception: Korean Air. Plenty of room, and they treat coach pax like other airlines treat first class ones).

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 3:37 am

Perhaps a few alcoholic beverages might help?

Those who know, don't speak.

googlewhack
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Feb 2008, 4:01 am

Listen to music or watch a film if they're showing one.

Shayne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Feb 2008, 4:26 am

when im on a plane the 1st thing i do metally is prepare to die

if im with someone else my main focus then is just to try to keep them calm

hmm you didnt really say why you dislike being on a plane.. makes it hard to fous on what would be appropriate help for you.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 5:09 am

Be quick enough to get a seat at a window and look down. That's what I did so far...

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

tmad40blue
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2008, 6:48 am

Get some of those noise-canceling headphones. Those are the trick for me. Even if you don't have an iPod or something to listen to through them, the quietness they create is enough to be in peace.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 7:00 am

I try to stay in the AISLE. ALSO, move the seat back if the guy in front of you does. The most leg room, outside of first and business class, is in the exit row. The seats in the exit row don't recline.

batista90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 7:35 am

most hardest part for me is staying still :P so get a lot of doing..musick what u like is best...i usually keep children of bodom in my pocket phone in case i need to stay still long time :)

..dead..what u know about dead?
feel free to talk:)

straples-> http://www.alinssite.info/

wolphin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Feb 2008, 7:37 am

I always preferred aisle or window, that way, there's only one person next to you. You can always try requesting either aisle or window when you check in, and sometimes they give it to you.

Drink a lot. The dry, low-pressure air is hell on your system and it's easy to get dehydrated, making everything that's already uncomfortable worse. You can avoid multiple trips to the airplance bathroom by staying away from tea, coffee, and caffeinated sodas (all of which make you want to "go" more often :) ) Alcohol may help for other reasons, but it doesn't count as "drinking" in terms of preventing dehydration and in fact makes it worse.

The "beverage cart" may pass by only once or twice, but don't be afraid to flag down the attendant and ask for more to drink at any time (except during takeoff, landing, or turbulence, etc)

Good headphones are a must. However, even the greatest pair of headphones will have great difficulty covering up the noise.

The most stressful time of a flight (for me, at least) is immediately after takeoff until you stop climbing. After that I'm pretty cool.

Hard candy or something to suck or chew on for a long time is a must as well. It'll help pass the time and also help keep your ears open.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 8:39 am

Bring some books? Being stuck on a plane with nothing to read for hours on end isn't the most fun way to pass the time.

Adrie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Feb 2008, 8:45 am

Oh story of my life...Definitely bring music, and a GOOD book - preferrably something easy to read, because it will be hard to concentrate. Oh, and play games by looking at the people around you (not staring rudely, though! LOL) and guessing where they're from, making up stories about them, or playing games like pretending everyone just escaped from prison or an insane asylum (it makes everything they do seem funny, out of context - stupid idea but I like it, haha).

Or just focus on where you're going and try to get excited about it. And you can at least look forward to being on a train. :) Good luck!

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 9:24 am

Every time I've flown, I've always gotten a window seat. That way I can keep myself preoccupied.

ps1r3n
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Feb 2008, 12:04 pm

I always try to get an aisle seat so I can get up and move about when I need to. I must look like I have a really weak bladder to others but most of my toilet visits are to chill out, stretch, get away from people etc. If I could spend the entire flight in the toilet, I would :)

RampionRampage
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 12:04 pm

music, a book of fiction or non, and a puzzle book of your favored variety.

CityAsylum
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 12:15 pm

Does anyone else have severe reactions to the strong fragrances/cologne/perfume worn by fellow travelers?

I have not been able to fly for years because of this problem. :cry:

ClosetAspy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2008, 6:25 pm

Think of it as a train with wings. That might help.

I used to avoid flying because I was afraid I would have a meltdown at 30,000 feet, because I am afraid of heights. But once I broke down and started flying I found I loved it. It helps to have a sense of humor and to treat it like an adventure. Actually most of my flights have been rather routine by most standards except for the time I got on the wrong plane. (Stay out of airport bars if you have a long layover). Be flexible.