Page 2 of 7 [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

quirky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Apr 2008, 12:10 pm

I definitely do it when barefoot - it feels weird otherwise. I also pace a lot.

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 12:27 pm

What do people mean when they say "tip-toes"? It always makes me think of those cartoons where people are way up on their toes with their heels high in the air.

When I walk barefoot or in sock feet I put the weight on the balls of my feet, but that's so I don't thump around like an elephant and disturb the neighbours. I'm in an ongoing dispute with my landlord trying to get the people overhead to be equally considerate since they frequently disturb me by thumping around like an elephant.

I'd walk that way in shoes and boots, too, but it's physically impossible because of how stiff the heels are, so I go without footwear indoors.

I've never walked that way indoors for sensory reasons, but of course when you're walking barefoot on rocks outdoors (as I often did summers) you need to be careful, so I often walked on the balls of my feet then.

rifler39
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Apr 2008, 12:36 pm

I had and have trouble with walking flat footed. High arches and club toes did not help in this. Then i discovered cowboy boots and logger's boots with the 1 1/2 to 2 inch heels. That takes care of that.

Pops

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 9:15 am

skeeterhawk wrote:
I also know that I curl me feet under sideways when I am in a chair, especially at a desk or table. The outer rim of my feet is against the floor and the sole point more up than down. I also often stim by rubbing the outer rim of my feet against smooth surfaces.

I'd love to know if others do any of this.

I sit like this sometimes, usually if I'm on a lower chair, I think. I don't stim though. When I had stitches in my leg, I found that sitting with my feet like this was more comfortable than putting the sole down flat and when I was sitting at the side of the gym (having been excused from PE due to the stitches), someone came up to me and told me I was making it up and that I couldn't possibly sit like that if my leg really hurt that much. Not particularly logical!

If I'm walking down the meat isle in the supermarket, sometimes my feet feel funny and I have to walk on the outer edges of my feet while leaning on the trolley.

Dodgy circuitry! Diagnosed: Tourette syndrome. Suspected: auditory processing disorder, synaesthesia. Also: social and organisation problems. Heteroromantic asexual (though still exploring)

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 9:18 am

Anemone wrote:
What do people mean when they say "tip-toes"? It always makes me think of those cartoons where people are way up on their toes with their heels high in the air.

The phrase is a bit misleading, like head-over-heals when you're head is generally over your heals anyway.

It means on the balls of one's feet like this:

Not like this:

Dodgy circuitry! Diagnosed: Tourette syndrome. Suspected: auditory processing disorder, synaesthesia. Also: social and organisation problems. Heteroromantic asexual (though still exploring)

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 9:40 am

Yup, I do it...

EvilOlive
Raven
Raven

11 Apr 2008, 10:15 am

If you walk on your toes long enough, it affects the way that your feet and legs develop in interesting ways.

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 12:07 pm

Greyhound wrote:
Anemone wrote:

This is how I see it when I hear the phrase, but when I walk on the balls of my feet I generally have my heels no more than an inch off the floor - feet flat but heels slightly off floor, rather than feet arched uncomfortably. Like how dancers walk on stage (that's how I was taught). It looks like flat-footed walking, but it's quieter.

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 2:30 pm

Anemone wrote:
Greyhound wrote:
Anemone wrote:

This is how I see it when I hear the phrase, but when I walk on the balls of my feet I generally have my heels no more than an inch off the floor - feet flat but heels slightly off floor, rather than feet arched uncomfortably. Like how dancers walk on stage (that's how I was taught). It looks like flat-footed walking, but it's quieter.

Oh, I see.

nomadic28
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Apr 2008, 3:10 pm

I've always had a strange (so I've been told) walk, but never on my toes (that I'm aware of, anyhow).

craola
Toucan
Toucan

11 Apr 2008, 4:03 pm

I walk sometimes on my toes, sometimes I think the same as Sora if I understood the description properly ( I walk on the outsides of my feet, sort of balancing?)
My main issue or the one my family always picked up on is walking as my dad calls it like a duck with my feet splayed out, I used to walk with my feet at almost quarter to three but from having my feet whacked with sticks im now at ten to two (From this _ _ to this \ / sort of thing) they gave up then.
I always prefer to wear bare feet and I used to shed my shoes and socks in weird places, I can't wear many types of shoes anyway.

MomofTom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 7:50 pm

I did toe walk but when I was younger but it was more out of wanting to pretend like I was wearing high heels....if that makes any sense. It was when I walked barefoot that this happened.

Tetraquartz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Apr 2008, 3:01 pm

Yes. Sans shoes, I walk on the balls of my feet, 'T-rex style', I call it.

Jennyfoo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Apr 2008, 3:22 pm

yes, but only when barefoot which isn't often cuz I have problems with my feet and HAVE to have support all the time.

My AS daughter also toe walks and has since she began walking at 7 months old.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Apr 2008, 3:38 pm

I'm not a tiptoer. However, I do have an odd gait. I tend to walk with my weight toward the inside of my feet. My shoes are always worn out on the inside edges. My son was a toe walker, though. He ran around the house with his cape on and in his tshirt and underwear all on his tiptoes.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 3:50 pm

I walked on my tiptoes all the time and I still do time to time.