Page 3 of 7 [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

DorothyParker
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Apr 2008, 3:58 pm

Since I started to walk I have toe-walked. When I was about five I got casts on both my legs to help. Afterwards, I had to these plastic things (daffos?) on my feet at night and sometimes during the day. My feet are incredibly flat. I've been to PT and OT because of the toe-walking and balance issues (cannot ride a bike).

ccflowergirl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 5:04 pm

When I was a little girl I lived on a street in northern calf call Ave Del Ora, I walked on my toes, and the best ting about sunny calf for you didn't have to wear shoes, I don't know if at some point early on some one told me that I looked like a ballerina because of the way i walked but that was my first remembered obsession- to be a ballerina. every thing with me was ballerina , I didn’t smile or talk because ballerina dancers wouldn’t, I wanted to be thin like a dancer so I didn’t eat, I thought that the trees looked like ballerinas with there arms/hand/branches swaging about there heads fingers/leaves twinkling (like I did) the grass and flowers were dancing too. So I would tip toe up and down the block with by arms wavering and swaging, twinkling. The warm calf paithment burning the desire to arch my feet higher. The sounds of the 60's blaring from the neighbors am radios, a popular song by the cow sills would play often, “the rain, the park, and other things” most people know is as the flowergirl song. I would tie weeping willow vine/branches around my waist and head like a tutu and hallo thinking I looked like a prima ballerina and the neighbors on Ave Del Ora would say look there goes the flowergirl and sing to me we love the flowergirl. Infuriated I would hold my hand up higher and tip toe faster thinking if a tried harder that evenchally I would be seen for my true self a ballerina, a prima ballerina, dressed in green leaves, as thing go, little girls grow up and dreams and obsessions change and I don’t tip toe much any more, in time I learned to follow a different direction an obsession my true destiny –to be a flowergirl I surround my self with the green growing things in nature like flowers and leaves in my small flower shop and I lesson to the sounds of the 60’s and 70’6 often, and I still like to twinkle my leave(fingers) and walk in me bare feet.

AlteredEgo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Apr 2008, 3:17 am

My father (whom I suspect also had Aspergers) almost always walked on his tippy toes.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 1:05 pm

craola wrote:
(From this _ _ to this \ / sort of thing)

Love the idea of using symbols!

I always walk(ed) like this:

\ /

Anyone walking like this try ballet!

It's perfect for ballet. Others need to train for the same effect!

And about the outer brink/balancing thing, well, it's like this:

I walk only on the coloured area... if that were a 3-D foot. You folks get the idea.

Anyway, I never tow-walked because I'd always just... fall. Toe-walking just didn't go right with my statue somehow. I could hardly do it, it was horribly uncomfortable.

Edit:
Liverbird wrote:
I'm not a tiptoer. However, I do have an odd gait. I tend to walk with my weight toward the inside of my feet. My shoes are always worn out on the inside edges.

That is a good way to stand. On the insides I mean. If you dance or do sports that require balance and a non-damaging posture!

Tetraquartz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Apr 2008, 9:26 pm

Oh yes, I walk with my feet out like \ / as well. I tried to straighten my feet to point toes more forward over time, but I still just walk the same way. *shrug*

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 1:27 am

Mine is an actual birth defect - my achilles tendons are actually shorter than the average size. This means it can get very difficult to walk on my heels when not wearing shoes. When I was younger, it was impossible.

klikmaus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Apr 2011, 11:13 pm

I catch myself tippie toe walking quite a bit. When barefoot it's more pronounced, with shoes I tend to lift up just enough to keep the heel of my foot from hitting the ground. I do have an issue about the coordination/balance thing too-- I used to skateboard and dirt jump BMX quite a bit when I was younger. Probably still would had I net been plowed over by a car in 2007 and received a case of sciatica from the ordeal. Funny thing though-- after the accident I rode the very bike I was hit on to my physical therapy sessions (after many hours of re bending the frame and crank, and re truing the rims). When playing guitar I HAVE noticed that I just can't get rapid finger combinations like I would like to. I KNOW the parts and can play them at a slower rhythm, but up to speed... SLOPPY. Could this be a dexterity issue?

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 5:20 pm

I actually started looking at toewalking after a search to see why the BACK of my heel is so sore, and finding toewalking is one possibility. I never really payed much attention to how I walk, but I recall when I was in elementary school, the doctor did have me walk across the room and back, he watched how I walked, and told me I needed to stretch the muscles in the back of my calf more. I also looked at a few pairs of shoes/boots that I have worn for a while, and, especially with the boots, the sole under the ball of my foot is what's worn (the boots, it's almost worn out) while the heel is practically new

klikmaus wrote:
When playing guitar I HAVE noticed that I just can't get rapid finger combinations like I would like to. I KNOW the parts and can play them at a slower rhythm, but up to speed... SLOPPY. Could this be a dexterity issue?

I dunno, but I'm having basically the same thing happen with my piping, both with D Throws and with Taorluaths. I just can't seem to speed them up and keep them clean. Weird thing is, I can type about 65-70WPM without a problem on a decent keyboard.

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 5:48 pm

I always walk toe-first when barefoot. I'm flat footed anyway, but toe-first is stealth walking. I get overly self conscious about waking people ... which I've been able to trace back to my older brother beating me when I woke him in the morning. I became stealthy as self defense.

Anyway, when I run barefoot, it's all tiptoes. It's fun and feels good. Like you're floating.

reddreadred
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Oct 2011, 6:01 pm

I, like Sora, walk on the outsides of my feet. Starting on the the outside of the heel, so that I do not bob at all when I walk. It definitely suits a sensory purpose, if only for the sake of my eyes. A book could be balanced on my head at all times, so that walking for me is like a panning video camera... No up and down. Smooth.

AspiringCyborg
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Oct 2011, 6:51 pm

skeeterhawk wrote:
I also know that I curl me feet under sideways when I am in a chair, especially at a desk or table. The outer rim of my feet is against the floor and the sole point more up than down. I also often stim by rubbing the outer rim of my feet against smooth surfaces.

I'd love to know if others do any of this.

PS. I only occasionally toe walk.

I used to toe walk frequently, but I understood pretty early that it wasn't normal and didn't do it publicly. I also rest my feet much as you do, but I prefer to rub my feet against carpet or other rough surfaces. Then again, I have pretty tough feet.

Genesis
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Oct 2011, 6:54 pm

I still do that sometimes... yet rarely I don't remember walking tiptoed...

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 7:03 pm

When barefoot, which I usually am, I do this a lot.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

17 Oct 2011, 7:14 pm

If someone isn't practicing for ballet, then why would anyone walk on their tiptoes? It's so god-dang weird to think about and I can imagine it'd be a little painful/sore after a while.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 7:15 pm

I constantly did this as a kid to the point where it was very noticeable. I will still do it occasionally when I am in sensitive states where I am processing the world more vividly than usual...once it was before a presentation where I had minimal sleep the night before, and my co-presenter told me later that I was doing it. I didn't even notice!

It's a sensory preference for myself...I just like the feeling of being slightly off the ground. It's the reason I wear heels most of the time.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

RockDrummer616
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 7:37 pm

I walk on my toes a lot. I have no idea why, but I've done it as long as I can remember.