Page 4 of 7 [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 8:57 pm

swbluto wrote:
If someone isn't practicing for ballet, then why would anyone walk on their tiptoes? It's so god-dang weird to think about and I can imagine it'd be a little painful/sore after a while.

As illustrated earlier in this thread, it's not exactly on tiptoes, more of walking on the ball of the foot and toes than heel-toe. If I try to, I can walk heel-toe normally (except right now the back of my heel is really really sore). I'll post an image of the soles of the boots I have been wearing for about 9 months to show where the wear is (mostly because that's primarily where my weight is)
[img][800:1071]http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/5706/img20111017215349.jpg[/img]

Note how the heels are practically new/untouched, while the tread around the ball of the foot (roughly lines up between the two grey lines) has almost completely been worn away..

NZaspiegirl016
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Oct 2011, 10:48 pm

No, I don't walk on tip-toes. The one in my family who does is my non-AS sister. I'm not going to say NT because she may have OCD, but hasn't yet been diagnosed. Anyway, my mum is constantly telling her off for tip-toes. The way I walk though, according to my mum, even though I can't see it, is like this: / \ with toes in, "pigeon-toed" she calls it. She told me to point my feet out a bit, and when I did it felt and looked to me like I was doing this: \ / which was uncomfortable, so I went back to my normal walking.

I see my walking as normal, my mum sees it pigeon-toed.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2011, 7:24 am

I've walked barefoot enough as a kid to have learnt that sticks, rocks, weird patches of grass, all kinds of hurtful stuff can attack the soft arch of your foot if you rest your weight on it. The balls are less sensitive... I don't walk barefooted nearly as often now, but i still lift the heel slightly. A sort of preservation instinct I guess.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2011, 7:42 am

Anemone wrote:
When I walk barefoot or in sock feet I put the weight on the balls of my feet, but that's so I don't thump around like an elephant and disturb the neighbours. I'm in an ongoing dispute with my landlord trying to get the people overhead to be equally considerate since they frequently disturb me by thumping around like an elephant.

I live on the second floor and actually have had neighbors that I can hear walking around on the first floor.

It's hard being quiet when walking when living upstairs from someone. I've been over my aunt's house when there were no people upstairs but when the cats ran around it sounded like a herd of elephants. Who would think that such soft little paws could be so loud.

I'm probably louder than I realize but I can't help it. I'm hoping to get a first floor apartment next time I move because of that and because I'm tired of going up and down the stairs.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2011, 2:58 pm

I only walk on tip toes if I'm walking up the stairs. I feel like (for me) it's easier to stay balanced. With that said, I am actually pigeon-toed but people almost never even notice it. I do wear out shoes super fast though and it took forever to learn how to walk in flip-flops and high heels. Ugh!

BrookeBC
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Oct 2011, 3:33 pm

My daughter and I are both toe walkers.

I can walk flat footed and for the most part I have since elementary school, it's more of a shuffle really, people comment that I have an odd gait. But I still toe walk when I'm barefoot outside, running, excited, have to go to the bathroom, going up stairs. The arches of my feet are very sensitive.

My 4 yr old autie is on her toes 75% of the time I'd guess. She will sometimes walk flat footed when she has shoes on, other than that she's always on her toes.

ssl9000j
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Oct 2011, 9:45 pm

I've earned the nickname "Tippy." Need I say more.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 4:52 pm

I walk on my tiptoes about 30% of the time sometimes i dont take notice of tippy-toeing when I am doing it. I usually do it when I wake up am very Anxious or happy.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

lundygirl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 4:55 pm

I only walk on tiptoes when I am carrying something heavy. I have absolutely no idea why I do this, I just do it without thinking.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 5:28 pm

Yeeeeup. I walk like I'm wearing high heels when I'm barefoot.

I like it though, I can move quite quietly when I want too.

You will reap what you've sown.

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Apr 2012, 1:09 am

I used to do it as a kid but only in sneaks. I didn't have the strength to do it otherwise.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 6:38 am

bia4 wrote:
This is interesting to me since I have also been told that kids ( I guess adults too for that matter) have poor balance. This would challenge that theory. :?

I've toe-walked since I learned to walk, and I have terrible balance and coordination. I think it's because balance requires flat-footed postures. If I have to stand on the bus to work, I tip over and lose my balance all the time, and I think it's because standing requires being flat-footed.

Nash: Is there a difference?

WanderingDeer
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Apr 2012, 8:10 am

I used to walk on my tip toes all the time when I was younger, but these days I just sort of throw my feet about when I walk and see where they land. I don't walk very elegantly and can't wear heels. I stand pigeon-toed but I'm not sure if I walk pigeon-toed or not.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 8:36 am

It's pretty common.

I did it-- it was trained out of me (at least where people could see) along with rocking and spinning and hand-flapping. Grandma said, "Don't do that. ret*d kids do that. Do you want people to think you're ret*d?"

I was actually still a kid-- about 10 or so, around 1988-- the first time I wondered if I might not be autistic, because I'd read a story about an autistic child in Reader's Digest and identified with the desire to perform some of those behaviors. I was, of course, relieved to learn that I couldn't possibly be, because autistic kids didn't talk in 1988. 8O :roll: :?

Gee-- Guess I should have been hanging out with Lorna Wing even back then. Right time, wrong place. *SARCASM ALERT*

My 4-year-old son does it. My 2-year-old daughter does too, though to a much lesser extent (and she also actively seeks out other kids to play with).

So far I've looked the other way. I think it's cute, watching him bouncing around on his toes, flapping his hands, repeating himself and grinning. It doesn't last long. It mostly happens when he's overcome with joy, and I've just reveled in seeing the kid so happy.

I think I've done the wrong thing. Those years are short and fleeting-- and others' reactions to those behaviors are going to turn joy into a source of great pain. Awareness of HFA has risen; unfortunately, tolerance and acceptance have not kept pace.

Mommy's sorry, Buddy. This HURTS. This hurts so much that, sometimes, I lay beside you in bed at night and hold you or stroke your hair and cry myself to sleep. But-- Don't do that. ret*d kids do that. Do you want people to think you're ret*d???

EmmaUK12
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 9:34 am

CleverKitten wrote:
I often find that whenever I'm barefooted, I almost always walk on my tiptoes. And I feel very uncomfortable keeping my feet flat on the ground.
Do other AS people have this habit?

I walk on my tiptoes when i am not wearing shoes, i'm not sure why i don't when i am wearing them.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 11:22 am

EmmaUK12 wrote:
I walk on my tiptoes when i am not wearing shoes, i'm not sure why i don't when i am wearing them.

It's just not possible to toe-walk in most shoes, because many shoes have a base that lifts both your heel and the soles of your feet up off of the ground. In any shoe that has a base of some sort, I can't toe-walk since all parts of my foot are level and elevated. But in shoes that are flat on the ground and have no support (like the special tennis shoes I wear for sensory issues that have no arch) or when barefoot, you don't have anything elevating all parts of your foot, so it's possible to control it yourself and just lift the heel and toe-walk.

Question for others- does anyone else run on their toes or walk backwards on their toes (while barefoot or in good toe-walking shoes)? How about being in toe-walk position while sitting down? I do all of these, and I never noticed until my best friend asked me toe-walking details in fascination once. :lol: And does anyone else find it physically impossible and awkward NOT to toe-walk while barefoot. I've tried to walk flat-footed while barefoot, and it's like walking in molasses.

And yes, I could easily walk in high heels the first time I tried. If I ever stumble in high heels, it's from my lack of coordination in general, not from the shoe. :D

Nash: Is there a difference?