Page 1 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

HerrAsh
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Apr 2009, 7:16 am

I'm in the process of working on my style and appearance and as with most Aspies I've had very negative experiences with what clothes I wear and criticism of my fashion sense and style. This has been for numerous reasons which include a habit of wearing the same clothes until they are literally unwearable and sticking to the same colour spectrum of blue and black.

When it comes to dealing with NT's what you wear is a big issue and makes a big impact (apparently 90% of the first impression is based on visual image) and I'm interested in knowing other Aspies experiences with clothing and personal style from what style of clothes they like, what colours they prefer, what fabrics they can wear (I can't handle pure wool eeeek) and how they like to wear their clothes.

If it was up to me I'd wear the same style and colour t-shirt and jeans all the time, yet social rules dictate we need to dress differently (and appropriately) for different social situations and since most of us Aspies are oblivious to what our peers do, we skip this aspect of social interaction.

I will really appreciate hearing from other Aspies regarding this topic.

Herr Ash

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 7:20 am

I just skip the social aspect. :)

I wear what makes me comfortable, which is a part of my routine; the same type of shorts and shirts day in day out (I have several pairs of the same stuff), and the same hat if I'm out in the sun.

I don't care what anyone thinks; if they deride me for doing such, they aren't worth the effort to think/care about.

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 7:35 am

What I wear everyday is a polo shirt and pair of either kakis or cargo pants. Usually the pants last 2-3 days, and the shirt is fresh every day. I don't really have many other clothes in my closet, so, I can just reach in and grab something. I don't even need to look. Adds the variety they want, with my ease (and ignorance) of getting dressed, and matching clothes. With this set, pretty much anything goes, and it's considered professional for where I work.

Grunthos
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Apr 2009, 7:37 am

I rely on my NT sister in law to take me shopping with the "female eye for the Aspie guy" :D

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 7:47 am

I'm a girl so I uhh dress to impress.
I usually wear a t-shirt and jeans, although now I have to rug up with winter approaching. Mmm, long jackets with scarves and gloves. I can't wait.
When I go out to see bands or to a party I might wear a dress or a top takes makes me look female. That sounds bad but c'mon I'm single.
The clothes I usually wear are tight or slightly loose jeans, with a band t-shirt or low cut top. I like stripes and poke-a-dots too.
My clothes feel uncomfortable, especially stockings. It feels like ants are running up my legs. I still wear them though. And some shoes cause me to have cuts on my heels, but I just really like looking good when I go out.
There's actually a person I want to dress like, so I get ideas from her and copy what other people wear too.

If I go out I wear something like this: http://twitpic.com/31523

As for guys I like guys that wear cardigans with tight to loose jeans. Hoodies are nice too.
http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/3876/stripey8yb.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2328/240 ... 2d5538.jpg (the second guy - wow)

FePixie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Apr 2009, 7:47 am

Bugger wot the NTs think - i go for comfortable - and yep - the same colours & styles over and over :roll:
I guess I'm lucky I can work for meself from home...

I do get odd looks from clients (on the few occasions when i don't manage to wriggle out of a face to face meeting) for turning up at corporate type places in barefeet though :lol:

And from old grannies in mid winter "ooh dear arent your feet cold?" standard reply "naaa - I've got a hat" tilts hat politely and wanders off while they're tryna think wot 2 say 2 that :lol:

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 7:48 am

(Double post)

Last edited by Hovis on 22 Apr 2009, 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eller
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 7:49 am

Because of my sensory issues I can't wear everything (and is anyone else here carefully removing any and all labels from the inside of their bought clothing? :lol: ) but one of my special interests is fashion design. At school I was in the fashion design club, and I guess my sense of fashion is okay, at least I've never been told otherwise, and others liked my designs enough to ask for the paper patterns. I consider it a form of art. (Also, with self-made clothing, I can circumvent my issue with some textures, I can choose fabrics I'm comfortable with. It's a huge advantage.)

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 7:50 am

Danielismyname wrote:
I don't care what anyone thinks; if they deride me for doing such, they aren't worth the effort to think/care about.

I agree. Providing I'm clean and reasonably tidy, then anyone who would base their decision on whether or not to associate with me on what I was wearing isn't a person I would wish to get to know anyway.

There aren't too many fabrics in themselves I have issues with. Wool and wool mixes make me constantly itch. I cannot bear to touch the stretchy nylon that standard women's nylons are made of; even just looking at it for too long and imagining what it feels like makes me feel sick. Mostly, though, it is the fit of clothes that I'm very particular about. I can't say, "I prefer a loose fit, period," or, "I prefer a tight fit, period," because it can vary depending on the item and where on the body it is tight or loose.

I can't wear ordinary full-length trousers, only cropped styles, because the feel of fabric flapping around and trailing on my feet is no good. Basically anything around my feet and ankles, shoes, socks, needs to be tight-laced/tight-fitting. Any excess material or movement is intolerable. I don't like long sleeves (coats are the only exception for some reason) because material either flapping around or constricting my wrists is similarly intolerable. Too high in the neck is also no good. Any kind of seam or fastening that I'm conscious of is no good. I cannot walk in any kind of shoe with a heel.

That something is comfortable for me is far more important than how it looks, which seems to be the opposite of most NTs. Perhaps if I were trying to impress a specific person I might choose a little more carefully, but I'm afraid that if I found something uncomfortable, it would be out of the question no matter how 'good' it looked. I would simply be taking more care to look for items that were both comfortable and pleasing to me and visually acceptable to them.

Last edited by Hovis on 22 Apr 2009, 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

FePixie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Apr 2009, 7:52 am

Eller wrote:
and is anyone else here carefully removing any and all labels from the inside of their bought clothing? :lol:

Oh yep - first wear for most - why ever do they bother with the darn things - who reads em anyways?

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 7:58 am

FePixie wrote:
Eller wrote:
and is anyone else here carefully removing any and all labels from the inside of their bought clothing? :lol:

Oh yep - first wear for most - why ever do they bother with the darn things - who reads em anyways?

Don't they have what size the clothes are on the tags? Ways to wash and the measurements? I cut my shirt tags off when they get too annoying. But if I want to know the measurements I read them.

FePixie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Apr 2009, 8:03 am

pensieve wrote:
FePixie wrote:
Eller wrote:

Don't they have what size the clothes are on the tags? Ways to wash and the measurements? I cut my shirt tags off when they get too annoying. But if I want to know the measurements I read them.

Yeah they do - but you wunna read them before you buy em - not when you're wearing the things - so cant they just go on the paper tag that gets removed? 8O

Mortiferus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Apr 2009, 8:04 am

(I'm female)
I've had a few different pretty "out-there" styles since my teenage years. Last year I was into neon colours and even had neon coloured artificial dreads. LOL. Oh well, I'm done with wearing anything too "crazy". Sometimes people had hilariously hostile reactions to my style (what's the logic behind that? So stupid!) but I did get positive comments sometimes. Anyways I'm tired of the attention.

I wear lots of men's style clothes. I think women's clothes are ugly and often are made of stupid synthetic fabrics I hate. Cotton/velvet, leather, Earthy colours, white&black are what I prefer nowadays. Nothing too unusual, but I do have dreads even though I'm Caucasian with straight hair.

Eller
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 8:17 am

FePixie wrote:
Yeah they do - but you wunna read them before you buy em - not when you're wearing the things - so cant they just go on the paper tag that gets removed? 8O

I SO agree! And sometimes there even are labels that only repeat the brand name... Totally useless. I can remember at which shop I bought stuff, thank you very much. If it was good, I'll gladly buy there again. And I'll also remember never to go there again if it was bad quality. No reminder needed.

redplanet
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Apr 2009, 8:19 am

I've never taken much interest in clothes, at least not until recently. I couldn't care less about fashion and I wear what feels most comfortable, which is usually jeans and a t-shirt. Lately I've been looking into varying my style of clothing but it's more about feeling happier in myself and trying to be creative than about fashion. For example I've started wearing more colourful clothes as they make me feel better about myself. I'm also wearing more skirts whereas previously I would wear jeans even in the summer. They make me feel good, and therefore I feel more comfortable in my own skin. It's never about the latest fashions or what other people like to see. If people judge me on what I wear then they're not worth my time.

RandomKid
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 8:31 am

I wear mostly tees and sweats. I like polo shirts cause they just feel comfy and are nicer than tshirts. I can wear jeans to go out however I do not like to just sit around at home with them on.