Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

jadix
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jan 2018, 5:11 am

I am new to this forum, and I am not diagnosed, but I am fairly certain I have some form of ASD. I have had doctors say they thought I had it, but never stayed long enough to be diagnosed. I stim when no one is around, I can't stand loud noises, bright lights, or lots of voices, and many other things. Tonight the chairs in my church where all changed out, and the seating arrangement was different. It felt like I didn't know the people in the building, and it was a new church, and I had a panic attack. I got home and freaked out for quite a while, and self injured. I keep trying not to do it. I don't know if this is a normal reaction to a change, I know that is a symptom, does anyone else experience this.
Or possibly have recommendations on how to stop self injurious behavior, it's involuntary, often if something is to loud I do it before I realize what I am doing, and I am getting a wide array of welts on my head. I hope this is not to much information. I would appreciate any advice.

The Musings Of The Lost
Toucan
Toucan

25 Jan 2018, 5:13 am

Try gettting a boxing bag or something, and punch the everloving s**t out of it when you get these feelings.
It seems to help me.

jadix
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jan 2018, 5:15 am

good idea, thanks. :)

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 6:09 am

Aspies generally have extra stress when the environment is changed. I have often just left, but learning a whole new one is also a lot of work, and then it changes too.

jadix
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jan 2018, 6:28 am

I am already attached to the people. They're very nice, it just is taking so long to recover now that the numbers have also increased in those attending. I just wish they would leave things the same for a while. Thanks for responding to my post.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 6:33 am

jadix wrote:
I am already attached to the people. They're very nice, it just is taking so long to recover now that the numbers have also increased in those attending. I just wish they would leave things the same for a while. Thanks for responding to my post.

Maybe try to work with the people who decide on changes. That way, at least you'll be warned.
When stores get rearranged, I try to bother the managers for directions for months.

jadix
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jan 2018, 4:05 pm

Good idea, thanks.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2018, 1:03 am

I'm extremely sensitive to changes in my environment just the same as you jadix, and at 42 years of age I still haven't found an effective means to deal with this kind of stimuli. ASDs will always be sensitive to any kind of change and there may not be a way to deal with it except through extensive therapy and pharmaceutical drug treatment which I don't have the money for right now.

So my battle with change rages on.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

jadix
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jan 2018, 6:08 am

Money is why I haven't tried to get a diagnosis. I knew in the past I was upset but never knew why, I still felt effects from that all day today. I never would have linked the two, I would have just thought I was upset for no reason. At least knowing the cause seems to help. Its astounding how something so small can have such a huge impact. Good luck to you. I don't know if you're in the US, but hopefully some day soon we get better health care coverage in this country.

CloudClimber
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2018, 6:15 am

I didn't like change as a kid, but now generally I like change. I don't like monotony and get bored easily; however I don't like to change my routines. I just expect everything to change at some point and don't attach to what it currently is especially if it's not under my control. It took a long to to become so accepting and adaptable, but it's possible at least. One day at a time.

jadix
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jan 2018, 6:53 pm

I keep changing my environment, like thousands of new starts, or templates, if that makes any sense.