Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

kip
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 10:58 pm

This is very much not cool.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080412/ap_on_he_me/vaccine_meeting;_ylt=AgRIKjCOSvtZHjItBe4B6ola24cA

More of those nutters wanting to 'cure' us.

And the one MOTHER? Yea, shes an 'anti-autism advocate'. Her KID is autistic! How the hell will they explain that one away? "Oh, I'd rather not have a child if it means I get one on the spectrum?" Shoot parents like that, please.

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 11:01 pm

People are way too uptight about this stuff.

Catalyst
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Apr 2008, 11:37 pm

I am getting really tired of hearing about the vaccine/autism link. It's just not good science.

However, I think we need to be a little more understanding about the anti-autism folks. Yes, they are lacking in some basic comprehension-- they really need to actually talk to some adult autistics, I think-- but "Anti-autism" does NOT mean "Anti-people-with-autism". They don't understand that autism is part of who we are.... but let's face it, "Anti-Cancer" doesn't mean you hate people with Cancer.

Yes, the curebies are clueless... but just bashing them and distorting their views won't help them understand.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 11:49 pm

kip wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080412/ap_on_he_me/vaccine_meeting;_ylt=AgRIKjCOSvtZHjItBe4B6ola24cA

And the one MOTHER? Yea, shes an 'anti-autism advocate'. Her KID is autistic! How the hell will they explain that one away? "Oh, I'd rather not have a child if it means I get one on the spectrum?" Shoot parents like that, please.

Shoot parents? Do you realize you are advocating murder?

Catalyst
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Apr 2008, 11:55 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Shoot parents? Do you realize you are advocating murder?

Having been the subject of an investigation because of hyperbole on a BBS, I don't think this is funny. It's a figure of speech.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 11:59 pm

If you've been investigated for hyperbole, why keep using it?

Catalyst
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Apr 2008, 12:01 am

I actually pick my words more carefully now after my encounter. But conflating someone's figure of speech into an offence is still pretty obnoxious.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 12:10 am

I'm sick of reading about this autism-vaccine s**t.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 12:41 am

kip wrote:

Apparently, it's somewhat common for parents of autistic children to take measures to prevent themselves from having another autistic child because they have a word for it: "stoppage". They stop having children or they make sure to only have girls because girls are less likely to be diagnosed with an ASD. Read more here:

http://www.christinaadamswriter.com/writings_Los-Angeles-Times-Magazine.html

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 12:49 am

Quote:
Apparently, it's somewhat common for parents of autistic children to take measures to prevent themselves from having another autistic child because they have a word for it: "stoppage". They stop having children or they make sure to only have girls because girls are less likely to be diagnosed with an ASD.

I understand why parents of autistic children have that thing called stoppage. If one autistic child is a challenge, two could totally disrupt family life. The right to life obviously doesn't apply to children who have yet to be conceived. Practical considerations exist in every family.

Jaded
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 1:05 am

Yeah the vaccine/autism link is starting to grate.

How do they explain both my kids being on the spectrum when they weren't vaccinated one iota? Yeah, that.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 1:48 am

I don't mean get a gun and literally shoot them... it's something my mother says. Basically she means put us out of their misery.

And I am also sick with the whole autism-vaccine link. I posted it because these people, instead of accepting and nuturing kids on the spectrum, they have talked the gov't into looking for a link. So they can sue. So then they don't have to think about possibly learning to live with it. They want to blame everyone and anyone except that they may have 'lost' the genetic lottery.

I worry about having kids in this day and age, because theres a good chance they will be on the spectrum, like me. And theres gonna be some nutter out there trying to cure my child, when all they need is people to understand that yes, they are different, and yes, they are still people.

D1nk0
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 1:52 am

kip wrote:

Meh. Im totally unconvinced about the theory of *aquired autism* from thimerosal vaccine suspensions.
Ive heard about curebies for years but I dont this is something worthy of getting worked up about.

Catalyst
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Apr 2008, 2:03 am

Jaded wrote:
How do they explain both my kids being on the spectrum when they weren't vaccinated one iota? Yeah, that.

They don't even have an explanation for the fact that the problem has continued to get worse even though the vaccines have changed!

Unfortunately, we've got two schools of thought that are at work here.

1) "We have to do something. This is something. Therefore we have to do it." The suggestion that we shouldn't do something specific is automatically equated in both their minds and their rheotric to the suggestion that we should do nothing. Doing something ineffective, or even counterproductive, is considered to be better than not doing anything at all, even when the solution creates an host of new problems. Take, for example, Prohibition in the United States.

John D. Rockefeller wrote:
When Prohibition was introduced, I hoped that it would be widely supported by public opinion and the day would soon come when the evil effects of alcohol would be recognized. I have slowly and reluctantly come to believe that this has not been the result. Instead, drinking has generally increased; the speakeasy has replaced the saloon; a vast army of lawbreakers has appeared; many of our best citizens have openly ignored Prohibition; respect for the law has been greatly lessened; and crime has increased to a level never seen before.

Most of this was apparent within a year or two of the 18th amendment and the Volstead act, and yet it took over 13 years for them to repeal Prohibition.

2) A general distrust of any statement by Authority, no matter how self-evident. Regardless of your opinion of the actual historicity involved, it is still significant to note that, by and large, nobody really believes that JFK was killed by Lee Harvey Oswald. Hell, if George W. Bush went out on April Fool's Day and announced that he wanted to dispel the rumours that he was actually a simian-lizard hybrid developed by Nikolai Tesla to protect the world from an invasion of aliens led by Paris Hilton's purse-dog, you'd have websites up in three hours about the purse-dog invasion and how the government would be hiding it from us.

So when these people hear opposition, they close their ears to reason. I imagine that there are one or two of them who just want somebody to sue and don't care about the facts, and they probably have a lot to do with it. There are certainly enough "wedge issues" being pushed by people with their own agendas but perpetuated by the people they've suckered. But it's very possible that all of these people really believe that there is a link, despite the fact that they aren't qualified to make that judgment.

Catalyst
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Apr 2008, 2:08 am

slowmutant wrote:
Quote:
Apparently, it's somewhat common for parents of autistic children to take measures to prevent themselves from having another autistic child because they have a word for it: "stoppage". They stop having children or they make sure to only have girls because girls are less likely to be diagnosed with an ASD.

I understand why parents of autistic children have that thing called stoppage. If one autistic child is a challenge, two could totally disrupt family life. The right to life obviously doesn't apply to children who have yet to be conceived. Practical considerations exist in every family.

Hell, I'm autistic and I chose not to have kids. Admittedly, I might have reconsidered if I hadn't married into FIVE children, but the truth is that an autistic child would require special care that I am not capable of giving. I have trouble watching my grandson for more than a few minutes at a time, especially now that he is capable of walking out of my line-of-sight.

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 5:37 am

I think that there is an autism/verbal and physical abuse link. Whether I am on the spectrum or not, the "something peculiar" about me was used as an excuse by my mother to use me as a punching bag. I think that autism is caused at least as often as it is inherited.