Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jaded
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 4:40 pm

Or just totally blindsided by people's reactions to you??

Sometimes it makes my head spin and forces me into an internal thought loop called "WTF is their problem with me?" This is guaranteed to drain me of energy.

I really don't get it.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 4:43 pm

I'm constantly misunderstood, but I've gotten used to it.

Seth36
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Apr 2008, 4:45 pm

Well you're not alone on that because I've always done the exact same thing, i commonly get into situations as well where I start to over analyse and judge myself when I say something that has a negative reaction, for instance when i blurt something out which i think is appropriate or funny etc but everyone else doesnt take it well and has a strange reaction, at that moment i get anxious and start obsessing over what i said, why it was stupid, why i said it, what i could have said etc etc, it really does screw my head up alot

Felinity
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Apr 2008, 5:07 pm

I'm often misunderstood. How can one prevent this?? Is it just because we are different, people assume the worse and like to gossip about it?

What is worst for me is when they misunderstand me as a total human being, then take their misunderstandings as "fact" and turn it into Gossip that is spread from one state to another...

In fact, no one really even knows me there, no one took the time to really even talk to me... and they have this idea of who they think I am and it is COMPLETELY wrong!! ! I wish I could move to another country or state and use another name and try to start over .... Someone surely will misunderstand me soon enough again -- but hopefully, I will be able to see their misunderstandings and correct them before things get out of hand... I've actually been threatened, set-up for arrest and totally publicly humiliated based on misunderstandings in the past..

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 5:15 pm

I've always been misunderstood by my so called "peers" so I don't bother trying to get them to understand me.

Viola
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2008, 5:22 pm

I'm a misunderstood teenager, for what it's worth.

Sometimes I think that people don't actually listen to what people say, but hear instead what they think that they should say. Same for actions. So no one actually understands anyone the way they intend to be understood.

angelgirl1224
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 5:29 pm

yeah im misunderstood
i dont think anybody understands me.
Dont even think i do really
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

ross54
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Apr 2008, 5:41 pm

Jaded wrote:
Or just totally blindsided by people's reactions to you??

Sometimes it makes my head spin and forces me into an internal thought loop called "WTF is their problem with me?" This is guaranteed to drain me of energy.

I really don't get it.
Totally blindsided; a very apt expression for a recent experience I had on a discussion board at another website. Something I wrote provoked a furious reaction from one person. I went back over what I'd written. Couldn't see what is the world had caused the trouble. Later, I considered that this person was being what the Brits call 'bloody-minded'; meaning, I think, deliberately misinterpreting what I said in the worst, most antagonistic way imaginable. I wonder if similar scenarios play themselves out frequently between aspies and NTs. Those of us who stand out in a crowd seem to make a tempting target for the insecure and the mean-spirited. Ross

krex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 6:49 pm

I am often misunderstood, I end up prefacing half of my communication in attempt to clarify BEFORE this can happen but seince I can't actually understand their minds, it's seldom effective.

On the other hand...I often misunderstand other people as well. I guess that is pretty logical given my inability to read 80% of their nonverbal communication. It also would help if thy would just say what they fricken mean instead of making me try and read between the lines.As I would like to say to many NT's what teachers say to little kids. when they hit someone.....

"Use your words"

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Trident_infinity
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Apr 2008, 7:20 pm

I've been diagnosed with Asperger's, so I guess that counts as being misunderstood :wink:,

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 7:26 pm

I'm misunderstood by society, but I don't the backstabbing society that I don't wish to bother with. Why would I want to deal with a bunch of prissies, and chavs who say rude comments, about my friends and I? I'd rather be a part of my little threesome, than hanging out with my mainstream peers, who happen to be back stabbers.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 7:49 pm

My life has been one misunderstanding after another.

AlteredEgo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Apr 2008, 7:55 pm

All the time. So much so that it no longer surprises me.

Ryn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2008, 8:05 pm

I feel misunderstood, but the way some people act makes me not really care to be understood.

Some of the rumors I've heard that were spread about me are so ludicrous and silly that I was dumbfounded. It's like they're talking about another person. And I've never had anyone say it to my face, most people seem nice to me normally which is frustrating. Most people don't seem to care about the truth but instead assume what benefits or is most interesting to them.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 8:14 pm

Jaded,

YEP, I am again going to have to say "I'm like that ALSO!"!

Rainstorm5
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 10:23 pm

Yes, I'm misunderstood all the time. I actually used to care whether or not people understood me. They never tried, though, so I stopped trying, too.