The most disgusting symptom is special interests

Page 3 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

29 Apr 2008, 9:11 pm

I never saw Benny & Joon and probably won't. I thought that Whats Eating Gilbert Grape would be a sucko tear jerker, but it was okay. I liked what Gilbert did for his mother at the end.

29 Apr 2008, 9:14 pm

How come you won't see the movie?

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

29 Apr 2008, 9:25 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
How come you won't see the movie?

The is a probably qualifier in there Spokane_Girl. It looked like an eccentric version of a chick flick, and since I like James Woods Vampire movies and the Resident Evil series type movies its a matter of the genre that I like. :D So I'm not bagging on your interest, it just doesn't seem like my type of movie.

29 Apr 2008, 9:29 pm

Oh I thought it was because of me. Lot of people hated my talk about it and the city on another forum and they were aspies too. WTF. But I don't even say much about it on here.

KateShroud
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Austin, Texas, United States, north America, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

29 Apr 2008, 9:37 pm

Over the past few months I've started obsessively coming to this site. It's my home page. It might not be my main special interest, but I learn from it, and it keeps me going when I can't pursue other interests. It's almost interfered with my school. But why would anyone say that something is disgusting if it helps people stay sane? I still don't get it, especially after reading all of this.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

29 Apr 2008, 9:55 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Oh I thought it was because of me. Lot of people hated my talk about it and the city on another forum and they were aspies too. WTF. But I don't even say much about it on here.

I'm no good at reading people, but I haven't seen you write anything that would alienate others here. You've actually given good advice if people would just follow it.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 10:14 pm

well, there's nothing wrong with interests...it's all a matter of proportion. I collected musical instruments for 20 years, but I taught myself to play them. Then I found out about 3d art, but it's just something I do in my spare time. It's just a way to express myself...

As long as you can differentiate between real life and your interests, you should be fine.

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 11:52 am

Quote:
Why not get a filing cabinet and file the papers? Cleaning up your floor doesn't mean you have to throw the papers out.

One part laziness, one part wishing not to have a filing cabinet take up more space(as illogical as it is).

Happyhelen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Apr 2008, 1:13 pm

Special interests do give things to talk about especially if people know so much about different things, like one my friends with asperger syndrome knows everything about music and I learn so much when he tells me what he knows.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 1:16 pm

Bozewani wrote:
That is BS, that's the best part of your diagnosis.

Don't listen to them, it reminds me how people put Marconi in an asylum when he said he could transmit sound without wires and now we have radios.

Don't listen.

Be happy, you have them, or you become what society whats you to become, an obedient hedgehog ready to pounce on your boss's commands.

The radio was actually invented by Nikola Tesla.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 3:34 pm

My special interest had helped me 2 get a full time job n i almost came on national tv so havin a special interest means a lot 2 me if i didn't have one i would a no hoper.

Hyzera
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Apr 2008, 5:19 pm

MartyMoose wrote:
Bozewani wrote:

Don't listen to them, it reminds me how people put Marconi in an asylum when he said he could transmit sound without wires and now we have radios.

Don't listen.

Be happy, you have them, or you become what society whats you to become, an obedient hedgehog ready to pounce on your boss's commands.

Bah, you beat me to it!

I was obsessed with Tesla and his magnificent inventions a few months ago. Shame he never finished his free energy machine in Colorado Springs. :?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 5:28 pm

My special interests bring me joy, and I wouldn't be able to live without them. :)

KateShroud
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Austin, Texas, United States, north America, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

30 Apr 2008, 5:38 pm

[quote="Hyzera I was obsessed with Tesla and his magnificent inventions a few months ago. Shame he never finished his free energy machine in Colorado Springs. :?[/quote]
What did he actually invent? I had a friend who was telling me about his brilliant inventions, but not all of what he read seemed to be factual. Some online snake oil salesmen were selling junk that they claimed was invented by Tesla to ward off bad spirits and energy. I'm sure you've heard of that freaky new wave Coast to Coast stuff. Please enlighten me.

matsuiny2004
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 5:44 pm

Chimchar wrote:
I read somewhere that the most disgusting symptom of Aspergers is a special interest. I wondered why.

What ever the reason was, she was right. It's because of my special interests that led to compulsive printing and hoarding. I can't help it, I just crave for information. I got in trouble for that.

Is there anyway to get rid of my interests?

you could have OCD if it is compulsive, I have main intense interests and I like having them. I do not feel compelled to follow them, it is possible for you to change your itnerests and switch from one to the other :)

matsuiny2004
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 5:54 pm

MartyMoose wrote:
Bozewani wrote:

Don't listen.

he also invented modern electricity and an earthquake machine (that works) 8O