What are physical health problems that go with Asperger's?

Page 8 of 11 [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 2:07 pm

redroseuptown wrote:
I've only done limited research in this area but I read that there are some physical health problems associated with Asperger's. Does anyone know what these are? Or would anyone like to share personal stories related to this topic? I am trying to figure out my own health. I think I have Asperger's.

---

Am unaware of any physical problems which always go with Asperger's.

About as close to addressing that kind of question may be something like:

Invisible, almost invisible, mild Cerebral Palsy and Associated Conditions:

http://www.associatedconditionsofcerebralpalsy.com/

and

http://www.sportsconcussions.org/

and

http://www.ott.zynet.co.uk/polio/lincol ... /nyas.html
http://www.ott.zynet.co.uk/polio/lincol ... t/bfg.html

and

http://www.encephalitis.info/

and

http://www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/

and so on.

Toddles
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Jan 2011, 7:32 am

I personally have had a number of physical ailments that accompany my AS. They include sleep apnea, constipation and hypertension. I have had a past history of IBS but it seems to have subsided over the years. Digestive problems are more prevalent among people with AS, or so I have read. Some contributing factors to hypertension among aspies may be due to vitamin D defeciency which regulates heart rythym. I take a multivitamin daily to compensate along with a cocktail of other medications to help me manage my hypertension and type 2 diabetes.

violetchild
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2011, 9:15 am

Digestive issues (I have IBS), allergies and anxiety (very common) are more common in those with Asperger's... also sleep issues.

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2011, 4:29 pm

Im fortunate that AS is my only real "health problem" per se. No IBS, sleep disorders, etc. As a child i had "borderline asthma" and was prone to migraines, but that has improved, as has my aspergers as ive grown up. My AS was much more severe when i was younger.

laustcawz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Feb 2011, 9:03 am

I've never gotten an official diagnosis, but it's been speculated that I'm an Aspie & I think I must be, for a variety of reasons.

Something that comes up again & again in my life is that I seem to have ultra-sensitive vision & hearing compared to many others. This has led to numerous intense conflicts. Regarding the vision issue, though, I think something else is involved. I've come to the conclusion that fluorescent lights (especially prolonged exposure to them) is weakening many people's eyesight to the point where they can see virtually nothing without this kind of lighting, which has been causing HUGE problems in my life. For me, there seems to be a natural aspect to it as well, though. Bright sunlight, which some people evidently consider "beautiful", I find terribly irritating. I've unfortunately had some horrible (& quite lengthy) experiences involving both lots of (for me) virtually blinding sunshine (being stuck in a tropical area for years) & also fluorescent lights (being stuck in death-ca--I mean, health-care facilities).

I don't so much mind gray, overcast days, but I find it difficult to even go out in the daytime if I haven't slept well (or at least a little bit). I also have to cover up any & all windows, or I can't sleep at all.

Oddly, in the less than a decade that I've had the chance to use computers, I've never had a problem with the screens, which seem to cause big problems for some people (though I tend to want to keep the screen dim around low lighting, which only makes sense, after all) & I usually find TV screens & movie screens comforting. Also, assuming I'm up & around & awake, I actually rather like neon lights, though maybe this, too, will not be the case at some point.

Assuming also that I am indeed an Aspie, are there any others who can relate to any of this?

Xinro
Raven
Raven

22 Feb 2011, 10:52 am

Acid reflux, allium intolerance (onions, garlic, etc) and postural hypotension here. The frequent upset stomachs are a huge downer. I'm also more sensitive to urinary tract and yeast infections and will usually get two or more infections in a row.

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 11:02 am

Physical conditions that manifest in aspies are often conditions that relate to stress. Aspies can have acid reflux, ulcers, IBS, pancreatitis, headaches, migraines, insomnia, weak immune system (which makes patients more prone to everything), fatigue... then if the aspie has depression, we're looking at all the physical conditions that manifest with depression, including body aches & pains.

AspieDa
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Feb 2011, 12:14 pm

Valoyossa wrote:
I have Dyspraxia, speaking problems*, Raynaud's, Paradontosis, DSPS and IBS. I think most of Aspies wear glasses, me too.]

Depression is connected because of social problems.

*A little strange thing. My pronunciation is good in German, but quite bad in Polish. But I have to use Polish the most, it's my basic language :lol: And classic: too loud, too deep, to harsh...

I am aspie and don't wear glasses or need to last vision check was 20/15.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 12:25 pm

yeah lots of digestive things (wonder how that relates)

SeizeTheDay
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 12:35 pm

Seizure Disorder (most likely due to numerous head traumas), migraines, bradycardia, low blood pressure.

"The person who knows everything has a lot to learn."

"Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum" (I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am) René Descartes

Ashuahhe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2011, 4:29 pm

IBS and possibly Depression. I get up in the morning and almost always get sick due to anxiety/ food. Not the most pleasant feeling :(

silent_shepherd
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Apr 2011, 9:58 pm

I would say the most pronounced health problem I have because of AS is severe Anxiety and all those lovely problems associated with it. Diagnosed G.A.D. and Social anxiety like I didn't know that at like the age of 3. Anxiety can cause so many problems it is ridiculous. (eg Digestion Problems, Heart related problems, Adrenal Problems, Hypoglycemia, Sleep Issues, Muscle Cramps and Twitching.)

DJRAVEN66
Raven
Raven

14 Oct 2011, 11:36 pm

personaly i dont know of any physical health problems linked to auties or aspies
allthough i do have numerus physical health problems my-self that cause a lot of
problems

does anyone have back problems that are causeing them to be less and less mobile? :?:

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2011, 7:37 am

Yes, I have had lifelong back problems. I think most of it comes down to "Morton's Toe" where the second toe is longer than the big toe. This throws everything out of alignment. I was also visually examined as an infant for congenital hip dysplasia. The pediatrician decided I didn't have it and my mother was relieved because treatment would have involved a year in a body cast. Now years later I have big problems with my hips. Just having sex in the usual missionary position threw my hips out of alignment and I was limping for days afterwards. :? I use the past tense for sex because that's my life right now.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2011, 12:25 pm

I think ear infections can be common in Autistics, possibly caused by acute hearing/sensitive ears.

Also maybe palpitations from stress and anxiety what life gives us.

That is all. Stress in anyone can cause paplitations, but I would be a little less stressed out if I didn't have this AS.

It's no point writing a big list full of all the possible health problems a person can have, because everybody faces health problems at some time in their life. And I never, ever blame my immune system on having AS. My immune system is very healthy anyways, and I know loads of people with unhealthy immune systems who are always picking up every cold that's going around. My NT cousin is healthy otherwise, but literally every 4 to 5 weeks she picks up a bad cold, and it's not just a genuine run of colds - it's been going on for 4 years, so practically she's been getting a cold about 14 times a year for the last 4 years, so that's......what ever 14 x 4 is.

Madao
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Oct 2011, 2:09 am

I do have trouble with balance and motor skills (clumsiness) because of AS. I tend to walk into things unintentionally. I also get dizzy often because of balance issues. I can not stand up quickly or else I'll get dizzy. Other physical side effects of autism are being hypersensitive to sound, light, and touch. They can literally be physically painful.