Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

gitchel
Raven
Raven

21 Apr 2008, 10:48 pm

How to Order Fast Food

My son has written a Guest Article on my blog. It's entitled "How to Order Fast Food" and is meant as a help file for Autistics trying to deal with the typical feeding frenzy at the local Mickey D's.

We're thinking of a series ;-)

[email protected]
http://perseveration.org
Twitter: Gitchel

nihil de nobis sine nobis

samantca
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Apr 2008, 10:51 pm

That was an awesome article. I found a lot of helpfull tips there actually. I hope he writes more of those :D

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 10:55 pm

gitchel wrote:
How to Order Fast Food

My son has written a Guest Article on my blog. It's entitled "How to Order Fast Food" and is meant as a help file for Autistics trying to deal with the typical feeding frenzy at the local Mickey D's.

We're thinking of a series ;-)

Outside of the fact that he assumes what people will like, and aren't picky, WELL DONE! GOOD ADVICE!

Jainaday
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 2:25 am

Wow. . .

I remember figuring out how to do that. .

It's easy and casual for me now, but wasn't till I was. . . like. . 20, maybe?

Practice really helps.

wolphin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Apr 2008, 2:54 am

Yeah. I was just at subway the other day and was like...for some reason I can do highly advanced mathematics but I have trouble ordering lunch :) (subway is one of my favorites but is complicated because you have to keep in tune with the guy making your sandwich)

victorvndoom
Toucan
Toucan

22 Apr 2008, 3:23 am

read the list of products they got , pick one and ask

just ask :)

i have no feeding frenzy

i often ask the same over and over again so i dont have to bother what else to pick
(always something with bacon)

Last edited by victorvndoom on 22 Apr 2008, 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Apr 2008, 3:25 am

that is so weird. It had never occurred to me that some people find fast-food places easy.

I have always used up a lot of energy navigating through the fast food ordering process.

Thanks for the tips.

The "fall back meal" is something I recognise, for me for a long time it was chips/fries. Because of excluding wheat some of the time and dairy occasionally in the last 15 years, chips was pretty much the only one i could rely on, until had time to see what salads or "customisable" burgers they had, ie: ones i could eat without the bun.

Like the "to go " advice too. Sometimes the car ( if you have one; i do when am with french father of my son), or simple kerbside/concrete rock next to carpark is more comfortable than the restaurant.

Since completely excluding wheat and dairy last october though I haven't been in a fast-food at all tho. There doesn't seem much point. :? :(

:study:

Jainaday
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 3:58 am

heheh. .

yes.

I have been salad, french fries, and water girl for a good while now. ..

gitchel
Raven
Raven

22 Apr 2008, 8:51 am

Thanks, Folks. I'll pass your comments on tp my boy :-)

He's a clever fellow. I'd expect to see more helpful essay's soon. :-)

[email protected]

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 8:59 am

I mess up every time they ask me questions at MCD or BK. Then the personnel always treats me as if I were slow and dumb.

Thanks for the article. The second part helped some. I actually wanted to ask a friend to go to BK. (It's in a place where next to nobody can easily go to, fur whatever mysterious nonsensical reason.)

And BK always asks me questions I don't understand. They I just go shaking my head all the time.

I'll try to make a point to get to the sauce question next time. A friend told me they'd asked whether I wanted onions too.

REM
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Apr 2008, 10:43 am

That was good, love this bit:

Earphones. If you have never walked around with a pair of earbuds in ( preferably a color that stands out from your clothes ), please try it! People will assume you are listening to music and not bother you! I wear my earbuds about 50% of the time; and about 80% of that, they aren’t playing music.

:lol:

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 12:15 pm

That was a great article, and very helpful! It's like social stories for adults. I have a few other everyday situations that I could use an articulate outline to help me get through. (I'm kinda embarrassed to say what they are, though. It seems at 29 that I'd have figured it out already)

This article reminds me of another one that I read some time ago about a severely autistic man that ate at McD's everyday, and always ordered the same meal. It turned out that he didn't even like the meal that he'd been ordering for several yrs, but he didn't know how to order anything else, until one day someone showed him how. He was so happy that he cried while eating it.

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 12:36 pm

Excellent! :D

I don't eat fast food though, so I'd love to see articles about what to do in a pub and in a restaurant :)

Dodgy circuitry! Diagnosed: Tourette syndrome. Suspected: auditory processing disorder, synaesthesia. Also: social and organisation problems. Heteroromantic asexual (though still exploring)

gitchel
Raven
Raven

22 Apr 2008, 1:40 pm

Thanks, again, folks. :-)

Well, part of the reason for posting this article was to get a sense of wether it was a useful kind of thing. Apparently, it is. I will talk to Isaac about it tonight.

In the meantime, if you have other topics you feel might do well to help autistics/aspies deal with the rest of the planet, please trot them out!

And if you prefer to keep it confidential (Serenity ;-) just email me.

There's no reason we can't have a collection of useful techniques for getting through a day with a bit more cheer :-)

[email protected]

devster21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Apr 2008, 3:23 pm

Good article. He also needs to cover what to do when they mess up your order and its something you can't eat. That always stresses me out.

tharn
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Apr 2008, 4:20 pm

Thank you so much for the comments on the article, everyone. ^_^ I really enjoyed writing it!

2ukenkerl - If you're referring to my suggestion that everyone order ranch dressing and medium-cooked burgers, I think you missed a subtle point here. I don't think these choices are everyone's favorites, just that they are reliable choices, and that they are edible. Getting a meal just to your liking is extra credit once you get the basics down; I ordered honey-mustard dip just the other day, and it was well worth the strife. ;)

Greyhound - Ah, restraunts - an advanced class. :D I'll give that some consideration; I certainly have a few tricks I've come to depend on there!

devster21 - Did you keep your receipt? Yet another reason to do so! If you have a lot of courage, or the pick-up line is tame, butt in and ask someone. If your nerves are shot or pick-up is crowded, you might have to get in the order line and wait patiently. Once it's your turn, produce your receipt and your food - which will be easy, since you ordered it "to go" - and in as polite a voice as you can, say: "I'm terribly sorry, but this isn't what I ordered." If questioned any further, reply that you are allergic (even if you aren't technically); you shouldn't have to explain further. Take your receipt back if possible, and let them try it again. Hope that answers your question! ^_^

Thanks again, ppl! I look forward to writing on more topics!