An Asperger's Obsession With SAVING Money?! !??

Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 6:26 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
You're right, I'll probably be pretty all right.

I'm fortunate I took that tip from that girl---to come to the interview for my present job 36 years ago. She didn't get the job, by the way!

I almost didn't go for that interview!

Wow! If you hadn't gone to the interview, Tony Randall would have been proved right (just kidding). You are always impressive, kraftiekortie!

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 6:28 pm

LOL...Tony Randle thought I was a profligate gambler when I was a senior in high school. We were pitching quarters!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 6:32 pm

She was kind of a cute blonde girl, actually.

I regret never having thanked her.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2016, 11:05 am

I have been in a "try to spend as little as possible" phase for the past few years of my life. Kind of like special interest for me-trying to find ways to get by on less or make something work out instead of having to replace it. My wife is pretty good about being thrifty but she really likes to spend money on her hobbies and interests, but she is not one to go out and drop hundreds at the mall on shopping trips. My daughter on the other hand.......

It would be much easier to be thrifty if I was single, as you are the only one controlling the money. I did have 2 car accidents this summer-both my fault-which set us back $4200 or so, so that really has me trying to save money. I have sold quite a few things I didn't need on ebay. I also will buy some ham radio equipment off of various places on the internet and resell it for a profit.

It actually is kind of fun trying to get by on less, and figuring out new ways to do it. Can't hurt to have some extra money in the bank.

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Sep 2016, 11:14 am

I save nothing, I'm in debt and I couldn't care less. If I drop dead it's somebody else's problem not mine.

Somewhere completely different:

Autism Social Forum

I am no longer active on this forum, I've quit.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2016, 1:52 pm

My husband had to take over the finances because I get so obsessed with saving money it causes me distress when we get unexpected bills and it makes me a cheapskate and a financial abuser because of my anxiety. My husband couldn't stand not being able to spend any money for himself like on a drink or on a bag of chips because I had to save save save for a new baby and I had to be prepared for any surprises. I do not like surprises but who does? The only difference is how I handle those surprises and I doubt other people take it this far. I even thought about taking my husbands cards away so he couldn't spend any money but he decided to take over the finances and I wouldn't have to worry about money ever again because he said I couldn't handle it. It was driving him crazy but his spending was also driving me crazy so I was having anxiety over it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

north404
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Sep 2016, 10:17 am

I save because I feel I don't deserve to spend it.

It's money from my parents, since I don't work, but yeah for example ... since middle school, I never bought lunch (though I took lunch money when my parents gave it me and saved up) and just took naps or did homework because I felt I don't deserve lunch lol; it's also a self-discipline thing I guess.

QuirkyCookie

29 Sep 2016, 7:10 am

Yep same here! I am Scrooge, to some extent (not always).

I do spend money if it's necessary (both on things I need and what I do not need), but I tend to prefer not to spend money if I do not really, really have to.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2016, 9:14 am

Symptoms of Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder...

Quote:
A pervasive pattern of preoccupation with orderliness, perfectionism, and mental and interpersonal control, at the expense of flexibility, openness, and efficiency, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by four (or more) of the following:

-Is preoccupied with details, rules, lists, order, organization, or schedules to the extent that the major point of the activity is lost
-Shows perfectionism that interferes with task completion (e.g., is unable to complete a project because his or her own overly strict standards are not met)
-Is excessively devoted to work and productivity to the exclusion of leisure activities and friendships (not accounted for by obvious economic necessity)
-Is overconscientious, scrupulous, and inflexible about matters of morality, ethics, or values (not accounted for by cultural or religious identification)
-Is unable to discard worn-out or worthless objects even when they have no sentimental value
-Is reluctant to delegate tasks or to work with others unless they submit to exactly his or her way of doing things
-Adopts a miserly spending style toward both self and others; money is viewed as something to be hoarded for future catastrophes
-Shows significant rigidity and stubbornness