Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 2:15 pm

My true self isn’t believable

This week I bought some Gregorian Chant CD, advertised on Classic FM. I bought it because it is more relaxing then baroque.

When I came into work, I thought I would call my workmate Gemma, the beauty of the office, to see if she was at work as she was ill because of the late night witching the match and drinking. Couldn’t get through, but she returned the call later, while I was playing the CD, Gamma said,’ what is that playing in the background’ so I told her and wittingly saying that I have a healthy attitude to music.

The same workmate said I am again trying to impress everyone of how interesting I am. Gemma said that I do actually like that music, I always play classical music in my car. He said do I really enjoy that music. It is like reading the Daily-Times with Harry Potter inside.

He will not be convinced that I am a different guy who is trying to be the same as everyone else not vice versa. I do have artists that I pretend to like; Linal Richie and Luther Van Dross.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

24 May 2008, 2:42 pm

Maybe they would be more comfortable if you listened to Gangsta Rap and wore your pants halfway down your ass. People I work with know that I like KMFDM, Filter, Blondie and such, so some of them have been surprised that I also have Sarah Chang playing Mendelssohn or a version of Debussy's Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun in my truck. It doesn't sound like there is anything you can do about it but leave them to their misconceptions.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 2:56 pm

People do a lot of "projecting" their own motivations on to others. That is one of the main reasons I believe that NT's actually suffer from lack of theory of mind even more then ASers. I see examples of it every day when people accuse me of things that I have never even thought of to do or think or feel...truly a shame. One good think about this though, is that they are not aware that they are doing it so it's an interesting way to figure out how "their minds" work and what motivates them. Chances are. this person does exactly what she is accusing you off...pretending to like things to empress others with how "hip/cool/sophisticated/etc" she is :wink:

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 2:58 pm

believe it or not, I've heard some African-American stations state "...and no rap". As the origin and basis of every popular musical form in American history, going back to 1840s 'minstrel shows', there's all sorts of styles that are authentic, and you could come back at them with that.

African Americans have influenced classical music (Scott Joplin's Treemonisha comes to mind, and Rhapsody in Blue also comes to mind, though based on an African-American musical style)

Ok, 'PC' time over. I think, and can sympathize, that why should people be defined as having to like one form of music or another, based on their ethnicity? (I'm sorry, but I can only take so much bagpipe music..;) At least that's my take.

I think you should be applauded for whatever kind of music you want to listen to. I like rock, electronica, progressive, ska, two-tone, and variously smaller amounts of jazz, country, and even an odd rap song or two (at my age!...;) I mainly listen to what I like, though I get the same attitude from the missus, for liking 'mundane' music (she has a small vocabulary...;)

Just like what you like, and if they have a problem, it's their problem.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 3:53 pm

pakled wrote:
Just like what you like, and if they have a problem, it's their problem.

That's my attitude also. I like what music I like, it's not a fashion statement. My collection consists of lots of classical music, electronic rave music, heavy rock / metal and a mixture of 80's stuff. Music for the whatever mood I'm in.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2008, 1:08 pm

My true self isn't believable either. If I want someone to believe me, I have to lie.

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2008, 2:33 pm

Yeah, I also have to lie to appear believable. In music, I listen to what I like to listen, no less and no more, it's no a fashion statement - I couldn't care less what particular tribe also likes it, or what the musician/singer/whatever gets up to when not performing, how they dress, etc. I have Bach and Amy Winehouse in my music collection.

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

25 May 2008, 7:51 pm

Greentea wrote:
My true self isn't believable either. If I want someone to believe me, I have to lie.

I believe you Greentea because you are a proud Autisnob. :D