Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

veruniel
Toucan
Toucan

31 May 2008, 9:08 am

What noise do you encounter from day to day that you find most irritating?

For me it's scuffers. You know, people who drag their feet so the soles of their shoes rasp against the sidewalk. It drives me out of my skull to be walking along with one of these people behind me, and I'm so sensitive to the noise that sometimes I mistake them for being right behind me when they're half a block away.

And why do they always seem to come in bunches? One day I'll go through my routine without meeting a single scuffer, and the next I'll have to deal with five of them at once! Sometimes I think certain residents of my city should be given mandatory lessons in how to walk properly.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 9:19 am

Screaming kids
Throat clearing
Grunting
The heavy bassline in most of today's music
Motorcycles
Stupid cell phone ring tones

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 10:09 am

Human-noise!

Sometimes including talking, but usually not and instead all other sounds from breathing to making strange sounds really bother me.

I like the sound of a mower or motorcycle in the middle of an exam better than a loud breathing, swallowing and soundly person!

I was surprised to find out the majority of my classmates likes these human sounds whereas they can't stand the mower/motorcycle. (We talked about it.)

NUTLOG
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 May 2008, 11:32 am

The sound of old people, with their slow, heavy breathing and that squelchy sound as they shuffle their false teeth around in their mouths. :eew: or the sound of birds in my garden, repeating exactly the same noise over and over at seemingly random intervals, then you have 30 of them doing that all at the same time causing the most horrendous noise imaginable, damn nature, leave my ears the hell alone. :wall: Or the sound of glass hitting glass, to me that's just painful. Or the sound of a clock ticking. Or the sound of my own voice. Or the sound of a thousand unicycling midgets playing the spoons in a dimly lit cave. Ok, so that one doesn't occur very often in day to day life, but it's still annoying.

Jeyradan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 May 2008, 11:40 am

Somewhat bothersome:
- my direct supervisor is a compulsive throat-clearer
- high-pitched, beeping timers that go for a full minute

Truly painful:
- the scritching of the metal fire-starters we use to light Bunsen burners

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 11:40 am

I hate loud noises I can't control and/or loud noises I didn't brace myself for.

For instance when I go to concerts, I KNOW that it's gonna be loud, So i don't have a problem with it. I've gone to a concert by a noise rock duo from Providence called Lightning Bolt who like to play in the middle of the audience. They are also the single loudest band on the planet (and it's just a bassist and a drummer). And I enjoyed it because I knew full and well it would be loud.

However, among the noises I hate:
- The Crazy Frog ringtone
- car alarms
- my apartment building's fire alarm (one time a kid pulled it at 10PM because his mother made him come in. Basically none of the fire alarm pulls in the past year have been for actual fires.)
- jackhammers
- REO Speedwagon
- My downstairs neighbor's Pekingese (because it never shuts up).
- any talking pop up ad for instance there's one hear on WP at the bottom of the page for smiley faces and one of the smiley faces says "NO WAY!! !!". It annoys me. I also hate the one that says "CONGRATULATIONS! YOU JUST WON A FREE IPOD NANO/XBOX 360/IPHONE/LAPTOP.
- There's a commercial in Rhode Island for a car dealership (Ocean Staters know which one. Balise I think.) that features an alarm clock and a guy screaming "WAKE UP!! !" (to good deals? I dunno). They always run it at like 1:30AM. And I sometimes sleep with my TV on.

jamescampbell
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 May 2008, 12:58 pm

baloon squeaks
squeeling babys
screams
rap songs (they just noise to Time)

chocoholic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 May 2008, 12:59 pm

Screaming, crying, whining kids
Motorcycles
Barking dogs (even though I have 3 of them)
Garbage trucks
Fake sounding or weird laughs
Fire alarms
People wearing fancy dress shoes that clank whenever they take a step
Coworkers who make annoying high pitched noises to tease each other
Any noises, especially nonrhythmic ones, that I can't prepare myself for

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot, but that's off the top of my head right now. Sometimes if I'm having a bad day where I just want to be left alone, people talking will really get under my skin, especially if they're talking to me. This one doesn't happen all the time though.

Alaspi
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 1:03 pm

People chewing their food while smacking their lips and slurping....ewwww.

Hugging is natural, organic, naturally sweet, free of pesticides and preservatives. Hugging contains no artificial ingredients. It's 100% wholesome. No calories, no caffeine, no nicotine.

nettiespaghetti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 May 2008, 1:14 pm

When people sniffle their noses, clear their throats...and snoring. And ringtones on cell phones, people pick the dumbest things and it drives me nuts to suddenly be surprised by some stupid song blasting out of nowhere.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 1:16 pm

Jeyradan wrote:
Somewhat bothersome:
- my direct supervisor is a compulsive throat-clearer
- high-pitched, beeping timers that go for a full minute

Truly painful:
- the scritching of the metal fire-starters we use to light Bunsen burners

I FORGOT about the sparkers! I hate those ALSO!

In the last week:

In no particular order...

1. The people talking by my cube FOR NO REASON!
2. Whistling.
3. The HUMMING lately.
4. This one idiot here that screams out "Hello" in a high pitched voice LOUDLY half the time she sees me. THAT is bad enough, but her voice has such a pitch that a WHISPER from her hurts my ears.

Adding others is things like:

5. base from others.
6. alarms.
7. whistles and noises of a pitch that hurts my ears on answer services.
8. etc...

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 1:39 pm

- Screaming/crying children and infants.
- The house phone ringing (high pitched tone).
- Fancy mobile phone ringtones.
- People shouting.
- The noise of people dropping things on the floor.
- Small dogs barking.
- Car/fire/security alarms.
- People's high pitched voices.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 2:04 pm

screaming children. it seems a popular 'play' thing for little girls to get together and practice screaming together or to take turns screaming. it can go on for hours. why?

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 2:11 pm

Postperson wrote:
screaming children. it seems a popular 'play' thing for little girls to get together and practice screaming together or to take turns screaming. it can go on for hours. why?

yes. I have noticed this with children around where I live.

oh, another thing I hate: Telephones ringing on the TV. Especially late at night. For instance, I went to sleep with Comedy Central on, and at 12-ish they show uncut films. That night it was "Shaun of the Dead" (which is a funny film and I own it on DVD), in the first 20 minutes of that film, there is like 40 instances of telephones/cell phones going off.

creepycrawly36
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 May 2008, 2:18 pm

industrial vacuums, gas mowers, timers in fast food places, nasaly breathers, metal cutlery on dishes and teeth, crowded noisy places. To alleviate some of these problems, I have a quieter electric mower, but I still wear ear plugs. I still like to go out and socialize once in awhile , so I prepare by getting enough sleep, since I do the grocery shopping in my family I wear headphones to drown out the ppl noises. I use plastic cutlery often but not always, and I prefer spoons, forks send me over the edge sometimes. Can't do anything about the timers in fast food places except get irritable.

jamescampbell
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 May 2008, 6:07 pm

DocStrange wrote:
Postperson wrote:

sadly screming for no reason can also continue into adult hood