When spoken to you, do you repeat alongside?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 5:14 pm

When someone talks to you, do you need to repeat their words in your mind (or out loud) in order to understand what is being said?

If, for example, someone is saying to you: 'Do you want to order a coke or a bottle of water now? You repeat the question alongside word-for-word to understand it.

I do this. With the years, it just happened that I automatically repeat them alongside in my mind. I still repeated out loud half of the time until I left kindergarten, but not since then. Everything that's being said to anyone is repeated in my mind so that I understand the words. If I somehow can't do it, I can't discern the words.

And, I wondered if there's someone who does it almost naturally too so that nobody usually notices? I sometimes slip and repeat things out loud though, because I'm a chatterbox and just speak what's on my mind without considering. It's so embarrassing if I happen to repeat something out loud that is embarrassing in the first place.

Jeyradan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jun 2008, 5:24 pm

If I am not focused on/not interested in what is being said, I do this a lot. So it occurs fairly often, since I'm usually pretty unimodal and therefore am not always "tuned into" what's being asked at that moment.
If it's a question about something I'm interested in, or some work I'm doing at the time, I don't have to.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 6:40 pm

I don't think I used to do it much, but NOW I do.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 7:45 pm

Yeah, I do that. Or should say, have that happen. It's like a mental tape loop that allows a couple of more passes to hear what the words are. I'm in my late 30's, and by 25 or so I thought it was totally undetectable. Lately, though, I've realized there's still a delay, but such that I'm unaware of it.

I rarely speak the 'loop' out loud, but sometimes (especially if there's distracting noises around) that happens a little bit.

In a way it seems like an extension of something normal -- like if someone has a heavy accent sometimes people will repeat back to them what they think the heard: "'Do I want some iced tea?' Is that what you asked?"

Seems like it's probably a CAPD thing?