Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Ryan
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Nov 2005, 1:54 am

hi everyone, I just want to know if you think i have Aspergers. i haven't been diagnosed but i have never been the same since 8th grade. I fit in very well in elementary and middle school but, i couldnt help but notice in High school I showed very little interest in meeting new people and getting in a relationship. I have good eye contact but when i see people far away i naturally look the other way even if i know them. ive never had to try in school but i always make decent grades. I'm really good at sports like basketball and football but i struggle with simple things like tying knots. Ive known for awhile that im "different" and have accepted it but i want to know why i turned out this way. Its confusing and frustrating. Thanks :?

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2005, 2:23 am

Welcome to WrongPlanet! :)

I am not sure if you have AS. You said you fit in well in elementary and middle school, and most people with AS didn't. However, you do seem to at least have some social anxiety. Maybe you should go see a psychologist, as one could help you decide whether or not you have it more than we can. Whether or not you officially have AS, you do have struggles with social interaction, and you are welcome to be a part of our community here.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2005, 9:19 am

Not sure. You could be AS. You might not. Although we here have personal experience, we don't have professional experience. Why not put off your conclusion and just post for awhile? And see if what we say starts sounding familiar. Then maybe you can come to a conclusion about feeling secure in seeking a diagnosis.

Now's the time to do some informal research and see if AS "fits". :D

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

alex
Developer
Developer

07 Nov 2005, 10:15 am

Ryan wrote:
hi everyone, I just want to know if you think i have Aspergers. i haven't been diagnosed but i have never been the same since 8th grade. I fit in very well in elementary and middle school but, i couldnt help but notice in High school I showed very little interest in meeting new people and getting in a relationship. I have good eye contact but when i see people far away i naturally look the other way even if i know them. ive never had to try in school but i always make decent grades. I'm really good at sports like basketball and football but i struggle with simple things like tying knots. Ive known for awhile that im "different" and have accepted it but i want to know why i turned out this way. Its confusing and frustrating. Thanks :?

That sounds a lot like Asperger's. However, even if you donh't have AS, you can get a lot of help here with social situations. Good luck!

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2005, 10:32 am

It doesn't sound like Apsergers to me, more like Social Anxiety. The development stuff tends to hit harder early and lessens over time, although demends of HS increase the social pressure sometimes.

You are more than welcome to persue our boards, in any case, and I welcome you.