Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Mum2ASDboy
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 4:18 pm

What helps you to focus and concentrate on a task that you might not really like???

sim
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 4:24 pm

Usually music.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

31 Jul 2008, 4:25 pm

White noise. I figured out a long time ago that I need to have music, or telly, or fan, or something going in the background so that I can concentrate on anything. Drives my husband nuts. I tell people that I have my brain and in the back of my brain I have a little guy whose job it is to jump up and down and distract me. He is very good at his job. So, I have to have white noise going on to keep him busy so that I can get stuff I have to get done, done. Otherwise, I would never get anything done.

Tracker
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 4:25 pm

Having a reason to do so.

For example, if I am told to do something simply because the person in charge says so, I tend to lack motivation. 'I said so' doesn't really inspire me. However, If I understand the reason why some task needs to be completed, its much easier to understand, and concentrate on that task.

If your trying to teach your son how to count or something, then try explaining why its useful, and give examples. Once he understands the importance of it, he should do better at learning it.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 4:28 pm

Liverbird wrote:
White noise. I figured out a long time ago that I need to have music, or telly, or fan, or something going in the background so that I can concentrate on anything. Drives my husband nuts. I tell people that I have my brain and in the back of my brain I have a little guy whose job it is to jump up and down and distract me. He is very good at his job. So, I have to have white noise going on to keep him busy so that I can get stuff I have to get done, done. Otherwise, I would never get anything done.

Is that guy anything like your son? Maybe you can give him to your ex for your son! :? 8O

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

31 Jul 2008, 4:30 pm

No, he's much more annoying. But that would be great if I could. Thanks for making me laugh!

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 4:43 pm

I'm just thinking of homework during the first years of elementary school, which I could easily do but which I couldn't at all concentrate on. It took longer than the few minutes it could have taken, because I hated having to do what I already knew.

Even though I didn't like it when I was left alone to do them, it helped a lot to make me get them done. I left the table and ran into the living-room and would be sent back then, which was the right thing to do. I also never stayed seated for more than a few seconds or at most a few minutes and would instead run around or stand on my chair, dance around or do other silly things. I'd do homework standing, from across the table etc.

If left to do spending time on something else, I'd get back at my homework after no more than a minute or 2. Apparently, I was responsible enough to know I had to get back at homework eventually.

Today I have music on when I do work. I also have the TV running in the background, but I think that is not very typically autistic but more of an AD(H)D symptom.

Mum2ASDboy
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 4:44 pm

Hmm I could try the white noise thing with him altho he has problems focusing alot of the time. A fan tho would NOT work, he would just sit there and watch it spin :lol:
He just never seems to pay attention to what he is doing, unless of course it is something he loves.