Page 2 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 4:11 pm

Kirska wrote:
One of my brother's best friends that committed suicide while my brother was at a swim meet when he was 15 called my dad a few weeks after he died and asked if my brother was okay and hung up. I consider it proof that those that commit suicide feel shame and guilt in the afterlife. It's not a resolution.

Yeah. What has stopped me many times, is what someone told me once: "The way you feel now? Imagine feeling like that forever, only without even your body to hold you to the reality that your thinking when you're depressed is distorted."

At the time I wasn't sure if I believed in an afterlife, but the idea that there was even a chance of it really lasting forever like that made me realize that living with the possibility of it changing, and dying with the possibility of it never changing... one of the possibilities was worse, and living wasn't it. Worst case (in my rather distorted sense of "worse" at the time), I'd live long enough that I'd die of something else anyway.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 4:18 pm

This is probably the safest place you will find.
Talk about your specific problem.
Someone will say "I have been there."

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 4:29 pm

"To be or not to be"

This is the only question of merit. And it can only be answered by each individual. The Myth of Sisyphus by Albert Camus discusses this very issue.

I long ago decided to treat life as absurd. There is no reason beyond that which we invent for ourselves. Animals do not need a reason to exist. Existence in itself is their goal. Existence however painful is preferable to the state of non-existence (death). When Odysseus met Achilles in the underworld, Achilles said that he would rather be a slave on earth than a king in the underworld.

I do not fear non-existence but I do not seek it out. I'm am looking forward to the peace but I enjoy simply being.

Remember that one's feelings will necessarily change and one will not always be miserable.

Talk to your doctor about your feelings, they cannot help you if you don't let them. Ask for help.

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 4:31 pm

look, you can talk about this. It can get better, i've felt exactly like that, but i'm starting to find a light at the end of that tunnel.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 4:50 pm

Tempy wrote:
i feel like i dont belong anywhere. am afraid to tell my doctor because i dont want to end up in a hospital, almost ended up there once already.

i need someone to convince me not to, need to talk about it or ill just sit there and think about it. where to get something like sleeping pills i could just swallow it all away.

What effect would killing yourself have on those around you, like your mum and dad? They would be very upset, very sad. They might think it was their fault that you died. And that is the kind of feeling that follows people for the rest of their lives. Do your parents know how bad you feel? Tell them anyway, and let them know that you are in danger of hurting yourself.

I don't want you to swallow those pills because we all need you here at WrongPlanet. You are needed and you do belong even if you do not realize it.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 5:00 pm

Tempy wrote:
Ive thought about it. I feel autistic deep in my bones, but i got dx as psychosis-nos, the doc wont change it i cant afford to see a paid one (i go to goverment clinic) and ive thought maybe dying would be better =_= to make it all go away. No one seems to understand why simple things are so damn hard for me.
why he should chance it? u can have 2 diagnoses there has no-limit for those u can get psycosis and autism etc if u cant win em join em but suisiding is not option :)

Last edited by Followthereaper90 on 12 Aug 2008, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 5:02 pm

((((((((((((Tempy))))))))))))) Just sending a hug.

Taking a break.

ablomov
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Aug 2008, 5:04 pm

My low point was mid /late teens. No-one would have been bothered. i was in digs anyway, dad was dead - chucked out of the house. I'm not sure if i felt worse while I still lived at 'home' on reflection i probably felt worse then. Could not connect with anyone.Yet I am bright and well read - self educated. Once I was in digs I could get out into the landscape, be more / develop myself. I was on day release to technical college and hated it, like school sort of among others I was so different from, no connection. I was among a class of older 'young men' this probably was an advantage so at least their maturity started to narrow the gap.

i have always maintained that as long as i am interested in 'stuff' landscape, natural history, my business - I will be okay.

Hang on in, get 'interested'.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 5:08 pm

(((((((((Tempy))))))))))

I also send you a hug. :)

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Aug 2008, 6:10 pm

Shouldn't this be in the Haven?

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 6:12 pm

Um..I have a younger cousin who commited suicide.
He might possibly have been an aspie.
I was not really close to him, but I still think about him often...especially when I meet ADults..who were born in the same year he was...because they are adults and he will never be one...I just think it's a shame..that he felt he had to take his life...because things do get better.
I was maybe 8 or 9 when I first started having thoughts of suicide..I went through a very long dark phase where every day I would dwell on how worthless and defective I thought myself to be...and how I did not deserve to live.
I recall certain other members of my family threatening to commit suicide...and that was always scary and disturbing...

Up through my 20's I would continue to the have these feelings....but I am glad I never succumbed to them...there is alot more joy that can be found in existance than in non-existance...

psmaster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Aug 2008, 6:24 pm

My cousin committed suicide when he was in his mid-20's. He lost his job, his house, and everything he owned. His girlfriend was going to have a baby. He committed suicide right in front of his father. He drenched himself in gasoline, and even drank some, and set himself on fire. It was a horrible loss, it was in early 2001, and I have never met my cousin because his girlfriend committed suicide when she was 5 months pregnant.
What the moral of this is, do not even consider suicide as an option, it hurts many people.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 8:17 pm

Sorry about my outburst earlier, still not feeling to good, I just got back from the vets an hour ago, I had to put one of my ferrets to sleep, she had lymphoma.

aguales
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Aug 2008, 10:01 pm

Suicide is not the answer. Suicide can feel like the final aspirin to get rid of the pain. But the pain continues. It continues in the form of what could have been.

If you have nothing left to fight for, then fight against self-anhilation. Nobody knows if things'll get better or worse. But to live on is to be a survivor. And being a survivor in the face insurmountable struggle carries with it a dignity that no one can take away.

Please reconsider.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 10:35 pm

adverb wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHihavkO-pw

but i still like that song. pretty and sentimental.

that song is sad... :| :(

EDIT: and the video is worse, especially the end...

dtoxic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2008, 12:02 am

I've used anger to avoid suicide in the past. It's obvious that the universe hates my guts and would be pleased if I did myself in. So I will spite the universe by living on.
I also agree with whoever said to treat life as absurd. It really is. So there's no need to step out prematurely. Just watch some more of the circus that this existence is.
Even the math people have the right idea - there is a chance things will get better, and you will reach a point where you are glad you didn't off yourself.
Things have not gotten a lot better since I last gave serious thought to suicide. But they got a little better and I had some interesting experiences that were probably better than dying. So I've collected a couple of points for sticking around.