I almost never got in trouble as a kid ...

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

steelback
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Aug 2008, 3:36 pm

... is there a problem with that? I didn't get into fights, all my teachers loved me, and I don't recall ever bawling my head off to my parents. But I wonder if that's really not a normal way for a child to behave. So could it be that my need to be accepted by my elders deprived me of an ability to identify with people of my own age?

BokeKaeru
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 3:39 pm

Not a problem at all. It's good that you got along with your parents and teachers, especially after all the stories I've seen here about the reverse being true. If there's something abnormal or problematic about having a good, healthy childhood where your guardians and mentors liked you, this is a sick, sick world.

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 3:40 pm

Hehe. I rarely got into trouble with the teachers, but the other kids just hated me. I did get talked to from time to time for being "off task" - my teachers would take away my drawings and books. But no, I was usually teachers pet.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 4:51 pm

patternist wrote:
Hehe. I rarely got into trouble with the teachers, but the other kids just hated me. I did get talked to from time to time for being "off task" - my teachers would take away my drawings and books. But no, I was usually teachers pet.

Same here.

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 4:55 pm

Me too, I remember back in the day the teachers and parents used to like me. Its only like the past 2 years, after I turned 18 I became some subtle trouble. Going to college, adults not liking me, getting into fights with my parents during breaks. Its interesting how that happen. When I learned to stop being so mindless, obedient and expand my mind and my opinions, my parents dislike it.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 5:00 pm

I obey the rules when they are clearly spelled out. I did not often get into trouble, I was usually quiet and polite.

Kauf039
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Aug 2008, 5:19 pm

I've only ever had one teacher who did not like me... and after I was out of her class she started sucking up to me. She would come up being all nice and smiley... it was wierd.

Anyway, I get told all the time from my Mom that "I didn't know how easy I had it with you." in reference to my bother and sister.

I can only remember getting into one fight with my "peers" and I don't even remember what it was about. Most of the time I was considered as the "nice" person and was able to go through areas of the highschool which all of my friends were frightened to go though due to the "bullies" of the school actually liking and protecting me to some length. I was never popular, but people new me and liked me... even though I was always at arms length.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 6:27 pm

I never got in trouble at home, but had my fair share in school...nothing too awful though.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 6:48 pm

I very rarely got in trouble as a child. I was always the proverbial "good girl". I'm still that way to this day. :)

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 6:58 pm

steelback wrote:
... is there a problem with that? I didn't get into fights, all my teachers loved me, and I don't recall ever bawling my head off to my parents. But I wonder if that's really not a normal way for a child to behave. So could it be that my need to be accepted by my elders deprived me of an ability to identify with people of my own age?

I think Aspies can get into the habit of pathologizing everything. There is nothing unhealthy about not getting into trouble. I also almost never got into trouble- never in school, and only rarely at home.

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 7:00 pm

Even when I was really argumentative when my parents, I was pretty straight-edge as far as following rules went. It's only in the past two years that I feel like I've started breaking the rules at all, because now I actually want to be independent.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 7:06 pm

princesseli wrote:
Me too, I remember back in the day the teachers and parents used to like me. Its only like the past 2 years, after I turned 18 I became some subtle trouble. Going to college, adults not liking me, getting into fights with my parents during breaks. Its interesting how that happen. When I learned to stop being so mindless, obedient and expand my mind and my opinions, my parents dislike it.

Same for me. When I was little, my parents were as strict as the drill sergeant from Full Metal Jacket. So since my spirit was broken (or at least sustained massive damage), I was a mindless, obedient drone. Even after I started college, I never stayed out past 11:00pm (I lived at home), never drank, never smoked, never got tickets of any kind. But over time, I got fed up with it. I felt like an old fart in a young man's body. Eventually, this "property of the parents" behavior pattern started to break down. That's when my parents started to antagonize me in every way they could think of: calling me every hour when I'm with my friends, throwing out my possessions I left on my desk, yelling at me for not helping them clean when they haven't even asked me, etc etc etc.

Eventually, I couldn't take it anymore and moved out. Then started acting like a newly released prisoner. For a few months after I moved out, I drank every night, smoked half a pack a day, and ate tons of fast food. I even sped while driving (yet managing to never get pulled over for it). But being on my own for the first time ever was the happiest event of my life. The downside was that I lost a job a few months later. Living off unemployment benefits was a godsend compared to moving back home. I now have a great new job, drink only on weekends, smoke just one cigarette a day, and drive pretty carefully. But I'll never forget the happiness I felt when I moved into my apartment for the first time.

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 7:24 pm

I was almost always the teacher's pet, until I did something really outrageous and shocking in middle school, and was nearly expelled.

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 7:34 pm

Quote:
I was almost always the teacher's pet, until I did something really outrageous and shocking in middle school, and was nearly expelled.

Ooooh, curious!

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 7:43 pm

patternist wrote:
Quote:

Ooooh, curious!

Hah! Me too.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 10:25 pm

People only assumed I wasn't trouble because they never paid attention to me to see. I could have done all sorts of dastardly things without them watching... :twisted:

.....But I didn't :(