Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Ishmael
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 6:49 am

I cam across an unusual, or at least I'd hope so, pamphlet today.
This pamphlet was about Aspergers, and had a section on "curing aspergers".
It said; Unfortunately, there is no cure for Aspergers yet. Behavioural modification and training are the only methods of integrating people suffering from Aspergers Syndrome into normal society.

WTF? Was I in prison, being released to the outside world? Suffering?
Suck on mah nutsack, pampthlet-writing bastards. What's that about "yet"?

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 7:35 am

Yeah, f**k you ! (the pampthlet-writing bastards :wink:).

Lately, also based on some confrontation I have had with my "friends", I've started to think that maybe some of this desire to "cure" 8O Asperger (and related conditions like ADHD) stems from SENSE OF INFERIORITY and ENVY.
It was just yesterday, I was at dinner with three "friends", and at a certain point the one I am more emotionally close to, who also happens to study philosophy and is mainly interested in the philosophy of the mind/brain and his chemistry, points out that, in his opinion, Phelps' medals at the olympics are unfair 8O because he has ADHD. His reasoning is that the condition gives him an unfair advantage over his opponents, he says he isn't normal and as such shouldn't be allowed to participate at the normal olympics, just has the handiccaped who have their paralympics. He says it isn't normal that a person dedicates all his life only to swim, he is broken, that it is unfair that he can train more than his opponents because of ADHD, and that if he is allowed to participate then everyone should be allowed to use substances to induce the same or better brain condition he has. It's hard to tell this in English, I'll cut it down, hope you get the point, to me it just MAKES NO SENSE, except ENVY for someone who has reached such an achievment.

UnusualSuspect
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Aug 2008, 10:38 am

Your friend's basic assumption is completely wrong. No one gets to the Olympics unless they are obsessively devoted to their sport. ADHD doesn't give anyone an advantage over anyone else; they just may have a different motivation for the years of intense practice. And it certainly doesn't confer any physical superiority.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 10:53 am

Ishmael wrote:
This pamphlet was about Aspergers, and had a section on "curing aspergers".
It said; Unfortunately, there is no cure for Aspergers yet. Behavioural modification and training are the only methods of integrating people suffering from Aspergers Syndrome into normal society.

WTF? Was I in prison, being released to the outside world? Suffering?
Suck on mah nutsack, pampthlet-writing bastards. What's that about "yet"?

From what I understand this was a pamphlet for NT's to get them to understand using words that are "normal" I wouldn't take it so seriously like that. I would look at it more of getting a point across in an attempt to explain.

I just laugh at the "...suffering from..." part ....

"NOOOO THE SUFFERING IT'S TO SUFFER ABLE!! !!" :lol:

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 11:21 am

UnusualSuspect wrote:
Your friend's basic assumption is completely wrong. No one gets to the Olympics unless they are obsessively devoted to their sport. ADHD doesn't give anyone an advantage over anyone else; they just may have a different motivation for the years of intense practice. And it certainly doesn't confer any physical superiority.

Exactly, that's what I told him, but you know, talking to someone who doesn't want to listen is completely pointless... :roll: whatever...

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 12:45 pm

Rainbow-Squirrel wrote:
Yeah, f**k you ! (the pampthlet-writing bastards :wink:).

Lately, also based on some confrontation I have had with my "friends", I've started to think that maybe some of this desire to "cure" 8O Asperger (and related conditions like ADHD) stems from SENSE OF INFERIORITY and ENVY.
It was just yesterday, I was at dinner with three "friends", and at a certain point the one I am more emotionally close to, who also happens to study philosophy and is mainly interested in the philosophy of the mind/brain and his chemistry, points out that, in his opinion, Phelps' medals at the olympics are unfair 8O because he has ADHD. His reasoning is that the condition gives him an unfair advantage over his opponents, he says he isn't normal and as such shouldn't be allowed to participate at the normal olympics, just has the handiccaped who have their paralympics. He says it isn't normal that a person dedicates all his life only to swim, he is broken, that it is unfair that he can train more than his opponents because of ADHD, and that if he is allowed to participate then everyone should be allowed to use substances to induce the same or better brain condition he has. It's hard to tell this in English, I'll cut it down, hope you get the point, to me it just MAKES NO SENSE, except ENVY for someone who has reached such an achievment.

GIVE ME A BREAK! The olympics is NOT for normal people!! !! !! !! It is for OBSESSED amateurs! SO WHAT if he has a natural proclivity towards such an obsession!?!? These days, MOST people take various supplements! And name ONE gymnast that didn't have a COACH!! !! !! ! And what do the coaches do, besides push them to be obsessed?!?!?

And people talk about people like the worlds fastest runners, including ones KNOWN to take steroids! I will GLADLY race ANY of them, and I will WIN! HOW!?!?!?!? EASY! I will get the fastest motorcycle I can get, and be sipping a nice cold smoothing waiting for them to arrive at the finish line!

Some may laugh at that, claim cheating, etc... NOPE! Just illustrating a point by overtly doing with they do covertly!

So tell your friend that that he has a point! The people at the olympics should be on the same diet, trained/live in the same environment, have NO coach, NO friends, NO help, NO money, NO supplements, should all be the SAME sex, SAME race, and SAME age, with the SAME training, FROM BIRTH, and NO zeal, NO endorsements, NO publicity. THEN, they can all be on a somewhat even footing. Too bad that can, and will, NEVER happen, huh?

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 4:48 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
GIVE ME A BREAK! The olympics is NOT for normal people!! !! !! !! It is for OBSESSED amateurs! SO WHAT if he has a natural proclivity towards such an obsession!?!? These days, MOST people take various supplements! And name ONE gymnast that didn't have a COACH!! !! !! ! And what do the coaches do, besides push them to be obsessed?!?!?

THEN, they can all be on a somewhat even footing. Too bad that can, and will, NEVER happen, huh?

That's exactly (among other things) what I told him, fact is his whole "reasoning" just MADE NO SENSE, he was just talking out of some personal motive (rage, envy, or something like that) and ignorance. I tried to explain him why he was wrong (he is not into sports at all while I am) using both common sense and logic reasoning, to which he is very accustomed due to his studies, but as I have already said, when someone doesn't want to listen is better to just give up and let him believe what he wants..what a moron...(this is something I'm thinking quite frequently lately, I don't know how long our "friendship" will last...)